Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which of the following Tesla models would you purchase today (Jan-10-2024) ?

Which of the following Tesla models would you purchase today (Jan-10-2024) ?

• Buy Highland Model 3LR: $45990 today

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Buy Inventory Model 3P: $38390 today

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Buy Inventory Model YLR: $36590 today

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Wait for Highland Model 3LR price to be adjusted to about $39000

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Wait for Highland Model 3LR price to be adjusted further to $36000 at EOQ sale

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Wait for Highland Model 3P: $43490 (if/when it exists and qualifies for the tax incentive)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine asked my advice on purchasing her first Tesla. Her primary requirement is AWD. She qualifies for the Federal tax incentive. I had previously advised her to wait for the Highland Model 3 orders to open, and now that they are I cannot find any reason to recommend her to purchase the new Model 3 LR based on its price when compared to the other Tesla options.

Which one of the following options available to us today (01-10-2024) would you select?
  1. Highland Model 3LR: $45990
  2. Inventory Model 3P: $45890 minus $7500 = $38390
  3. Inventory Model YLR: $44090 minus $7500 = $36590
Considering that the inventory cars will be gone sooner or later, I would still advise her to wait for the Model 3LR price to be adjusted to below a custom order Model YLR ($41490).

So, the 7500 tax credit does not apply to highland model? Only 2023 models?
  • $7500 does not apply to any Model 3RWD and Model 3LR, whether it's a 2023 model (can be found in the inventory) or a 2024 Highland ( custom order)
  • $7500 does apply to the 2023 Model 3P (can be found in the inventory)
  • $7500 may apply to the 2024 Highland Model 3P, except that it doesn't yet exist

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezla1
  • $7500 does not apply to any Model 3RWD and Model 3LR, whether it's a 2023 model (can be found in the inventory) or a 2024 Highland ( custom order)
  • $7500 does apply to the 2023 Model 3P (can be found in the inventory)
  • $7500 may apply to the 2024 Highland Model 3P, except that it doesn't yet exist
Please note that I am talking specifically about buying the car. Leasing (really a long term rental when it comes to Tesla) should include a $7500 tax incentive on every Model 3 and Y but my friend is not interested in a Tesla lease/rental.

Does she prefer a 3 or Y?

If she prefers a 3, does she prefer the Highland enough to pay the higher effective price?

If she prefers a 3, but favors range over performance, consider the option of the old 3P + aftermarket 18" wheels and LRR tires (Hankook iON EVO, Pirelli PZero Elect, etc.).

Does she prefer a 3 or Y?

If she prefers a 3, does she prefer the Highland enough to pay the higher effective price?

If she prefers a 3, but favors range over performance, consider the option of the old 3P + aftermarket 18" wheels and LRR tires (Hankook iON EVO, Pirelli PZero Elect, etc.).

She prefers the 3. