Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to repair Rear bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife was rear ended sitting at a red light last 2 weeks ago. Fortunately it was low speed so barely any damage to her car but the guy that hit her had no license or insurance so I'm having my take care of it. I'm a bit concerned though as their estimate was quoted only at $750 in total repair coverage for the repair. Basically, just remove the bumper and respray it. I know it will be hard to tell in the pictures but it's creased pretty good, wavy at the top and had a pretty significant dent from the other cars bumper (bolt head). I know they can do magic with plastic these days but I just assumed it would be a replacement bumper and paint. Being it's the Red paint I also couldn't have imagined even just a respray being that cheap.

They want me to take it to "their" shop which has HORRIBLE reviews so I just booked an appointment with Tesla to have it repaired by them. As such, they will be paying Tesla and any difference will be out of my pocket. Both my insurance (Progressive) and Tesla only are estimating based off pictures vs in person and I haven't been able to get an estimate from Tesla on what they feel the cost will be. As such, anyone have any first hand recent experience with how much they are charging for a new bumper, paint and install? I had assumed about $2K.

Open to feedback on repair and if you think a "respray" will be it as well. Haven't been to a body shop in 20 years and all the ones friends and family recommended showed me the exit the second I told them it was a Tesla.

Big box hopefully shows the creases and wave in the bumper (makes a perfect outline of the other cars license plate). Small box is showing the dent from the bolt. In that same picture you can see the indent from the license plate as well.

Attachments

• tesla 1.jpg
    tesla 1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 637
  • tesla 2.jpg
    tesla 2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 215
  • tesla 3.jpg
    tesla 3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 276
You can’t drive without license or insurance here in the states either. Doesn’t stop people from doing it. And even if they have the books thrown at them. You are still screwed. Our model X was hit from behind by a non insured driver as well. Almost $9k of damage. Thank goodness for my insurance.

Insurance almost always do it by pictures first these days. Find your own shop. They will work with your insurance. Ask the shop about their experience with progressive. Some times insurance won’t pay for the higher shop rate at a good shop. FWIW my insurance initially estimated it to be under $3k to do my repair based on pictures. But they ended up paying ~$9k. Just missed a lot of various trim pieces from pictures. Funny enough my damage wasn’t bad but with the hatch and bumper replacement, the labor was expensive.

Taking it to Tesla collision. Tesla won't let Progressive do a shared estimate though. They will only fix it then make me fight it out with insurance. At least I know it should be a good repair.

Kind of piss poor CE but on par with them, thus why I gave up on adding an S to my garage too. I'd take it to a normal shop but all the ones I tried won't work on Tesla's, even for minor accidents. I'm mainly wanting to figure out how far off my Progressive estimate may be at only $750.

FWIW, you can buy a new pre-painted rear bumper from Tesla for ~$840. They charge another ~$150 for labor if you want them to do the install.

Perfect. I assume the red would be slightly higher but I now know that I should be in the $1k to maybe $1.5K range for the repair. I can't imagine it needs anything more than just a rear bumper as the damage was very light (my wife was very lucky).

Any thoughts on diminished value? I took a blood bath at trade in on our Durango due to some light hail damage (less than $2K worth). Carfax will now show an accident in it's history.

Reactions: EVolv3d
Wife was rear ended sitting at a red light last 2 weeks ago. Fortunately it was low speed so barely any damage to her car but the guy that hit her had no license or insurance so I'm having my take care of it. I'm a bit concerned though as their estimate was quoted only at $750 in total repair coverage for the repair. Basically, just remove the bumper and respray it. I know it will be hard to tell in the pictures but it's creased pretty good, wavy at the top and had a pretty significant dent from the other cars bumper (bolt head). I know they can do magic with plastic these days but I just assumed it would be a replacement bumper and paint. Being it's the Red paint I also couldn't have imagined even just a respray being that cheap.

