Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any M3 owners with a family regret it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Family of five with 15, 10 and 4 year old. The 3 replaces my S and it works well despite my wife’s trepidation. The key is your lifestyle. I rarely have more than two kids in the car at one time. The 3 is a commuter and then take [insert] kid to and from practice, class, etc. We have a minivan for hauling multiple kids.

My oldest prefers the S but I’m the one with the smile on my face every time I drive the 3.

I will (almost) never have more than 2 kids in the backseat, so just need to optimize for the family of 4. Based on all of the responses so far, it looks like M3P is the way to go for my driving enjoyment, comfort and saving some decent $$$. I appreciate all of the insights, I had surgery this past week and I am sequestered for the weekend, so doing as much research as I can with my free time before setting up the overnight test drive. :p

Reactions: Lifeinabox
I will (almost) never have more than 2 kids in the backseat, so just need to optimize for the family of 4. Based on all of the responses so far, it looks like M3P is the way to go for my driving enjoyment, comfort and saving some decent $$$. I appreciate all of the insights, I had surgery this past week and I am sequestered for the weekend, so doing as much research as I can with my free time before setting up the overnight test drive. :p
If you are around 5' 10" (which according to stats is 1/2" over average male height in the US) you will never have a problem, I know people here post that they are 6' 4" and people 6' 4" sit behind them with plenty of room etc..., I don't buy it because I have the car and know better, have you been to a showroom with the family and sat in the car with seats adjusted to your liking? that would be the best thing to do to really, truly see for yourself if this car has the room you need.
That said, if you test drive one then it really won't even matter as you will end up buying it anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78 and IdaX
Basically (IMO) Model 3 versus Model S:

+ Lower Price for simiar performance and range.
+ Smaller foot print, if parking on street is an issue, but a little bit less roomy.

- I just wish the Model 3 had a hatch like the Model S, for more trunk practicality.
(mostly for occasional transport of furniture or bicycle, but a roof rack can help)
- Model S is more on the luxury side, more display, suspension...

Conclusion, this was my criteria order, so make your own list and criteria order : )

If still undecided and don't need a car right now, may be wait for Model Y (announcement next month, delivery next year...)

Note: If this is your first EV, start looking on how to install a plug (if you can charge at home).

Last edited:
If you are around 5' 10" (which according to stats is 1/2" over average male height in the US) you will never have a problem, I know people here post that they are 6' 4" and people 6' 4" sit behind them with plenty of room etc..., I don't buy it because I have the car and know better, have you been to a showroom with the family and sat in the car with seats adjusted to your liking? that would be the best thing to do to really, truly see for yourself if this car has the room you need.
That said, if you test drive one then it really won't even matter as you will end up buying it anyway.

I’m 6’2” and the seat is almost to the back stop... my 5’6” 18y/o constantly complains that my seat is too far back... so I’d recommend you try one out. I also have an SUV... so anything over a jaunt around town I’m leaving the Tesla at home if 4 people in the car.

Reactions: Dre78
We have both model s and model 3 for a family of five. The 3 is almost as roomy as the S with two kids in the back seat. The only issue is with three kids in the back. Due to the side bolstered seats, its narrow for the middle seat. Especially with a booster seat. In both cars though, the booster seats end up blocking the seat belt buckle. We had to find a booster with a narrow base.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dre78 and IdaX
We have the M3 and a new model CRV. The CRV has limo like back seat room, the model 3 is just ok in that department. I have a 2 year old and the baby seat fits fine in the M3 but getting the kid in without her head hitting that middle ceiling light bar is tricky. I would say it works if needed but if you have a baby seat an SUV works better,

0E28D6F3-51D7-4654-A8B2-C04B5EA3000D.jpeg
For a family of four normal sized humans, the Model 3 is fantastic, even for long road trips. We're asst the ski hill now, it's a 10 hour drive (+ Supercharging) and the drive here was great. We head home tomorrow. The rear seat would be too narrow for 5 for anything more than an hour or so.

For our trip, we've got skis and the bags of boots, helmets, etc. in our roof box, mounted by SeaSucker Monkey Bars. A large duffel with the rest of our outdoor clothes, sweaters, etc. fills the frunk. Food and 4 soft-sided carry-on bags fill the trunk. The kids have a backpack with electronics, books, homework etc. And my camera bag on the rear floor between them. This is our third ski trip like this and no one had any complaints.

View attachment 378314 For a family of four normal sized humans, the Model 3 is fantastic, even for long road trips. We're asst the ski hill now, it's a 10 hour drive (+ Supercharging) and the drive here was great. We head home tomorrow. The rear seat would be too narrow for 5 for anything more than an hour or so.

For our trip, we've got skis and the bags of boots, helmets, etc. in our roof box, mounted by SeaSucker Monkey Bars. A large duffel with the rest of our outdoor clothes, sweaters, etc. fills the frunk. Food and 4 soft-sided carry-on bags fill the trunk. The kids have a backpack with electronics, books, homework etc. And my camera bag on the rear floor between them. This is our third ski trip like this and no one had any complaints.

@bpjod perfect example of what I am looking for, thank you! We do snowboarding trips (3 hours each way) at least 10 times a year and knowing that my family should be comfortable and the cargo roof box will give us the cargo space we need is exactly what I was looking to confirm. I am still going to ask Tesla for an overnight test drive before pulling the trigger, but based on all of the great responses in this thread I am feeling pretty confident that the M3P is the best choice for my driving enjoyment as well as for our family comfort on medium length road trips.

Reactions: Dre78
Had an S and bought a 3, I miss the space so much I am selling my 3..........

You are doing it wrong. Keep the 3 and add an X.

I'd wait in the Y if you have a family. All I have is a dog and I regret getting the M3 then finding out about the Model Y just weeks after. That being said I'll never buy another Tesla. Lots of other EVs coming to market

Funny. Your statements make no sense if you realize the Model Y is a Tesla right? The Model Y is not weeks away either.

All Tesla’s are EVs but not every EV is a Tesla.

I hope they better Tesla in every way (serious doubt) as we need more competition to drive prices down, spur higher quality and create the mass adoption of BEV's

Me not having range anxiety after 120 miles one way would be a fantastic goal for the up and comers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chancellor32
Funny. Your statements make no sense if you realize the Model Y is a Tesla right?

Had I known the MY was coming I would have waited. I will not be buying another Tesla in the future after my dissapointment in the brand. My Model 3 is the 3rd car in my driveway. I didn't need it so weeks away isn't an issue. It'scurrently for sale with 1,067 miles on it

• Disagree
Reactions: -motts- and Jovian
Had I known the MY was coming I would have waited. I will not be buying another Tesla in the future after my dissapointment in the brand. My Model 3 is the 3rd car in my driveway. I didn't need it so weeks away isn't an issue. It'scurrently for sale with 1,067 miles on it

If you were in California and weren't asking for MORE than what a new Model 3 costs (which seems everyone is expecting?) I'd be inquiring.

Can't imagine what you have going on that would make it your 3rd car and not your first one. I really can't - and not just being a fan boy as I could have bought ANYTHING (within reason) for my loaded 3P+.

Well, I like the Model 3 if space is not an issue. It looks unique and it looks like something that came out of the Pixar Cars movie.

And I like the minimal front view, it truly feels like a drivers car to be able to see much more in front of you rather than a giant dash in front.