Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone concerned about losing autopilot features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla adds driver occupancy sensing the same video could be made with a weight in the seat...

But how heavy would it need to be? 50lbs good enough? And what if the seat sensor can detect if the load dynamically shifts? http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/ocs1.htm

That's a big thing and you don't want to damage your seat so it might have to be a big soft bag of sand?

And remember you'll need to buckle the seat belt as well ;)

And now start the car driving and try to get out of the seat.

But how heavy would it need to be? 50lbs good enough? And what if the seat sensor can detect if the load dynamically shifts? http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/ocs1.htm

That's a big thing and you don't want to damage your seat so it might have to be a big soft bag of sand?

And remember you'll need to buckle the seat belt as well ;)

And now start the car driving and try to get out of the seat.

The seat sensor in the driver seat is simply a switch. It takes virtually no force to trigger it. You can test this by lifting your weight, opening the driver door, and closing it while parked. The car will shut off. Then just apply a little weight to the seat and it will come back to life.

You can also just have a passenger press on the driver seat lightly with their hand and it will wake the car again (was doing this before I realized touching the 17" did the same thing).

Confirmed this on the loose seats I have as well. The passenger seat is the one with a more complex sensor due to the passenger air bag related stuff. It has a bladder with liquid and a pressure sensor, presumably to determine the weight of the passenger to decide on airbag deployment.

I'm more worried about the fact that the nav info is so outdated that it often thinks the road I'm on doesn't exist and gives me directions as if I'm on a completely different road. How well will that work if I'm on a new expressway and it either thinks it's still the old road, or thinks I'm on a nearby surface street.

Right now this is no issue, because I get to use my own eyes to decide if the road is appropriate or not.

This is removing a feature I find useful, without giving me anything in return. We can argue about various aspects of UI changes before, but those were usually more a compromise, give one thing while taking away another. Adding limits to where AP can be used, if not 100% accurate every single time would not be a compromise, it would be a downgrade.

So far only one person seems to have reported this issue, however I expect that, if this is a real rollout, we'll see a lot more about it in the next few days. If we don't though it's even more confusing as to where those screenshots could have come from...

I suspect it could have been another, "Oops, you got a beta update by mistake" situation. Doesn't change that the next update seems to include autopilot restrictions.