Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have trouble with AWD config tool?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a dark silver model 3 (RWD) for about 1 month now and am loving it.
However, recently the AWD version was announced and so I went into the configuration tool to see what a white interior AWD would set me back. I could not find the white interior and while searching...before I knew it, my order was confirmed! via an on screen confirmation...followed by an email from Tesla saying $3200 (CDN) deposit had been laced on my credit card. YIKES!
I immediately emailed back saying Tesla had jumped the gun..had not provided any type of confirmation screen, nor had they asked for any financial information. They simply used the financial data on file I guess..a bit shocked at this.
...long story short...
Tesla Sales in Vancouver provided a phone # which I called several times over the following week and I could not get through. I asked for any other # as I was concerned it would actually get built in a configuration I did not want. The Sales guy (Oliver) was not helpful and quite rude, suggesting it was not his problem and he had no other 3's or ideas. I finally got another Tesla # in Fremont from my local Vancouver service guy (Thanks to Anthony!). I was told by Fremont I could accept the order as is..with colour black which I would not want...or cancel and receive all funds back. They would not reinstate my reservation and I guess I would go back to the end of the queue. Because of the lack of Vancouver sales support on this, I unfortunately decided to cancel my 2nd reservation.
I will definitely likely buy another Model 3 AWD later, but the experience left me a bit dumbfounded by the online configurator.
As a sidenote, I actually reserved 4 Teslas on Day 1 in 2016. Unfortunately about a week later Tesla returned 2 of the deposits as a cap of 2 reservations was put in place. (talk about underselling a great car!... I will eventuall get my 4 model 3...just later that expected!)

Has anyone else experienced this weird AWD Model 3 ordering event?

Yes MP3Mike...I came to realize that too late. Just wish Tesla could have backed out their snafu and allowed my reservation to stand. I expect they know they mucked up. No biggy though. I waited 2 years 2 months and 3 days for my 1st model 3.
I can wait a bit longer for my AWD version.