Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one drive from NY to AZ using their Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My little brother passed away a week ago. My wife and I will be attending his funeral next week and were thinking of driving the Tesla from NY to AZ. Really just give me some time to come to the reality that he is gone. Has anyone done this? I have done it in a regular car in 2 days (With Timezones...lol). Did a mapping in the Tesla and it said it would take 48 hours total. With gas it would take 31 hours...

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Tim

My little brother passed away a week ago. My wife and I will be attending his funeral next week and were thinking of driving the Tesla from NY to AZ. Really just give me some time to come to the reality that he is gone. Has anyone done this? I have done it in a regular car in 2 days (With Timezones...lol). Did a mapping in the Tesla and it said it would take 48 hours total. With gas it would take 31 hours...

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Tim

Very sorry to hear that.

Your trip will cross through my neck of the woods and I just did a trip to NY recently. Be prepared to take probably 4-5 days or so if you're going with your wife. Depending on which battery you have, you'll likely have to stop at almost every supercharger on the way. Definitely doable with the supercharger network, just depends on what your temperaments are like. And make sure to add a one-day buffer just in case.

Very sorry to hear that.

Your trip will cross through my neck of the woods and I just did a trip to NY recently. Be prepared to take probably 4-5 days or so if you're going with your wife. Depending on which battery you have, you'll likely have to stop at almost every supercharger on the way. Definitely doable with the supercharger network, just depends on what your temperaments are like. And make sure to add a one-day buffer just in case.

Where you talking 4-5 days one way? I was looking at 3 days...lol We don't mind putting in 15 to 18 hour drive days....

3 Days is very doable I just recently drove from Toronto Ontario to the Grand Canyon and it took me about two and a half days. I was putting in about the same length days you mentioned anywhere from 15 to 18 hours.

Thanks Lucas. I am getting everything together now for the big trip...going to post everything on youtube. I already have a channel if anyone is interested.....Love my car...

Here is my youtube channel....Enjoy
Timothy Bell

Just did the drive from Chicago to Denver, CO. So about half of your trip, maybe a little more. I think your 17 hour additional time over ICE is a bit high. My trip only added about 3.5 hours additional. The trick is to only use the power you need to get to the next charger, the super chargers will give you about 80 miles in the first ten minutes, then 60 the next, then 40 the next, then 30, 20, etc... Assuming your battery starts at about 10%. If your battery is already 50% when you start all those values are cut in half.

Terribly sorry for your loss,

Reactions: Timothy Bell
Just did the drive from Chicago to Denver, CO. So about half of your trip, maybe a little more. I think your 17 hour additional time over ICE is a bit high. My trip only added about 3.5 hours additional. The trick is to only use the power you need to get to the next charger, the super chargers will give you about 80 miles in the first ten minutes, then 60 the next, then 40 the next, then 30, 20, etc... Assuming your battery starts at about 10%. If your battery is already 50% when you start all those values are cut in half.

Terribly sorry for your loss,

Thanks much Phoenixhawk101!!