Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone disabled the PWS on refreshed S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you want to?
I had a 2018 3 which didn’t have the PWS and I liked how silent it was when driving forward or backward slowly. That silence was a big part of its allure for me. The reverse noise on my S is especially loud and annoying. I know it’s for safety but I drove my quiet 3 for 3 years without coming close to hitting anyone so I’m not too worried about that aspect.

Yeah it is kinda annoying my 2020 didn’t have external speaker and was quite as a mouse on backing up does the sound play when you are driving forward as well? I have not found a way to disable it but I highly doubt it as it was a Safety mandate.

I had a 2018 3 which didn’t have the PWS and I liked how silent it was when driving forward or backward slowly. That silence was a big part of its allure for me. The reverse noise on my S is especially loud and annoying. I know it’s for safety but I drove my quiet 3 for 3 years without coming close to hitting anyone so I’m not too worried about that aspect.
I think the PWS is required by law, so you can’t legally disable it.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and if it’s similar to the procedure for the 3/Y.
You could, in theory, just disconnect the speaker. This of course would also disable the megaphone, boombox, and lightshow sound, if you care about those. Very likely an easy procedure that I'd guess would take you less than 30 minutes.

The only issue I could see is if (god forbid) you're involved in an incident with a pedestrian and they determine you had disabled the feature, that could get you into hot water, but I'd consider that largely unlikely.

I think the PWS is required by law, so you can’t legally disable it.
As the laws differ in different countries and states, this is a presumptive legal absurdity. Much more likely is that in some nanny jurisdiction there is a regulation the manufacturer must comply with to provide this feature. And even there it’s unlikely to prohibit disabling.

As the laws differ in different countries and states, this is a presumptive legal absurdity. Much more likely is that in some nanny jurisdiction there is a regulation the manufacturer must comply with to provide this feature. And even there it’s unlikely to prohibit disabling.
I don’t know about other countries, but I believe the PWS is required everywhere in the US.