Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car totaled, insurance offer very low, does not take into account FSD, any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife had a freak accident and totaled our 2019 SR+ with FSD, 61,000 miles, with deep blue metallic paint. Luckily the car protected her and she is completely fine.

Insurance called and offered 26k. I told them that was way too low and asked for the information they based it on.

They sent me a Market Valuation Report from a company called CCC One. None of the comparables had full self driving. The amount it came to was 29k with a $600 deduction for the premium metallic paint.

Based on my research there is no way to get all that close to something comparable at 26k.

I am already disputing their research and pushing them to only include comparables with FSD. I also took issue with them dinging us for the premium paint that we paid $1000 extra for.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas? Has anyone been through this and successfully negotiated for a significantly larger amount?

Last edited:
Valid point asking for comps that have FSD, but be aware the used market places very little value on it.

You have no leg to stand on RE the color. Doesn't matter what you paid for it - only matters what the used market values it at, and blue cars are not as popular and generally sell for less.
Thanks. I really appreciate the information. I’ve never had a car be totaled before and am in uncharted territory.

USAA said they’d get back to me in 48 hours with possible new comps over 48 hours ago, but it’s crickets even after a follow up. They are really dropping the ball on this. The rental car coverage ends 7 days from last Tuesday when they notified me it was totaled. Being in limbo like this is very frustrating. The person handling our claim has been horrible with communication. It took them 3 weeks to talk to the body shop after we had given them all the information and the body shop had submitted the estimate to them. I think I’m going to need to see about having them switch the claim to someone else.