Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any program to transfer Unlimited Super Charging to a NEW MS? [Answer: No]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly Akula our Blue 2016 TMS 90D was in an accident that caused enough damage that our insurance is going to call it a complete loss. Luckily no one was injured in the accident so my one true regret is we will lose our USC. We have taken over 3 trips over 1,500 miles in the 2 years we owned our TMS, one was 7800 miles. FREE is great and was a great way to push the wife over to the Tesla side. Has anyone had any success transferring their USC to a new TMS or TMX? I know Good F'ing luck, but you can't be told yes if you don't ask..

Before you ask.....first is from crash site with a piece of the other car hanging from the rear end... hit so hard bent rear sideways enough to close the door gap on the back passenger door..
IMG_8801.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 6.51.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 6.51.08 PM.png

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 34
Sorry to see your car damaged like that. Hope everyone walked away unhurt.

I would be very surprised if Tesla agreed to transfer the free unlimited SuperCharging to another vehicle. There's no benefit to them.

This is an interesting time to be in the market for another Model S. Production has stopped, new inventory is probably thin.

With no inside information, I would order a new one now. Easy to imagine Tesla raising LR S prices if production resumes with a refresh version.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
Before you ask.....first is from crash site with a piece of the other car hanging from the rear end... hit so hard bent rear sideways enough to close the door gap on the back passenger door.. View attachment 624769View attachment 624771View attachment 624772
The very thing that makes these cars so safe is what makes them so easily written off after a seemingly minor wreck. Aluminum bends very easily and the crumple zones do their job quite well.

Just a single quarter panel replacement will run over $10K even without having to repair the structure underneath, and if your RR door is jammed shut (or even just touching) the structure has been "tweaked" enough to require straightening or other repair.

The benefit is a safer car. The drawback is insuring a Tesla costs more than most other cars.

Reactions: NickFie
It's highly unlikely that Tesla would transfer FUSC to a new purchase however, there are new inventory cars with discounts equal to or greater than the value of FUSC.

For example, below is a 2020 MS Performance in blue (similar to your current car) which is priced around $10k below sticker. $10k can buy a lot of supercharging. The car would also qualify for any potential new car EV incentives available in your state.
2020 Model S | Tesla

Hopefully you get a good settlement from insurance but on the bright side the current S’s are much better cars than the 2016’s. We sold one and traded 2 of our refresh 2016 S’s that had FSC and replaced them with new Raven S’s. The new S’s ride far far better, have significantly more power, more comfortable and durable seating, better entertainment while Supercharging, have one pedal driving plus much better range and efficiency. The new S’s may not look much different but are much better cars to move up to. Anything free seems nice but there are more positives about the new S’s than the one small negative.

Last edited:
Yes, Free SC'ing is more of a psychological benefit, even with all your trips.

I'd consider getting Tesla Energy solar panels ASAP--then all of your electricity becomes nearly free, including the power used to charge your Teslas . . . our bill for all of 2020, with two MS's, was under $30.

Side benefit: helps leave a usable planet for future generations.

Reactions: benh57
I'd consider getting Tesla Energy solar panels ASAP--then all of your electricity becomes nearly free, including the power used to charge your Teslas . . . our bill for all of 2020, with two MS's, was under $30.
It wouldn't exactly be "nearly free" until one at least breaks even from the cost of the solar panels. I imagine for the average house it would probably take about eight years to do so even with typical federal, state and/or local solar incentives.

Why not try to find a 2015 or 2016 (or very early 2017) used Model S with free supercharging from a private sale?

As you might know Tesla strips free supercharging from their used car sales so that's not an option.

Good luck!
@OTARon this is good advice. You should be able to get such a vehicle for a decent deal. For example, since covid, I haven’t been able to drive my titanium 2015 S70D (235 mi range) much at all, maybe 5000 mi in 2020, less than 60,000 mi total. This is my vacation road trip car (2011 Leaf in town), so very little wear. I might be persuaded in selling if you’re interested. I was planning to upgrade to the 500 mi plaid eventually, but with covid my car is just sitting unused and lonely.:( PM If you’d like to discuss.

It wouldn't exactly be "nearly free" until one at least breaks even from the cost of the solar panels. I imagine for the average house it would probably take about eight years to do so even with typical federal, state and/or local solar incentives.

And you would be remarkably wrong, but don't feel bad--a remarkably large number of people don't understand the solar panel value proposition, nor understand the risks posed by a century+ of uncheched GHG dumping either.

Scary indictment of our educational systems as it's third-grade math, at best.

In our case, breakeven was ~16 months.

Our system was an absolute steal: $8k for a ONE-PAYMENT, 20-year lease.

