Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Idea what is making this sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving the 2023 AWD Model 3 for 60,000 miles, lately when I pull right, while moving it was making a slight cranking noise. Because it started to happen while I was moving this caused some minor concern. I parked at a quiet spot and started turning the wheel.
1.) in stop mode, in drive (stopped) it made this cranking sound.
2.) In park no sound, (obviously not moving)
3.) in Reverse (stopped) made similar sound as forward stop
4.) when moving the car slightly it didn't seem to make any sounds that might need attention. Forward or Reverse.

Lately while driving especially when pulling right I am hearing minor cranking noises. Its never done that. It comes and goes. ONLY cause its moving and making the sound, I thought it best for a potential service center visit.

Here is a video of the cranking sounds as described. Thing is... After I cranked the wheel in this video, Turning the wheel right has muted to a negligible sound. But still there.

Stationary Sound, loud cranking unusual.

Driving sound, hard to hear might need to turn it up. Any idea's? Appreciate it

Is it something you can feel in the steering wheel? It sounds a LOT like what I was hearing and feeling in my car when I was a kid, which was caused by a failing ball joint that could have destroyed my car and me in the process. It failed in a parking lot just a couple minutes after I exited the interstate. Get it into a competent shop and have it inspected as soon as you can.

Strangest thing, today its barely making any sound. It still creaks a bit when steering right but for 2 days it made that sound. Now its going to be a ghost hunt. The service center most likely will say we are not sure you will need to make an app with a body shop or a mechanic. I think anyway.
Just odd. I sense a witch hunt coming.

Dropped off at service station today. Apparently this is no witch hunt they found some stuff. My Bill estimate just came in.. Funny I was going to buy the extended warranty but when I dropped off the car at the Service Center to get an alignment someone said we are not responsible for damages from accidents or something like that... So if anything did happen to the car between 50-75K how would I know if my extended warranty would actually cover the costs. Also at 50,000 miles the car was running brand spanking new... I was so suprised 10,000 miles later. Bah...

Something to do with struts, thats all I know thus far.