Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tricks or tools for removing the aero wheel center caps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to figure out a way to get the center caps off my aero wheels, but haven’t had much luck. Are there any tips on how to do it without taking the wheels off? I’ve tried a couple of different suction cups (no luck) and sticking gorilla tape on and pulling up (got one off, but the rest won’t budge).

I’ll probably end up pulling the wheels, but I’d think there is a better way.

Thanks!

I drilled a small hole in each of mine, end use a small angeled pick to pull them off. The hole is not vicible unless you are really close and know it´s there :)

i thought the aero wheels were like hubcaps and they were all as one piece, reason for me thinking that is when i removed the "hub caps" to reveal just the rim portion, there were no center caps.
I assume he means a regular center cap on an aero wheel, not the aero hubcap.

Yeah, I was talking about the little center cap.

I ended up taping part of the wheel around the cap with painters tape and using a couple of little screwdrivers to pop out the cap (thanks @ewoodrick). No marring of the wheel, but a couple of the caps have tiny marks on them, which you can’t see from the front. Mission accomplished and now I’ve been able to get some AliExpress wheel caps on.

IMG_8724.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8726.jpeg
    IMG_8726.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Yeah, I was talking about the little center cap.

ok, that makes much more sense to me!

I used a little flat blade screwdriver to remove mine. The tape is a good idea but I ended up marking the caps a little bit, not the wheel.

I've read a strong suction cup can remove them. The ones with the release lever. I didn't have one that was big enough so I couldn't try.

ok, that makes much more sense to me!

I used a little flat blade screwdriver to remove mine. The tape is a good idea but I ended up marking the caps a little bit, not the wheel.

I've read a strong suction cup can remove them. The ones with the release lever. I didn't have one that was big enough so I couldn't try.

I heard about the suction cup thing, too, but couldn’t find one that would work (I tried a couple)