Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Carting SCUBA Gear in a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I'm thinking of getting a Model 3 to replace my gas-guzzler V8 Ute which is currently my regular dive vehicle. I'm a little worried about the cargo space on the Model 3 (and haven't yet had a chance to check one out at the showroom.

Is there anyone in TMC that uses their Model 3 to drive to and from dives with their dive gear in the car?

I'd like to be able to easily carry 2 steel tanks, plus all my other gear including a drysuit.

Yes. For one person, it’s sufficient. Roller bag, two tanks and drysuit bag all fit in the back, though depending on the size of your roller it may be easier to put the seats down. Carry the card in a drysuit undergarment pocket so you can lock the car and leave the phone behind

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I can report after using my Model 3 to drive to my dive sites 5 times now that there is plenty of space even with the back seats up.

I can fit 3 tanks, a dive tub, two small tubs for my weights, my drysuit in a bag, and a DIY portable shower in the back. My camera sits in a tub on the back seat secured with a Unifix strap.

I turn my phone off, so it can't be used to access the car. I put the keycard in a pocket on the upper arm of my undergarment (Fourth Element Arctic) and I can lock/unlock the car just by leaning on the door pillar.

• Helpful
I turn my phone off, so it can't be used to access the car. I put the keycard in a pocket on the upper arm of my undergarment
(Fourth Element Arctic) and I can lock/unlock the car just by leaning on the door pillar.
Just in case, I stored an extra keycard in an hidden location (somewhere inside the frunk, but you need to open it with a small battery),
in case I lost my phone, or it runs out of battery..., and lost my wallet or my keycard, and I'm far away from my home.
It is also good to have someone able to open remotely your car with a phone app.

Note: I recently get lock out of my car while my phone and wallet were inside of my car.
I was lucky this happens in my garage and I had an extra card.

Does your Fourth Element Arctic is a Drysuit? Where do you dive? Do you have some VLog?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Fourth Element Arctic is garment worn under my drysuit: https://fourthelement.com.au/arctic-3/

I dive at a location called Kurnell, just south of Sydney. It is the place where Cook "claimed" Australia for England.

Here is my dive log: Dive Log - ATJ's Diving Site I'm very behind in putting photographs up.
Outstanding! Thank you. Just some random pics...

P_taeniolatus_TheSteps180318.jpg

N_purpureolineata_TheSteps180318.jpg

Is there any old galleon wrecks?

I dived in the Atlantic ocean and saw some cannons from one Galleon from the Great Armada.

I dive at a location called Kurnell, just south of Sydney. It is the place where Cook "claimed" Australia for England.

Do you dive from the coast or do you use a boat?
Is there a lot of ocean current?
Does the seabed is going deep very fast?
Is there any marine caves?
How much tide do you have?

I have been diving in the Brittany peninsula and there was more than ten meters of tide during the equinox.
So you were only able to dive during the slack tide.

No galleon wrecks. Sydney is way too far from Europe. Before 1788, the only ships that came to Australia were explorers.
If you like studying history, did you nickname your Model 3 as 'Endeavour' ?

Last edited: