Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From 17 to 23 S with FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because of FSD transfer I ordered my second red S last month. It was a good upgrade for me from single engine 75. Luckily I waited until late August to pull the trigger and caught price drop. So I picked up last Thursday, on 9/14 exactly 6 years 1 day less than when I got my original S! Pickup location was Carlsbad,CA this time. (In 2017 it was Mira Mesa.) I have been always lucky with service and customer service in our area and pick up day was no exception. Great guy to do the delivery and nice technicians that I bought Fob from. No fob with new cars is a great no no to be if they were not selling it I was about to buy from ebay luckily in Carlsbad they sell the fobs. I disabled phone entry and it was 2017 again for me! 😀

There was only one S to be given around our appointment time and the red was looking so good and eye catching. When I did a light inspection I saw no problem but a little spot on the driver side door. They took it to the back and fixed it right away.

It was the same yet very different experience to drive the new S. I love it it has so much to explore!!!!!!!
The yoke was a big learning curve at first but I got used to it in a few miles. Cameras got calibrated quick too. Being stalkless was also interesting, especially turning on and off autopilot with wheel button.

Some quick notes from a couple days of driving:

-New screen is great but best for passengers and watching stuff. During the drive portrait screen is much better. Navigation steps if you expend they do not even show all in the new screen.
- Turn cameras are nice touch and very useful.
- Yoke buttons should be duplicated at the back of the parts where we hold it. so that we can press them with index and middle finger without letting it go. Especially turn signals would be great that way.
- New angles for maps and FSD is cool with HW4.

Couple days later I got FSD SW build and no complaints and much to report yet about HW3 vs HW4 but USS are being missed. The contour from top view is weird and HW4 things we are touching everywhere all the time!
With 17 I forget that I do not FSD anymore and with autopilot almost ran red light a couple times!

For now I alternate drive them and notice differences between 2 more and more. Both cars are amazing. We have a 2 car garage and parking logistics are hell now.( I promised wife that she will keep her side)

side_by_side.jpg

Stunning! Good to hear of good experiences with Tesla.
Because of FSD transfer I ordered my second red S last month. It was a good upgrade for me from single engine 75. Luckily I waited until late August to pull the trigger and caught price drop. So I picked up last Thursday, on 9/14 exactly 6 years 1 day less than when I got my original S! Pickup location was Carlsbad,CA this time. (In 2017 it was Mira Mesa.) I have been always lucky with service and customer service in our area and pick up day was no exception. Great guy to do the delivery and nice technicians that I bought Fob from. No fob with new cars is a great no no to be if they were not selling it I was about to buy from ebay luckily in Carlsbad they sell the fobs. I disabled phone entry and it was 2017 again for me! 😀

There was only one S to be given around our appointment time and the red was looking so good and eye catching. When I did a light inspection I saw no problem but a little spot on the driver side door. They took it to the back and fixed it right away.

It was the same yet very different experience to drive the new S. I love it it has so much to explore!!!!!!!
The yoke was a big learning curve at first but I got used to it in a few miles. Cameras got calibrated quick too. Being stalkless was also interesting, especially turning on and off autopilot with wheel button.

Some quick notes from a couple days of driving:

-New screen is great but best for passengers and watching stuff. During the drive portrait screen is much better. Navigation steps if you expend they do not even show all in the new screen.
- Turn cameras are nice touch and very useful.
- Yoke buttons should be duplicated at the back of the parts where we hold it. so that we can press them with index and middle finger without letting it go. Especially turn signals would be great that way.
- New angles for maps and FSD is cool with HW4.

Couple days later I got FSD SW build and no complaints and much to report yet about HW3 vs HW4 but USS are being missed. The contour from top view is weird and HW4 things we are touching everywhere all the time!
With 17 I forget that I do not FSD anymore and with autopilot almost ran red light a couple times!

For now I alternate drive them and notice differences between 2 more and more. Both cars are amazing. We have a 2 car garage and parking logistics are hell now.( I promised wife that she will keep her side)

View attachment 976114
Congrats! I picked up my 23 MS LR from Carlsbad too. I wish I knew they had the Keyfob, may have picked one up! My car had 20 miles on it. The last one had 5 miles. Also was able to transfer the FSD, and this made me really happy!

