TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Any other U-boat commanders? (Coastal NC)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by David_Cary, Oct 5, 2015.

1. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Cary, NC
    So I pushed it. 2.5 hour drive to the beach house and 2 miles from the house, the only road was pretty deep water. I have coils. Lots of other vehicles passing but all were trucks/SUVs.

So I parked to assess....

Then a 70yo in a newer civic blazes through without concern. I walked it first and it never seemed to exceed 6 inches.

So I made it but was I nervous. A flatbed would have been hours away I bet.

But I wanted to ask the collective, what is the deepest water I can safely drive through? The rain has stopped so it should only get better but I need to cross this area if I plan on eating tomorrow morning.

On the Leaf forum, someone just blasted through an impressive wall of water. Everyone there thought the connectors/inverters/chargers were all pretty high up.

For all that might warn - this was not a river. There was no chance of drowning.
  2. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Aug 24, 2013
    I drove through about 1 ft of water and had no problems. Would not do it on purpose though. People have had their Model S totalled in the garage when water got up to 18", but that was standing in it for hours.

I wouldn't hesitate if you are sure it doesn't get deeper than 6 inches, and you'll be through it in a minute or two. Would not risk getting stuck in it.
  3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Nov 3, 2009
    Smithfield, VA
    I wouldn't go through anything deeper than about 4 inches. Not because I think the car can't, but because I'm just not willing to take that risk of damage to the car.
  4. EternalChampion

Oct 5, 2014
    Just put it into Bond mode. Submerse away!!!