Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any high mileage drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4p for a company car, have you done the maths for your mileage as a personal car? I’ve seen stories where people have opted for personal purchase and then claim the full allowance on the miles.
Edit: you will not regret the model 3. Amazed that you’d pay off the mortgage in 3 years with the Lexus, 6 years with the tesla. On your mileage I’d thought it would be the other way round.

Yes, I've opted out of the company car and get a cash allowance for years now. New company policy says cars have to be under 5 years old. The Lexus just ticked over that but my long term plan was to keep running it for another 100k (it's already done 150k) and pocket the allowance as it was fully paid off back in April.
I could claim 21p per mile on the Lexus as it was over 2L and the company uses the HMRC recommend fuel rates not the 45p per mile for the first 10k etc, so it uses the 4p per mile for EVs. I then have to claim the rest back through self assessment to get the remaining 41p per mile from the HMRC.
So with my original long term plan I would of overpaid the mortgage with the car allowance, not entirely ethical from the business point of view but cash is cash!

Reactions: Joelly