Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model 3 Nürburgring Nordschleife numbers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's worth noting that a regular U.S. spec BMW M3 is extremely unlikely to break 8 minutes on the Nurburgring. Also, a U.S. spec BMW M3 is limited to 155 MPH top speed; I should have mentioned that in my prior post. The 163 MPH top speed is only available with an optional driver's package in Europe.

BMW M3 specs are global, there is no such thing as "US spec".
Baseline M3 is speed governed to 161 mph.
M3 CS (readily available in the US) is electronically limited 174 mph.

M3 CS clocked 7 minutes, 38 seconds at Nordschleife, which frankly, is not THAT impressive anymore (slower than AMG C63s, GTR, 911, etc).

Data here:
BMW Quietly Reveals M3 CS Nürburgring Lap Time In Promo Video
List of Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times - Wikipedia

It depends on the testing media’s intention. If they want to make a better lap time, they can replace the wheels and suspension. Nextmove mentioned if going Nürburgring they would use KW suspension. 265/35/19 tires with race tires will also improve the lap time.

You don't swap wheels & suspension if you want to record factory-spec lap times.
Some companies release "Nurburgring" (Nissan) or GTS (Daimler, BMW) packages for their sport cars with track-optimized suspension and tires, but you could buy them for yourself, if you like. I wouldn't recommend those for daily commuter duties (roll cage and super stiff suspension take a toll on drier comfort). But the bottom line is - times that are factory claimed are from cars a customer can order from a dealership.

M4 GTS did 7:27.88 on stock R-tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2), and M3 CS is sold with PSC2's as well.

a

BMW M3 specs are global, there is no such thing as "US spec".
Baseline M3 is speed governed to 161 mph.
M3 CS (readily available in the US) is electronically limited 174 mph.

M3 CS clocked 7 minutes, 38 seconds at Nordschleife, which frankly, is not THAT impressive anymore (slower than AMG C63s, GTR, 911, etc).

Data here:
BMW Quietly Reveals M3 CS Nürburgring Lap Time In Promo Video
List of Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times - Wikipedia
By US spec, I meant what we can actually get here. We have different options and packages available from Europe. There is no driver's package here for instance.

As for the baseline M3 speed being governed at 161, I suggest you contact BMW USA, and let them know that they're wrong - BMW M3 - BMW USA

And finally, the M3 CS is a limited edition model, which I specifically excluded in my prior posts. For $100k, it really ought to be quite a bit faster than a regular M3 or a Model 3 performance model.

I will stick with my statement that a base M3 is extremely unlikely to break 8 minutes at the Nurburgring. The CS is a bunch faster with serious tweaks to the engine, transmission, differential, stability control system, wheels, carbon ceramic brakes, and Sport Cup 2 tires. The Sport Cup 2 tires alone are probably good for 15 to 20 seconds of the speed improvement on the Ring.

Personally, I think just about anyone that can hustle any car around the Ring in less than 8 minutes is pretty impressive to me. The fact that so many production cars are beating that time today is just indicative of how fast many new cars have gotten, and how much effort the manufacturers are putting into setting times at the Ring.

I'd venture to say it would be better than that. Traffic kills lap times, and there was quite a bit of it during that first four minutes. We also don't know the skill level of this driver.
I watched it. The driver was pretty skilled. There was way to much traffic though to count that time. There was also a passenger in the car, so 150 pounds heavier.

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
By US spec, I meant what we can actually get here. We have different options and packages available from Europe. There is no driver's package here for instance.

That's just a packaging / marketing decision by BMW NA.
Same car, engine, suspension, just different option packages grouped together for different markets.
European markets usually a-la-carte options one at a time. BMW NA likes to group them together in a few bundles, as they don't trust us to have the attention span to digest them otherwise.

As for the baseline M3 speed being governed at 161, I suggest you contact BMW USA, and let them know that they're wrong - BMW M3 - BMW USA

No need.
I know what my car can do.

And finally, the M3 CS is a limited edition model, which I specifically excluded in my prior posts. For $100k, it really ought to be quite a bit faster than a regular M3 or a Model 3 performance model.

M3 CS is about as limited as beer in Germany.
There is one sitting on the floor of every dealership in NJ. They can't push them out the door discounted by > $20K from MSRP. Still sitting pretty.
Excluding CS from the comparison is about as valid as ignoring TM3 Performance, just because it's too fast and more expensive ;-)

I will stick with my statement that a base M3 is extremely unlikely to break 8 minutes at the Nurburgring.

