Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any idea how to clean this glass inside the autopilot camera area? This appeared after tint job…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y that was built in Dec 2023 and some wet stuff got inside this area during the tint job.

IMG_2924.jpeg

I watched this video, but read that the rear view camera may be different to remove on my Y.

Has anyone cleaned the glass in this camera module area? Any tips or tricks?

Rear view camera? You mean the in cabin camera?

I did this a little while ago. There’s nothing really to add. I’ll just go over the steps I remember, which should be the same as the video.

Soft (non-marring) pry tool to pop the plastic on the back of the mirror “arm.” It slides down, once you pop the clips/hooks near the top.

Torx tool to detach the actual mirror, unplug wires accordingly.

Use a hook type soft pry tool to pop the large plastic away from the windshield. Popping the plastic parts were pretty hard for me, with this one being the worst.

It was so bad, I had trouble when putting it back on.

Anyway, at this point, I think I left the plastic hanging by the wires. It should be fine, as long as you don’t tug on it.

After cleaning, it’s pretty much just the reverse to put things back.

Getting everything to pop back is annoying as hell, but nothing you can really do, other than to take your time and make sure everything is lined up.

There was a small hook plastic wire that keeps the smaller plastic vaguely attached. But seeing it wasn’t particularly useful, I mangled it to bits to “remove” it. Should’ve just gotten a cutter or something, but oh well.

Rear view camera? You mean the in cabin camera?

I did this a little while ago. There’s nothing really to add. I’ll just go over the steps I remember, which should be the same as the video.

Soft (non-marring) pry tool to pop the plastic on the back of the mirror “arm.” It slides down, once you pop the clips/hooks near the top.

Torx tool to detach the actual mirror, unplug wires accordingly.

Use a hook type soft pry tool to pop the large plastic away from the windshield. Popping the plastic parts were pretty hard for me, with this one being the worst.

It was so bad, I had trouble when putting it back on.

Anyway, at this point, I think I left the plastic hanging by the wires. It should be fine, as long as you don’t tug on it.

After cleaning, it’s pretty much just the reverse to put things back.

Getting everything to pop back is annoying as hell, but nothing you can really do, other than to take your time and make sure everything is lined up.

There was a small hook plastic wire that keeps the smaller plastic vaguely attached. But seeing it wasn’t particularly useful, I mangled it to bits to “remove” it. Should’ve just gotten a cutter or something, but oh well.
Thanks. Yes, I meant the cameras near the rear view mirror…thanks for explaining.

I have a 2023 Model Y with Hardware 4. Do you as well?

I’ve read to remove the mirror you can use the torx screw to remove it…but I’ve also read I may need to untwist it, like this video (around 2:30).

Obviously I’m a little nervous…but just wanted to ask what type of Y you have…I read untwisting the mirror is a little more tricky than unscrewing it.

I have a Model Y that was built in Dec 2023 and some wet stuff got inside this area during the tint job.

View attachment 1015099

I watched this video, but read that the rear view camera may be different to remove on my Y.

Has anyone cleaned the glass in this camera module area? Any tips or tricks?
You should bring it back to the guys who did the tint. If for no other reason than to let them see how their process affects this area. Best case is they will clean it for you.

Reactions: mborkow
Thanks. Yes, I meant the cameras near the rear view mirror…thanks for explaining.

I have a 2023 Model Y with Hardware 4. Do you as well?

I’ve read to remove the mirror you can use the torx screw to remove it…but I’ve also read I may need to untwist it, like this video (around 2:30).

Obviously I’m a little nervous…but just wanted to ask what type of Y you have…I read untwisting the mirror is a little more tricky than unscrewing it.
It might be both actually.

The screw he talks about is the very screw I used to release the mirror and base together same as the first video. Untwisting it just means you’re separating that metal base from the mirror too.

I don’t know if the wobble the person was experiencing was because of the T20 torx being loose or not, but I think if you twist/untwist the mirror too many times, the three prongs that are supposed to clamp on the triangular base probably gets “stretched” outward a bit… which could be another reason for the wobble.

So, I would suggest just using the screw.

Note about the second video, putting thread locker doesn’t fix the wobble. Tightening the screw is the goal. Thread locker is to prevent the screw from working itself loose, or rather, “just in case” it might work itself loose.

That bit of place they were “fighting” with was just the wire I mangled… because I forgot to remove it while the metal base was released (T20 torx). Looks like whoever worked on their mirror did exactly the same thing I did. Of course, you could just leave it alone like in the first video.

Oh, I forgot about the last plastic panel. At least that one is a little easier than the bigger one. Don’t use your fingernails, if they’re prone to chipping or flat out breaking like mine are. You can press on the tabs on one side with a tool (pry tool, flat tip screw driver, etc) and then tug on it with one hand to prevent it from snapping back, when you press on the other tabs.