They want me to take it to "their" shop which has HORRIBLE reviews so I just booked an appointment with Tesla to have it repaired by them. As such, they will be paying Tesla and any difference will be out of my pocket. Both my insurance (Progressive) and Tesla only are estimating based off pictures vs in person and I haven't been able to get an estimate from Tesla on what they feel the cost will be. As such, anyone have any first hand recent experience with how much they are charging for a new bumper, paint and install? I had assumed about $2K.

Open to feedback on repair and if you think a "respray" will be it as well. Haven't been to a body shop in 20 years and all the ones friends and family recommended showed me the exit the second I told them it was a Tesla.

Big box hopefully shows the creases and wave in the bumper (makes a perfect outline of the other cars license plate). Small box is showing the dent from the bolt. In that same picture you can see the indent from the license plate as well.
My model 3 was about $1900 after a rear end accident at a stop sign. I had the tesla body shop repair because the other guy’s insurance paid for it. Did not trust the normal body shops insurance companies recommend after having issues with my Nissan’s in the past.

Perfect. I assume the red would be slightly higher but I now know that I should be in the $1k to maybe $1.5K range for the repair. I can't imagine it needs anything more than just a rear bumper as the damage was very light (my wife was very lucky).

Any thoughts on diminished value? I took a blood bath at trade in on our Durango due to some light hail damage (less than $2K worth). Carfax will now show an accident in it's history.
If there was no police report, no insurance claim and paid for by you it shouldn’t show on carfax.

If there was no police report, no insurance claim and paid for by you it shouldn’t show on carfax.

Already a police report as the guy didn't have any insurance, ID, papers, etc. I had no way of even knowing who he was other than the verbal name he gave and a phone number he was giving me. Police officer took the report and sent us on our way while he figured things out with the other driver and what to do. My insurance is also paying for the repairs. If I knew it would be this cheap I wouldn't have involved anyone but I figured it would be a couple grand to fix and that's what I pay insurance for.

Already a police report as the guy didn't have any insurance, ID, papers, etc. I had no way of even knowing who he was other than the verbal name he gave and a phone number he was giving me. Police officer took the report and sent us on our way while he figured things out with the other driver and what to do. My insurance is also paying for the repairs. If I knew it would be this cheap I wouldn't have involved anyone but I figured it would be a couple grand to fix and that's what I pay insurance for.
Given the perp's status, it was good he didn't take off. Well... that doesn't really help you out at all, just sayin'.

I'm just curious how do you buy pre-painted bumpers from Tesla? I don't even see that option on their website.
Do a "parts only" request in the Service part of the app, other the "other" category. Your local SC may take a few days to quote (depending on how busy they are) and if you confirm the order, they will let you know when it arrives and you can pick up. That's generally how parts orders are done.

The process likely is similar if you ask them to install it (just that they will add labor to it).

I feel for you. We had similar accident when parked with our Lexus getting gas. A U-Haul truck sideswiped our car. The driver didn't have his Driver License with him and he wasn't the one who rented the truck. I had to call police being I couldn't verify who he was. When police arrived the driver waid I backed into the truck. Fortunately the Costco gas station had video that the trooper was able to view. The other driver was ticketed and U-Haul paid

U-Haul paid for the repair on our car at the local Lexus Dealership body shop. When I was looking to replace with a Tesla the trade in values for the Car was $4,000 less due to the accident. That sucked. We ended up giving it to our daughter.

I'm in Porltand, OR and none of the authorized repair facilities are taking in Telsas. My front bumper and to a small degree, my hood, was damaged. I had the car towed because I was afraid of safety and of voiding my warranty. My 2023 NYLR is only 6 months old. I want to get it into a shop so they can tell me if my car is drivable. Does anyone know of a local shop - closer than Seattle - a 3 hour drive? I live in CA and asked the insurance company to transport it there - where there are tons of facilities. They (of course) declined). I can't get back home to CA without me car and I need to get back!

Attachments

• Tesla front bumper and hood damage.jpg
    Tesla front bumper and hood damage.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 190
Can't help there but just got our car back. Bill was $2700. I have to take the car back to be redone though (in Nov). In the parking lot someone hit the front of our car the day we were supposed to pick it up. They put a new front bumper on it but the paint is bubbling so they are going to redo it.