You are a strange fella'.
You know what you are saying is dead wrong, yet insist on repeating the fallacy.
Whatever you don't don't read the link below:
2015 BMW M3/M4 running the Nurburgring in 7:50 minutes

Video:
After about 4 minutes, brake overheating. Lap time is about 9 minutes.

If there is a better brake maybe 8:20.

It's not uncommon for stock brake pads to be designed to operate in the temperature window closer to ambient temps, than 500+F they will be heated to during track duty. Thus many folks who track their cars upgrade to track-pads (direct replacement). That would help TM3P a lot.

What is harder to correct is the fact that Tesla did not build any brake cooling ducts into Model 3's.
Again, this can be remedied with some surgery of the plastic parts (there are aftermarket brake duct DIY kits for many cars), but all BMW M-cars come with brake duct cooling from the factory. For this very good reason!

I watched it. The driver was pretty skilled. There was way to much traffic though to count that time. There was also a passenger in the car, so 150 pounds heavier.

The driver definitely has some experience at Nurburgring, not just on track. He always took the correct line through blind corners, and was never slowed by the traffic. He did not track out much, but that was mostly because he was fighting understeer a lot, and likely didn't have full confidence in the car.

BTW, the traffic in the video was VERY light for Nurburgring, and well behaved, and the cars he passed did not slow him down much, if at all, with the exception of white SUV at 5:43 time stamp.

The understeer he was fighting through most of the high speed turn did slow him down, and so did the brake temp overheating message. He visibly backed off from 6:00 minute time stamp and onwards.
He never went full throttle at the straights afterwords, and braked way early.

You can compare TM3P's speeds with BMW speeds at the same corners in the video below.
For example, 5:33 BMW GTS lap time stamp below corresponds to the 9:52 time stamp in TM3P video above.
M3 hits 200 kph by the end of the following downhill section, TM3P driver backs off at 143 kph.

I'm sure TM3P could have gone faster and posted quicker time, but either driver had not confidence in the brakes anymore, or the car was limiting power output by that point.

a

That's just a packaging / marketing decision by BMW NA.
Same car, engine, suspension, just different option packages grouped together for different markets.
European markets usually a-la-carte options one at a time. BMW NA likes to group them together in a few bundles, as they don't trust us to have the attention span to digest them otherwise.

No need.
I know what my car can do.

M3 CS is about as limited as beer in Germany.
There is one sitting on the floor of every dealership in NJ. They can't push them out the door discounted by > $20K from MSRP. Still sitting pretty.
Excluding CS from the comparison is about as valid as ignoring TM3 Performance, just because it's too fast and more expensive ;-)
I disagree about excluding the CS. In relative terms, and looking at the prices that they're listed at, it's appropriate to compare 330i to Model 3 LR RWD, 340ix to Model 3 LR AWD, and base M3 to Model 3 Performance. To match the BMW M3 CS, Tesla would have to come out with a special model designed to excel at the race track the same as the CS. BMW having difficulty selling such a specialized model is a good indicator of why it would be foolish of Tesla to create an equivalent Model 3. As to whether or not the CS is limited, I recommend that you talk to BMW again; you'll have to excuse me for taking their officially published statements as more authoritative than yours.

You are a strange fella'.
You know what you are saying is dead wrong, yet insist on repeating the fallacy.
Whatever you don't don't read the link below:
2015 BMW M3/M4 running the Nurburgring in 7:50 minutes
First you're listing a blog as your source. Do you really expect me to take that as an authoritative voice? When you research it, it references a report by Auto Motor und Sport. The only relevant reports I can find on Auto Motor und Sport, are of a 2015 M4 doing a 7:52 on the Ring, but I have not been able to find any of the details on the car. Did it have stock tires and brakes, who was driving it, did it have the driver's package, etc. There also doesn't appear to be any video of it. Also, it was undoubtedly a German spec car, and there are differences between German and U.S. spec cars, such as the availability of the driver's package which increases the top speed limiter. Again, I find it very questionable that a stock U.S. M4 would be capable of that time.

P.S. One note, the blog is showing a picture of an M4 set up for use as a DTM safety car. Is that possibly the car being referred to with the 7:50 or 7:52 time. If so, DTM safety cars are far from stock.

Last edited:
I disagree about excluding the CS. In relative terms, and looking at the prices that they're listed at, it's appropriate to compare 330i to Model 3 LR RWD, 340ix to Model 3 LR AWD, and base M3 to Model 3 Performance. To match the BMW M3 CS, Tesla would have to come out with a special model designed to excel at the race track the same as the CS. BMW having difficulty selling such a specialized model is a good indicator of why it would be foolish of Tesla to create an equivalent Model 3. As to whether or not the CS is limited, I recommend that you talk to BMW again; you'll have to excuse me for taking their officially published statements as more authoritative than yours.

