Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to get phone speaker audio notifications when connected via BT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there is no text message support as of yet on our cars, does anyone know of a workaround that will make the phone use it's speaker for a text notification when it's connected to the car? I don't want to turn off the BT media connection, as I'd like to have the option to easily stream music without having to go in and toggle that back on, but currently if a text comes in you have no audio notification of any kind if you don't have the media on the car set specifically to the phone.

Maybe a tasker workaround or an app of some kind that will detect that if a text comes in while a specific BT connection is active to make a notification sound via the speakers.

Ideas?

Since there is no text message support as of yet on our cars, does anyone know of a workaround that will make the phone use it's speaker for a text notification when it's connected to the car? I don't want to turn off the BT media connection, as I'd like to have the option to easily stream music without having to go in and toggle that back on, but currently if a text comes in you have no audio notification of any kind if you don't have the media on the car set specifically to the phone.

Maybe a tasker workaround or an app of some kind that will detect that if a text comes in while a specific BT connection is active to make a notification sound via the speakers.

Ideas?

If you are using an Apple iPhone, consider getting an Apple Watch....I get haptic alerts as well as audio. Oh, and once you get an Apple Watch, get the Remote S app. Outstanding Apple Watch integration.

I just joined this forum today. I found it while googling for this very same problem. Not only do we miss audio notifications (which includes text, email and push), but we can't ask Google (or Siri) for anything and expect to hear an answer. Instead I have to read her response, which is not a good idea when driving.

Tesla, you listening?! Or is your Model 3 blocking it? ;-)

No integration. Just that with an iPhone and Apple Watch set up properly, the watch will give haptic alerts, and I can use Siri hands free (raise the watch to wake up). Worked with my old 'series 1' watch and my new Series 4. Still suboptimal--would be nice if Tesla had full integration.

Unlike any other car I've owned with bluetooth, the Tesla somehow routes ALL of the phone's audio to the car, meaning if you don't have the car's audio switched to the phone (like when listening to the radio or streaming slack) you won't hear any of the phone's audio notifications. I strongly suspect that the Tesla software not properly utilizing the software APIs available on Android (me) or IOS.

If you are using an Apple iPhone, consider getting an Apple Watch....I get haptic alerts as well as audio. Oh, and once you get an Apple Watch, get the Remote S app. Outstanding Apple Watch integration.

With my phone mounted on the ProClip I turned on "Alert Flash". It lights up the Passenger footwell pretty good and catches my attention.
I also have the Apple Watch but don't use it every day.

I have the same request. I'd like the car to overlay any sound the phone makes on top of the streaming music, just like it does if a phone call comes in. I've had other cars that did this well, and I've had some that didn't.