Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any progress from Tesla on the Right to Repair front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any potential drive to the ground Tesla vehicle owner who is concerned that not much has been said on this front since early this year?

Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

The “Right to Repair”, which primarily aims to force electronic manufacturers to sell replacement parts and make their diagnostic and service manuals available to independent repair shops and consumers, is gaining some traction.

It is currently only in place in Massachusetts, which is why it’s the only state where Tesla owners can register to access repair manuals, service documents, wiring diagrams, and part information, but Tesla President Jon McNeill now says that the automaker is working on opening the program.

Decent discussion:
Repairing My Tesla Model S Has Been a Nightmare | Hacker News

There is progress, but you won't like it.
Tesla toolbox (that thing you use to diagnose your car and do other useful things) reportedly was withdrawn from regular people (in MA in US, also in EU) and now you get to use it only if you are approved Tesla shop.

Does not sound to much like "opening up service tools).

Nine months have gone by without any additional word it seems after googling info within the past month.

I'm probably part of the minority here but I'm most likely not going to order a Tesla until we get a firm commitment from Tesla that it will share repair instructions and open up the tools so that post warranty/ESA, we can use major components (battery, DU, etc) found in scrap yards or elsewhere and not be held by the b@lls needing really expensive parts and labor from Tesla and having to wait for months if the parts are available in the gray market.

If a Tesla breaks down post warranty/ESA, the company is no longer on the hook for any liabilities anyway maybe except for safety recalls and not opening the Right to Repair up is more like an avenue for profiteering instead of being revenue neutral.

Last edited:
Yep, without the toolbox and the extensive measures they are doing to lock things down harder, good luck fixing your own car. Heck, just for fun call Tesla service and ask to see your Tesla logs, see how open they are to giving you the logs for your own car....

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Oh well, the 2020 BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe will be electrified so Bavaria's win is Tesla's loss.

I'm sure it's going to cost less to purchase a BMW and maintain it without the troublesome turbocharged engines. :)

There's also the 2021 electric Infinity that maybe the most reliable of the bunch of it comes with TMS.

EM is targeting $650b market cap. Maybe he will really nickel and dime his loyal fans to get to that level.