First you're listing a blog as your source. Do you really expect me to take that as an authoritative voice? When you research it, it references a report by Auto Motor und Sport. The only relevant reports I can find on Auto Motor und Sport, are of a 2015 M4 doing a 7:52 on the Ring, but I have not been able to find any of the details on the car. Did it have stock tires and brakes, who was driving it, did it have the driver's package, etc. There also doesn't appear to be any video of it. Also, it was undoubtedly a German spec car, and there are differences between German and U.S. spec cars, such as the availability of the driver's package which increases the top speed limiter. Again, I find it very questionable that a stock U.S. M4 would be capable of that time.

P.S. One note, the blog is showing a picture of an M4 set up for use as a DTM safety car. Is that possibly the car being referred to with the 7:50 or 7:52 time. If so, DTM safety cars are far from stock.
The car sure appears to be a stock M4. They say it's on Pilot Super Sport tires: BMW M4 Coupé im Supertest: Neuer Motor, neue Heldentaten?
I don't read German though.
The Nurburgring is silly anyway. I'll stick to driving around cones in a parking lot. Driving at 180mph just seems like a bad idea.

The car sure appears to be a stock M4. They say it's on Pilot Super Sport tires: BMW M4 Coupé im Supertest: Neuer Motor, neue Heldentaten?
I don't read German though.
The Nurburgring is silly anyway. I'll stick to driving around cones in a parking lot. Driving at 180mph just seems like a bad idea.
Google translate to the rescue. :)

The article rather makes my point. The car that turned the 7:52 had the driver's package which isn't available on U.S. cars, and ceramic brakes which are an $8,150 option which requires 19" or larger wheels and tires. It doesn't say, but I'm sure that they had the DCT transmission in it as well, since that is the only way it had a chance at that time. If you spec out an M4 like this with no other options at all, it comes out to $81,400 including the required 19" wheels; kind of makes a Model 3 performance look cheap. Also, you can't even get carbon ceramic brakes on an M3, only on the M4.

So, knock off the driver's package and the ceramic brakes, and I think it's exceedingly unlikely that a base U.S. spec BMW M3 will break 8 minutes on the Nurburgring. I don't think it would break 8 minutes even with the Competition Package (which again wouldn't be a base model), but I think there's at least a chance with that. I do think the CS model would break 8 minutes pretty handily; it has a bunch of mods that really make a difference on the track, starting with bigger Sport Cup 2 tires.
Auto motor sport said:
Nürburgring Nordschleife7.52 min

When will the next Trackday take place at the Ring? The question inevitably arises already at the end of the early Hatzenbach Passage: the agility, the reliability, the performance, the ergonomics - all add up to a festivity that reminds of former M3 legends. In order to accomplish the lap time, Vmax clearance is required up to 280 km / h. It is part of the optional Driver Package. In addition to the thrilling handiness, it is also the convincing straight-ahead safety at top speeds, which positively influences the feel-good factor. The extra charge ceramic brake shows no weakness.

BMW M4 Coupé im Supertest: Neuer Motor, neue Heldentaten?

Last edited:
It depends on the testing media’s intention. If they want to make a better lap time, they can replace the wheels and suspension. Nextmove mentioned if going Nürburgring they would use KW suspension. 265/35/19 tires with race tires will also improve the lap time.
Pity the only video available so far is the Model 3 without track mode - with the stability control full on they certainly overheated the brakes early in the lap. For any fair comparison, the cars would have to be stock from the manufacturer. And if US spec M3 BMW is knobbled in performance compared to Euro spec M3s that is a more valid comparison too for those who live in the US. I am intrigued that tesla say they can increase Model 3P top end performance even further with a power curve adjustment via an OTA update, so Tesla may have the advantage in that respect as its easier for "their factory" to upgrade the car. There are some good arguments above as to why the Tesla 3P would probably be slower than the BMW M3 around the ring, but I would not rule the possibility of it matching or beating a BMW M3 over 1 lap on the longer track until we see the times and know what is possible with OTA updates. If the Model 3 P is limited by tire width/traction, then I could see it being a problem, but on the other hand it probably has a lower CG compared to the BMW which would help with corner speed, top speed can be adjusted somewhat via OTA if they can increase top end performance of the motor, so time will tell.