Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any interest in the Munro EV review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Source: EV Conference - Revealing Secrets of Tesla Model 3, BMW i3 and Chevy Bolt Tickets, Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 8:30 AM | Eventbrite

Calling all automotive engineers looking for objective technical information about today’s leading electric vehicles (EVs). Munro & Associates, world leaders in the Lean Design® methodology, teardown benchmarking and design optimization, is hosting an Electric Vehicle Technical Briefing on Friday, June 21 at its world headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich. During the event, the Munro team will present an engineering comparison of four leading EVs: the Tesla Model 3; the BMW i3, the Chevy Bolt; and the Jaguar I-PACE.
. . .

I've got the interest and the funds but time could be a problem. Would there be anyone interested and available to attend this Auburn Hills event?

For me, it is 698 miles, 14 hours, 10 min, driving with 7 stops and overnight at a Marriott. I would have to bring wife and her dogs or arrange for a house sitter.

Bob Wilson

For me, it is 698 miles, 14 hours, 10 min, driving with 7 stops and overnight at a Marriott. I would have to bring wife and her dogs or arrange for a house sitter.

Bob Wilson

You may not have heard, but there's a pretty amazing new invention call an airplane now.

Bonus- Unlike when you drive your tesla it's actually safe to make microsleeps if you buy a ticket for one.

You may not have heard, but there's a pretty amazing new invention call an airplane now. . .
Two adult tickets and then her dogs. Some sort of rental car and hotel. Car parking fees and at least one, possibly two transfers. Then extra fees for check-in luggage. My cell phone and computers subject to inspection. My personal weapons can not be carried in carry-on baggage. Take my shoes off and subject to invasive strip searched for me and my wife ...

There comes a point where driving directly is cheaper and better than flying. What is your sheeplike acceptance of invasive flying and cost vs diruving? 100 mi? 200 mi? 500 mi?

Bob Wilson

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Two adult tickets and then her dogs. Some sort of rental car and hotel. Car parking fees .

But you said you had plenty of money!

Also all of those need to go with you for a one day conference?

Also you were already paying for a hotel in your driving plan.

Presumably paying for one each way too- so this is actually cheaper hotel-wise, 1 night needed total.

and at least one, possibly two transfers

Nope.

Delta flies direct Huntsville to Detroit.

Then extra fees for check-in luggage.

You need to check luggage for a one day conference?

My cell phone and computers subject to inspection

You bring computers, plural, to a one day conference? No wonder you need to check bags!

Anyway, the devices are subject to physical inspection- you are not required to unlock them or give them any access to your data at all though.

(that may NOT be true when stopped by CBP entering the country- but it's true of TSA, and since Detroit last I checked was still inside the US that's not an issue here)

. My personal weapons can not be carried in carry-on baggage

For fairly obviously reasons... but I guess NOW we know why you need to check bags...

(again I wonder at the plural there too... I mean I know it's detroit but how many guns do you REALLY need on a 1 day trip where you're only going to be at the airport, the hotel, and a technical conference?)

. Take my shoes off and subject to invasive strip searched for me and my wife ...

I'm starting to wonder just how many watch lists you are on...

Also- smart people have Precheck or Global Entry.

You're through security in 5 minutes, your shoes, belt, and coat stay on, and you usually don't even go through body scanners, just metal detectors.

There comes a point where driving directly is cheaper and better than flying.

I mean, to the store? Sure. 14 hours each way not so much. Especially when you admit you repeatedly fall asleep while driving.

I dunno though, my life and my time's actually worth something to me and I've better things to do than spend 28 hours in a car rather than 4 on airplanes, might not be the case for you.

• Funny
Reactions: MagnusMako and OCR1
The engineering rule of thumb: GOOD, FAST, CHEAP ... pick two:

Flying is not the CHEAP approach:
detroit_010.jpg

. . . my life and my time's actually worth something to me . . .
Thats OK since you're not going. Meanwhile, I've got it mapped out:
detroit_030.jpg

• Conference fee, $200
  • Leave Thursday 6-7 AM, arrive 8:30-9:30 PM (13h 32m)
  • 696 mi expected cost $40 each way based on previous trips (*), $80 total
  • SuperCharger stops, charging time, and arrival
    • Bowling Green, 30 min
    • Louisville, 30 min
    • Cincinnati, 30 min
    • Lima, 30 min
    • Toledo, 30 min
    • arrive Auburn Hills
  • car rental and parking, $0
  • hotel room $75
  • AutoPilot is my co-pilot
  • return Friday evening
    • Tesla napping at the chargers
    • arrive home Saturday morning
This approach is CHEAP compared to the least expensive airfare. It is also GOOD because I get to take what I want, flexible schedule, and eat where I want. Best of all, I avoid the purgatory of TSA, airports, and airliners.

Bob Wilson

* - Trips to Dallas and Coffeyville came in at $30-40 each way. Likely to see only $80 total charging fees.

Last edited:
Looked over the agenda and I’d guess that Tesla will sell more cars after people attend that event and/or others will try to copy what Tesla has done. Seen enough of the Munro Tesla teardowns and reviews after the first fit and finish early segment they did for Autoline to know that Munro and Associates is very impressed with the car. I hope that someone attends and can report back. Curious what the attendee comments will be.

The engineering rule of thumb: GOOD, FAST, CHEAP ... pick two:

Good and fast please. That's taking an airplane.

In fact- in your original post you said:

bwilson4web said:
I've got the interest and the funds but time could be a problem.

The solution to the problem you stated you had is an airplane.

