Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Interest in JdeMo Bulk Buy?

Would you go in on a JdeMo bulk buy?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re getting closer!

Tony from QC charge got back to me and asked me an additional question. He said:

Ok, one more question for your group... how much more would they pay to add CCS in addition to CHAdeMO?
  • North America - SAE-J1772-DC-CCS-Combo1
  • Europe, Australia, New Zealand - CCS-Combo2
The list price of the units when they were originally made was $3k. QC raised the price to $4k toward the end of the run. Given that, I would be willing to pay $5k to have both CHAdeMO & CCS capabilities. Would still need to fit behind the license plate though.

I’ve started a spreadsheet to gather contact information and pricing interest. If you were a YES or POSSIBLY, please fill in the form here. No obligation at this point, but need to get an idea of who is serious by collecting contact info.

Roadster JDEMO Adapter Contact & Interest List

Thanks, everyone!

Joe

IMG_2026.jpg

Reactions: drewski
Not worth it at that price. I also assume that this is in addition to installation which will be another $1-2?
If the group buy got it below $3k AND we got CCS, then it may be worth considering.

iirc, Tony was charging $7-800 for installation.

i did it in my garage on ramps over a weekend and one evening (i'm slow and didn't want to electrocute myself)

Couple quick updates.

First, I added a field to the form for your TMC handle. I had forgotten that. Anyone who wants to edit your input and add this is welcome to. Just go to the response you got from the form and you should be able to edit from there.

Second, wanted to post some data from the two questions asked. Clearly the dual charging solution wins out from looking at the graph, below. I plan to share with Tony.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 21.26.34.png

Question 2 dealt with value. This one is a bit harder ton find a pattern in. Looks like the sweet spot is between $4k and $5k. Hopefully we'll get a few more people interested. Good group so far with 14 responses. Hopefully that's enough to get the conversation a bit more serious with Tony on the details. Cheers!

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 21.26.51.png

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
As I mentioned, we set up a Google Group for bulk buy communication. We have two email addresses that people entered that are bouncing. If you didn't receive any group messages today in your in-box but signed up on the contact list, please DM me and give me your correct email and I will correct it so you get messages. Thanks!

Reactions: drewski
Just saw the poll stats: interested in the combined Chademo/CCS but would have to cost less than $3k.
The Roadster is really just a city car, so this is a nice to have and not a must have.

Also: why would we ever pay more than it cost before (when there was no BULK buy)?
Given the volume buy there should be a discount. And also: I assume it will be $1k-$2k to install (on top of the hardware) ...

• Love
Reactions: ra88it
Just saw the poll stats: interested in the combined Chademo/CCS but would have to cost less than $3k.
The Roadster is really just a city car, so this is a nice to have and not a must have.

Also: why would we ever pay more than it cost before (when there was no BULK buy)?
Given the volume buy there should be a discount. And also: I assume it will be $1k-$2k to install (on top of the hardware) ...

i was thinking adding CCS would make it more than the original version which was CHAdeMO only, but who knows how technology has progressed since this was first conceived.

I'm interested... just filled in the form. Thanks for organizing that!

One question: if the 3.0 battery upgrade ever becomes available again, would Tesla accept to install it on a car that has the fast charging hack?

It's my understanding that the JdeMO kit does not modify much. It uses the car's regen-braking system to add DC power back to the battery.. So there should be no reason that Tesla wouldn't work on the car. With that said, Tesla is Tesla. They sometimes try to find any way they can to screw with owners, so who knows. Ultimately if Tesla refused to cover the 3.0 battery under warranty, they would have to claim that something you did damaged the battery. You could always dispute that. Arbitration or court might be options and I think it would be pretty easy to demonstrate that the battery was the problem and not the JdeMo.

But that's just my opinion, of course.

For those of you who have been on the fence about purchasing a JdeMO, now is the time. Deadline for the $1,000 deposit to QCCharge is due 8 August. The deposit will be used by QC to order parts to manufacture this batch. If you want the details, please DM me.

QC plans to make it future compatible with CCS, but as delivered will only have the CHAdeMO connector. Once they've written the software to allow CCS, the CHAdeMO connector can be swapped out for CCS.

Reactions: GJVR
For those of you who have been on the fence about purchasing a JdeMO, now is the time. Deadline for the $1,000 deposit to QCCharge is due 8 August. The deposit will be used by QC to order parts to manufacture this batch. If you want the details, please DM me.

QC plans to make it future compatible with CCS, but as delivered will only have the CHAdeMO connector. Once they've written the software to allow CCS, the CHAdeMO connector can be swapped out for CCS.
Will there be any charging speed difference with the CCS vs CHAdeMO or will it simply be a matter of the connectors you can use. Also curious what is the cost of the JdeMO?

Will there be any charging speed difference with the CCS vs CHAdeMO or will it simply be a matter of the connectors you can use. Also curious what is the cost of the JdeMO?

As for charging speed, CCS has a maximum theoretical charging capability of 350 kilowatts. The CHAdeMO 2 allows for up to 400 kW. CHAdeMO 3, the standard just released, has a theoretical maximum of 500 kW. But none of that matters if companies are not installing charging stands with that much power running to them. Most of them are not. For example, between Seattle and Portland in Chehalis, WA, there is an EVGo station with both CHAdeMO and CCS. EVGo is delivering a maximum of 50 kW to that station. So it doesn't matter which connector you have. You're only going to get a Maximum of 50 kW. The last version of JdeMO charging from QC charge had a maximum charge capability of 50 kW.

In the U.S., I continue to see CHAdeMO and CCS connectors together, so I am personally not worries about having CHAdeMO. But knowing they are working on adding CCS should that change, gives me a bit of comfort. Cost for the single connector would be $4,000, the last price QC had for the kit. QC is requiring a $1,000 deposit for this batch.

As for charging speed, CCS has a maximum theoretical charging capability of 350 kilowatts. The CHAdeMO 2 allows for up to 400 kW. CHAdeMO 3, the standard just released, has a theoretical maximum of 500 kW. But none of that matters if companies are not installing charging stands with that much power running to them. Most of them are not. For example, between Seattle and Portland in Chehalis, WA, there is an EVGo station with both CHAdeMO and CCS. EVGo is delivering a maximum of 50 kW to that station. So it doesn't matter which connector you have. You're only going to get a Maximum of 50 kW. The last version of JdeMO charging from QC charge had a maximum charge capability of 50 kW.

In the U.S., I continue to see CHAdeMO and CCS connectors together, so I am personally not worries about having CHAdeMO. But knowing they are working on adding CCS should that change, gives me a bit of comfort. Cost for the single connector would be $4,000, the last price QC had for the kit. QC is requiring a $1,000 deposit for this batch.
I am sorry, I understand the differences between the standards and their availability, but I meant specifically for the roadster with JdeMO will there be any difference between the two plugs? Is 50kw still going to be the max for both plugs? I am assuming for battery health since the roadster wasn't designed for DC fast charging 50 kW is probably the max you would want to use?

Reactions: ra88it