Reactions: asterothe
Congrats! I picked up my 23 MS LR from Carlsbad too. I wish I knew they had the Keyfob, may have picked one up! My car had 20 miles on it. The last one had 5 miles. Also was able to transfer the FSD, and this made me really happy!
I believe you can buy if you go back to the service there. Congrats to you too. FSD transfer was my main motivation to buy this year. And the upgrade is quite nice!

I don’t understand why everyone is so high about FSD? Form every single video review I’ve seen, it is still not even close to 100%: it misses turns sometimes, doesn’t pay attention to right turn only lanes, along with also having to touch the wheel every 20 seconds. I really don’t understand why anyone would pay for that?

Reactions: AMPd, TSLC and teko
As far as FSD, my impressions with the newest available release 11.4.7 is that it does 95% of the driving pretty well now. Big issue is that it will go against the route straight ahead at 55 MPH into a left turn lane with brakes. It changes lanes unexpectedly and for no reason, saying changing lanes to stay on route, when the NAV route is still straight ahead, and cars are all around you.

Phantom braking is much better, if not eliminated. The 5% you need to step in is immediate, so you are on high alert driving with FSD beta, because it does the worst things at the worst times. Still a toy. Progress is being made, but I think the neural networks are programmed for 95% probability that the action FSD takes is correct.

I don’t understand why everyone is so high about FSD? Form every single video review I’ve seen, it is still not even close to 100%: it misses turns sometimes, doesn’t pay attention to right turn only lanes, along with also having to touch the wheel every 20 seconds. I really don’t understand why anyone would pay for that?
I use it since FSDb became available with scores and it makes the car much more fun to drive. It's not perfect and not close to be really FSD but it makes a significant difference for me. I see the difference clearly when I use the one with basic AP only. For that reason transferring it was my main motivation.

Well, mine works about 85% of the time….so you should be happy.

Also I believe 17's trunk gate button area with plastic is better than 23's carpeted one.
Interesting to hear your thoughts.

I too have a 17’ S, but won’t part with it. I much prefer the portrait layout and stacking of map/camera/music. The car is nearly paid off and I just want a break and enjoy it for a while.

With the lifetime free Supercharging this car should be reasonably cheap to keep for a good long while, at the very least through the warranty period which still has two full years on it.

Will you keep yours?

Interesting to hear your thoughts.

I too have a 17’ S, but won’t part with it. I much prefer the portrait layout and stacking of map/camera/music. The car is nearly paid off and I just want a break and enjoy it for a while.

With the lifetime free Supercharging this car should be reasonably cheap to keep for a good long while, at the very least through the warranty period which still has two full years on it.

Will you keep yours?
I want to keep it! Storage space an issue but I love it. I was feeling like you and was not in hurry since this is such a great car and I was lucky that I had HW 2.5 upgraded to 3 and MCU 2. No interior cam for FSD is a blessing too. Unlimited supercharging means I am paying $0 for years to commute (after a SC opened where I work 2 years ago). FSD transfer offer made me buy early otherwise I have feeling this car has so many good years ahead. If car juggling becomes too much of a hassle or I will need cash, I will sell it otherwise I love it and it still makes me drive with 0 cost!

Reactions: Jumper and TSLC
Awesome. When price dropped I was so close to upgrade to Plaid but I held myself. I went from 1 engine to 2. Next one is 3 engine!!!!
You should check me on this, but I recall a physics teacher at my alma mater telling us that engines convert heat to mechanical energy. Therefore, cars with pistons have engines, but electric cars actually don't: they have motors.

So far I alternate driving both and I am happy with the new one too . (signaling is still more difficult)

It looks like it has 2 slight issues, most likely it's SW related but still might need to get them checked.
1) Proposed to run light show in the night but it does not start when I setup.
2) Sentry cams live checking works fine, and I am able to honk the horn, use lights but unable to talk through speaker and fart. (I am reluctant to open a service request saying my car does not fart 😀 )

Both issues seem to be related, to outside speaker?

Also I found the sticker from the old one and comparing to the new one. 17 is more expensive!

IMG_5572.jpegIMG_5526.jpeg

Reactions: aerodyne