Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any experience with 3 adults in the backseat on a trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So relatives coming into town and we will need to make a three hour car trip. I'd like to take them in my LR RWD Model 3 to give them the EV experience, maybe even let a couple of them drive for a portion of the trip. There will be a total of 5 adults however which means there will always be 3 sitting in the back seat. Everybody is over 60 so we'll obviously make a stop or two for bio breaks, snacks and stretching. Wondering if this will just be too uncomfortable for everyone? Anyone out there tried a trip like this? The alternative is for me to rent some larger ICE vehicle like an SUV. What do you think?

No tall people in the group so head will not be an issue but a few are on the larger side, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, that's going to be uncomfortable then. 3 in the back is pretty tight even if everyone is uh, 'non-Texas' sized. Even 2 in the back isn't the most comfy just because of the way the seats are.

I can say I had some friends complain about 2 hour car trips with only 2 of them in the back seat. No complaints from the front seat, though.

I’ve done 3 in the back for 1 hour and it was perfectly fine, but I’m not sure I’d like to do 3 hours with older people. They did find the car to be much roomier than it looks though and couldn’t stop talking about the experience (I warned them before smashing the go pedal).

It’s worth just your sanity alone to go rent a minivan for the day or two. People already don’t like people and relatives just escalates that dis-like...then you put them shoulder to shoulder for hours on end? You’ll be a deadman before the trip is over!

I read an article the other day about Costco has great prices on rental cars. Something to check out if you’re a member or worth signing up for too

The Best Costco Membership Benefit Is Cheap Car Rentals

• Funny
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
We had a wine tasting adventure last year that had us at full capacity of five. It was about an hour each way from home to Amador County where the wine is. Plus a number of shorter rides within Amador. Folks were reasonably comfortable, though longer trips might be less so. There were two recurring issues:
  1. Getting seat belts on. With three adult butts in a row, there's not much room left for manipulating seat belt buckles. So there was a bit of a game that developed for who would move when and in what way to facilitate everyone getting buckled.
  2. This was before we had Easy Entry set well. So when I was the driver, and my profile activated, the driver's seat would move down and back to fit me, crushing the feet of the person behind me who had just gotten settled. (Technically, this is independent of having three across in the back, but it was almost like if folks were being squished side-to-side, they were compensating by stretching out their legs.)

We had a wine tasting adventure last year that had us at full capacity of five. It was about an hour each way from home to Amador County where the wine is. Plus a number of shorter rides within Amador. Folks were reasonably comfortable, though longer trips might be less so. There were two recurring issues:
  1. Getting seat belts on. With three adult butts in a row, there's not much room left for manipulating seat belt buckles. So there was a bit of a game that developed for who would move when and in what way to facilitate everyone getting buckled.
  2. This was before we had Easy Entry set well. So when I was the driver, and my profile activated, the driver's seat would move down and back to fit me, crushing the feet of the person behind me who had just gotten settled. (Technically, this is independent of having three across in the back, but it was almost like if folks were being squished side-to-side, they were compensating by stretching out their legs.)
Thanks for the info, could it be the wine made things more comfortable? A couple of my passengers might feel that way! Anyway if I do this I'll be sure to stop at least twice during the trip and also move some people from front to the back seats.

I wouldn't do it. I occasionally have my 2 teenage boys and their pre-teen sister in the back and they are squished and complain about the squished, rough ride. Longest they've gone like that is about an hour and I wouldn't subject them to longer than that. Also buckling seat belts is an exercise in contortion for 3 teens who are not over weight. I can't imagine trying to do that with 3 over weight adults!

I've had 2 over-sized, over 60 people in the back for a 30 minute drive and they said it was not a comfortable experience and did not want to do it again. They loved the car, just not the experience in the back seat. Even getting in and out of the front seat was difficult for them because of how low the car is and the fact that there is no "oh sh*t" bar to pull on to get out.

I've ridden in the back seat, all by myself, on an hour and a half ride, and I found it to be very bumpy. Leg room was ok for me, but I'm short. I wouldn't want to spend a 3 hour drive back there, especially squished in with others.

I would give them each a demo ride in the car so they can feel the fun, but take another car for that road trip.

Newer model 3s have higher rear seats for a more comfortable fit (I think 2019 models?). So would be good if the responses here also mention the model year.
Good point. The change was earlier, though. While I forget the exact timing, I can bracket it. My son’s car has the less comfy seats, and his car was built April 2018. Ours has the improved rear seats, built July 2018.