Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Door handle motor gear cracked, not presenting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
My driver side door handle has stopped presenting for a while, but does unlatch when the handle is touched. All other doors is fine. My door handle has been replaced with the gen 3 version (no micro switch) at one point and the gear on the motor marked 1116199-00-C was cracked, which seems like a somewhat common problem on the gen 3 handles. I have replaced it with a used one but the handle still does not present. Applying 4vdc to the motor does extend and retract the handle so the motor itself does seem to work. Testing the motors on the Tesla seems like power is not being supplied to it, but have not really had the time to inspect it further.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas of common issues regarding this before I open the door up again. Possible fuse? Bad harness/component?

I also read about requiring Tesla's Toolbox software for calibration of gen 3 door handles, but I wouldn't think changing a DC motor would cause much issue. Forum member IvanDrago last month mentioned door handle calibration is available in a recent update in service mode, but it doesn't seem like an option on my old MCU1 P90D.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230603_181827.jpg
    20230603_181827.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 313
If your firmware version is allowing to redeploy current software then this is substitute to the Toolbox. This is always needed if you change any CAN components, previously you liked to wait for new version to come so after failed unit change one can start the download. See photos:

D6747F04-6F6A-42C0-8839-FD9F881789B9.jpeg

C791CD54-A176-49FA-940F-2F7D13DA6781.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion KalJoMoS and thanks for pulling the service manual. I had entered service mode again and this time I had a Door Handle Calibration Menu. I'm not sure why I did not see it earlier. All I had to do was enter service mode and unlock Gateway as the screen instructed. My car was not being charged at the time.

I had a pending update and ran an update after messing with the door handles and before posting but it did not seem to solve the issue. I don't recall if I re-entered service mode again or if I have just overlooked the option.
Again I did not retrofit the Gen 3.0 handle, that was originally done be Tesla Service, all I did was changed the motor that drives the paddle gear in the initial image. Although I would assume you could retrofit the handle and calibrate it yourself (Would need door handle, harness, door handle controller, and the cover plate). I guess it had lost calibration or had reset it's calibration as it had detected something wrong initially.

Attachments

• 20230604_184604.jpg
    20230604_184604.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 20230604_184619.jpg
    20230604_184619.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for the suggestion KalJoMoS and thanks for pulling the service manual. I had entered service mode again and this time I had a Door Handle Calibration Menu. I'm not sure why I did not see it earlier. All I had to do was enter service mode and unlock Gateway as the screen instructed. My car was not being charged at the time.

I had a pending update and ran an update after messing with the door handles and before posting but it did not seem to solve the issue. I don't recall if I re-entered service mode again or if I have just overlooked the option.
Again I did not retrofit the Gen 3.0 handle, that was originally done be Tesla Service, all I did was changed the motor that drives the paddle gear in the initial image. Although I would assume you could retrofit the handle and calibrate it yourself (Would need door handle, harness, door handle controller, and the cover plate). I guess it had lost calibration or had reset it's calibration as it had detected something wrong initially.

When having a 2.1 or 3.0 door handle that does not present and if you run an update / redeploy car will try to calibrate all handles and will fail and so lose calibration of that specific door handle with issue.
When you afterwards fix the not presenting issue calibration is needed.

That makes sense. The handle not present issue happen quite a long time ago, and I'm sure I have ran a software update at one point when it was broken. I never bother to try and fix it as it was still unlatching reliably by touch, then when I did took the handle out I realize its been replaced with a 3.0 handle, had to order the motor and put it off for a month after that.

I am glad there is a Door Handle Calibration option in service mode. Gen 3 handles are a bit more DIY friendly now without Tesla assistance. If this gear cracking becomes more common, hopefully we'll see some replacement gears available possibly with a set screw.

I think that is where I was. The menu looks a bit different now. And, it seems to be missing the one feature that I need. I presume that the handle calibration has been shuffled off to the extra-cost "+ Additional Resources".

Attachments

• PXL_20230828_201426311.jpg
    PXL_20230828_201426311.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Same story here - a cracked gear wheel on the motor of the door handle (Gen 3 right front door handle). Does anybody know if the gear can be purchased somewhere and replaced as a DIY? I don't know if it is a shrink-fit assembly or it it just slides on the D-profile axel. In either case it seems to be another poor design that leaves high stress on a cheap cast part.

BTW, I see the same service mode screen as McElectric without the door calibration function.

I had a complete, non-functional, door handle in reserve. The motor worked and it had a good gear on it.

Still no resolution to the calibration issue.
As it is, the door handle is functional. If the car is unlocked, a press on the handle unlocks the car. If the car is parked at an angle, one has to pull on the door edge to make sure it opens past the catch.

I had a complete, non-functional, door handle in reserve. The motor worked and it had a good gear on it.

Still no resolution to the calibration issue.
As it is, the door handle is functional. If the car is unlocked, a press on the handle unlocks the car. If the car is parked at an angle, one has to pull on the door edge to make sure it opens past the catch.
When you install a new gen2.1 or gen3 it acts the same as you are describing so still think calibration is needed.

You have MCU2 right? You suppose to have additional sub menu buttons in service mode on the left, there you can find the calibration option.

Screenshot from service menu post #3 is MCU1 which is different from MCU2 so that's why the calibration button isn't there in your car

Last edited:
I have an early 2018 with MCU2 - an upgrade after delivery - and I have no calibration button.

BTW, does anybody know if the gear wheel is a shrink-fit assembly or if the gear wheel can easily be taken on and off?

I was able to get hold of a used motor with gear wheel attached. The gear is solidly attached to the axle of the motor, but I cannot discern if it is epoxied on or if is a shrink-fit.

Anyway, I switched out the motor with the cracked gear with this one and assembled the door again. I was worried about having to go to a service center and talk them into doing a handle calibration for me, but it worked after assemble without any calibration. I don't know why it did not require the calibration when it was needed for other but I was obviously happy about that.

Gears will keep cracking with this design so I am still interested in finding out how we can replace the gear (for example with a machined part) instead of being subjected to a $420 replacement of the whole handle.

I was able to get hold of a used motor with gear wheel attached. The gear is solidly attached to the axle of the motor, but I cannot discern if it is epoxied on or if is a shrink-fit.

Anyway, I switched out the motor with the cracked gear with this one and assembled the door again. I was worried about having to go to a service center and talk them into doing a handle calibration for me, but it worked after assemble without any calibration. I don't know why it did not require the calibration when it was needed for other but I was obviously happy about that.

Gears will keep cracking with this design so I am still interested in finding out how we can replace the gear (for example with a machined part) instead of being subjected to a $420 replacement of the whole handle.
Try this. You need to bore out the hole to 6mm or 15/64". then clean and crazy glue when in final position. The lock self calibrates.

Following up on this. I spent a lot of time tracking down possible solutions. Then learned to live with the problem.

Today, an update arrived (probably the much trumpeted "make sure FSD users are watching the road" update). I got in the car, pressed the brake, and all of a sudden my wipers started going on intermittent. Now both stages of intermittent had been dead for months. I assumed a stalk defect. Nope. An f'ing software bug, again. At this point I was already quite happy.

So, I go into the service menu, and find the door handle calibration button has suddenly appeared. Push the button, and suddenly my door handle works perfectly!

Time will tell, but this may be the best Christmas present I get this year.