If in actual fact you have LOTS of time on which you place little value (which you must to waste almost 30 hours of it driving to a 1-day event) but your actual PROBLEM is lack of funds, then yes, driving will be cheaper.... (unless you value your life- given you've said you frequently fall asleep while driving- in which case a 27 hour drive is potentially infinitely more expensive too)

• Leave Thursday 6-7 AM, arrive 8:30-9:30 PM (13h 32m)
  • 696 mi expected cost $40 each way based on previous trips (*), $80 total
  • SuperCharger stops, charging time, and arrival
    • Bowling Green, 30 min
    • Louisville, 30 min
    • Cincinnati, 30 min
    • Lima, 30 min
    • Toledo, 30 min
    • arrive Auburn Hills
  • car rental and parking, $0
  • hotel room $75
  • AutoPilot is my co-pilot
  • return Friday evening
    • Tesla napping at the chargers
    • arrive home Saturday morning
So in about 48 hours you plan to get a total of...maybe 8 hours of actual sleep...and then maybe a few short naps during 30 minute supercharger sessions- while also driving over 27 hours and attending a technical conference in that period.

I THINK WE HAVE CRACKED THE CASE AS TO WHY YOU ARE CONSTANTLY FALLING ASLEEP WHILE DRIVING!

BTW- where do the dogs and wife go while you're at the conference? If the answer is "stay at hotel" then obviously you'll need one that take multiple pets, plus offers late enough checkout to accommodate the conference running into the late afternoon....and if it was ok for them to be on their own for a day anyway then I'd again say flying just by yourself would be better in virtually every way.

(also you left out cost of the extra meals during the 20+ extra hours of travel involved in driving...for apparently 2 people...and time to stop and walk the dogs if they need it between SC stops- heck with flying and a decent credit card you wouldn't even need to pay for one of your far fewer meals by hitting up the airport lounge in Detroit for free... Huntsville sadly doesn't appear to have any airport lounges)

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Source: EV Conference - Revealing Secrets of Tesla Model 3, BMW i3 and Chevy Bolt

Calling all automotive engineers looking for objective technical information about today’s leading electric vehicles (EVs). Munro & Associates, world leaders in the Lean Design® methodology, teardown benchmarking and design optimization, is hosting an Electric Vehicle Technical Briefing on Friday, June 21 at its world headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich. During the event, the Munro team will present an engineering comparison of four leading EVs: the Tesla Model 3; the BMW i3, the Chevy Bolt; and the Jaguar I-PACE.
The tour of the Munro Benchmarking Investigation, Innovation & Implementation Center will provide an Engineering deep dive of the most advanced electric vehicles and technologies in the market today. Munro will also provide an in-depth view into how you can analyze products and perform your own reengineering.

The main focus will be on the EV “Big 3” Motors, Batteries and Electronics; however, there will be a new technology review with insight into the engineering and designs of some of the other innovative vehicles on the road today. The Tesla 3 will be compared to the BMW i3 and the Chevy Bolt.

Unlike many “Power Point Conferences” the parts of all three of the vehicles will be laid out on tables and Munro “A Frames” with knowledgeable Munro Engineers to provide a detailed description of the key take-ways from each part of the car and answer questions.

For the Jaguar I-PACE, there will be a hoist review to discuss the I-PACE and its electric motor.

EXTRA! Munro has also invited an independent investigator from Tesloop who will share important aspects of EVs that are rarely discussed; life expectancy and maintenance of an EV. Tesloop has ALL the documentation on the durability of the Tesla product.

This is a must attend event for all EV Engineers!
$199 which includes:

• An overview of: motors, batteries, and electronics the “EV Big 3”
  • A technology review with insight into the engineering and designs of some of the other innovative vehicles on the road today
  • A tour of Munro’s Benchmarking Investigation, Innovation & Implementation Center
  • The opportunity to participate in an engineering deep dive of today’s most advanced EVs and technologies
  • An in-depth view into how Munro analyzes products and performs reverse engineering.
Timing, Location & Agenda:
Friday, June 21st, 2019
Munro & Associates
1140 Centre Road Auburn Hills, MI 48326
8:30 to 9:00. Registration, Coffee & Donuts
9:00 to 9:15 Welcome and logistics
9:15 to 9:45 Who is Munro? How do we get our Numbers?
9:45 to 10:15 Battery Debrief
10:15 to 10:45 Electronics Debrief
10:45 to 11:15 Electric Motor Debrief
11:15 to 12:00 Long Range Tesla Data; Full data on Tesla vehicles some with 380,000 MILES! BTW No Maintenance Issues!!!
12:00 to 13:00 Lunch
13:00 to 15:30 Group Breakout, On-The-Floor, Around The Parts Review;
I- PACE Hoist Review, Side-By-Side Discussions At 5 Teardown Stations To Discuss All The Vehicle Components
15:30 to 16:30 Social Hour, Tours of Other Vehicles at Munro and Networking

If you have specific interest or questions, post them here and I'll take them with me to the conference.

Bob Wilson

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
Hi,

It was the engineering "E ride" ticket. I just arrived 30 minutes ago:
  • 693.3 mi
  • 156 kWh
  • 225 Wh/mi
  • 15:30 (hh:mm)
So doing the math:
  • 44.7 mph - I did take a nap midway in 'Chez Tesla'
  • One excessive long charge had an effect
Details to follow.

About the conference, I have the handout and Jalopnik sent a reporter. I'll probably reference their article and add my details. But I really need to take a nap.

Bob Wilson