The house was using about $2k/year in electricity.

Each car in the garage (two) was using about $2k in gasoline per year (and far more cost in oil changes, maintenance, etc.), so that's another $4k. (Those ICE cars were replaced with two Teslas, which are charged with sunlight.)

That math adds up to $6k/year in previous, now avoided, costs.

The PV system cost $8k.

So, in just over a year the PV system paid for itself, and EVERY YEAR THEREAFTER is allows us to pocket $6k, with the side benefit of helping leave a usable planet for other generations.

For argument's sake, let's assume we had to pay TWICE as much for the solar panels, say, $16k.

Now the breakeven is, OMG: TWO AND HALF YEARS!

Then, after 30 months, you begin to save $6k every year for the next few decades . . . .

Third-grade math folks.

And you would be remarkably wrong, but don't feel bad--a remarkably large number of people don't understand the solar panel value proposition
I'm not "remarkably wrong" as a variety of sources put the average ROI of solar panels at around eight years after factoring in typical tax credits/incentives. Besides, regardless of how long it may take (2 years, 8 years, 12 years, whatever) the energy is still not "nearly free" until one breaks even which was simply my point.

Disagree.

For NOW, dumping all of your GHG's remain free for nearly everyone. It's those in near-sea level countries, or on the coasts, that pay for all the dumping. Eventually, everyone will pay.

And, as stated, even if the panels had cost twice as much, the payback period would have been, gasp, a whole 30 months.

Most reading this will still be alive in 30 months . . . and future generations are impacted for their entire lives.

It's about leading vs. just going along with the flow. Leaders act for a better world, others don't.

Even if the net cost is HIGHER, the right thing to do is to switch to solar power and EV's YESTERDAY.

"Sorry kids, I could have left you a usable planet, BUT it would have cost me $200 per month more. Screw that, it wasn't worth it . . . . "

I'm sorry if the truth is offensive or hurts feelings.

If you have factual, sciential websites that you can post here, that state that, yes, we CAN dump unlimited GHG with no worry, please post them.

We'll be waiting.

Thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: gnxs and HarleyW
Getting back to the OP's question.

FUSC was originally intended for long distance driving only - it appears Tesla didn't anticipate some owners (especially commercial owners) would regularly use superchargers instead of relying mostly on their own overnight charging.

Rather than enforcing Tesla's original assumption of long distance driving only (which Tesla could do by restricting free charging within a driving radius around "home"), Tesla dropped FUSC - and is shifting superchargers to charge for the electricity being used.

Even with the recent "free supercharging" promotion, Tesla only provided that free charging for a few months - and didn't bring back FUSC.

However... It's possible Tesla could provide FUSC in the future on some vehicles (though adding a driving radius restriction would be reasonable).

Since S/X/Roadster are higher priced and lower volume vehicles, that's a feature Tesla could provide to add differentiation over the lower priced (3/Y) models and the vehicles from other manufacturers (who don't have their own charging networks).

But for now, unless the OP can find an inventory vehicle that has transferable FUSC or Tesla is willing to grant an exception (due to a totaled vehicle), seems likely FUSC won't be available on a replacement Tesla.

Getting back to the OP's question.

FUSC was originally intended for long distance driving only - it appears Tesla didn't anticipate some owners (especially commercial owners) would regularly use superchargers instead of relying mostly on their own overnight charging.

Rather than enforcing Tesla's original assumption of long distance driving only (which Tesla could do by restricting free charging within a driving radius around "home"), Tesla dropped FUSC - and is shifting superchargers to charge for the electricity being used.

Even with the recent "free supercharging" promotion, Tesla only provided that free charging for a few months - and didn't bring back FUSC.

However... It's possible Tesla could provide FUSC in the future on some vehicles (though adding a driving radius restriction would be reasonable).

Since S/X/Roadster are higher priced and lower volume vehicles, that's a feature Tesla could provide to add differentiation over the lower priced (3/Y) models and the vehicles from other manufacturers (who don't have their own charging networks).

But for now, unless the OP can find an inventory vehicle that has transferable FUSC or Tesla is willing to grant an exception (due to a totaled vehicle), seems likely FUSC won't be available on a replacement Tesla.

Or the OP could just get buckets of free electricity from solar panels and put his concern to bed, period.

As someone else posted, we're talking about, maybe, a thousand dollars worth of Supercharging--the topic is of minor concern. The much larger issue is why there aren't more people here with Tesla Energy PV arrays on their roofs, especially given the reason that Tesla exists in the first place . . . .

The reality is that solar electricity is so free/low-cost that once Tesla Energy ramps to meet demand, they'll hopefully have a bit more capacity to begin to cover the thousands of SC locations with solar canopies as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW