Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Back to the Original Hand Holding of the Early Days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Probably not, but ...

A few weeks ago my car started complaining about a HV Fuse that needed replacing. Looking over TMC it appears the earlier cars had a battery supported fuse with a 10 year life. There is nothing in the car to determine if the battery is good or bad, just a clock at Teslaland.

Anyway all sorts of cars have been getting the alert all over the world (2013-2017). Estimates had been running from a low of $300 to over $1800 to replace it. It seems the pre 2016 cars have this fuse on top of the battery, and it has to be removed to get at it. Luckily the MX on (early 2016), has it on the bottom with a simple access hatch and 6 screws.

Anyway, over the last week it appears that Tesla has decided its a warranty issue with the cars with unlimited battery miles etc., so now the cost is $0 to replace it. I scheduled to have it done once I found that out. I got an early morning appointment expecting a 2 hour max repair cycle and I would wait for it just like the good ole days. But the Rocklin, CA SC also wanted to replace my eMMC chip too (MCU1), even though the app said mine was fine and nothing was really wrong with the car. So they wanted it for a full day and probably longer due to backlog. I also had a issue with my home charger that I wanted checked out too, so they offered me a loaner. Shock.

So I take it over Saturday AM at 8:30, I am the only one there. They get me checked in, take my additional concerns and point me to a M3. First time I have driven one. Much better than I expected but even with the new bells and whistles, I like my MX better.

Now I expected that I would get my car back Monday earliest (app said Sunday at 5:15 so you know what that means). But at 3:30 Saturday I get a notice its all done. And they even filled the tires which since it was cold that AM, one of them threw a tizzy right when I pulled into their lot.

Got my car back and did not notice any scratches, dirt, dents or other issues. And they found two pair of sunglasses that were into the depths I had not seen in years. The only issue I had was to BT re-pair my phone with the car (NBD). Everybody was friendly and the service manager chatted with me about the life of Tesla for a few minutes when I picked the car up, even though the app tried to keep me from contacting anyone. I am just old school and thought they deserved some real positive feedback.

So this experience may have been unique, probably not due to Elon (actually probably in spite of him), but it got me to re-appreciate the Tesla we helped get started and even made me think I would consider them if I needed a new car, but I am hoping to die in the one I have (not by an accident but by longevity).

So a shout out to the Tesla Rocklin, CA SC for a job well done. Keep it up. BTW the place was packed when I returned and the smell of popcorn drifted in the air. I think they must have been having a end of quarter sales event.

Last edited: