Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any experiences with touch up paint other than factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used Touch Up Direct - Tesla white (paint code PPSW), i.e. Shasta White Pearl Tricoat is a good match for factory finish. Paint thickness on car is egg shell thin. The touch up kit includes primer, base coat, mid-coat and clear coat. TouchUpDirect has videos. In my experience when you are done with the touch up the thickness of these layers ends up being thicker than the factory finish.

Consider using Dr. Colorchip's touch up kit as Dr. Colorchip has a paint blending compound that makes it easy to fill in just the right amount of paint, wipe off excess. Dr. Colorchip has videos.

Snovvman-what did you end up doing for touch up paint? I have a decent sized chip I need to cover on my door.

I tried a few others, none matched perfectly. Either too dark or too light. Metallic paints are hard to match as is in part because of the way the flakes lay down, but MSM is a complex paint. I'm not surprised that it's hard to match. I am curious to hear from those who have the factory touch up, how well does it match?

I am super happy with Tesla touch up paint.

Attachments

• IMG_5299.jpeg
    IMG_5299.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: snovvman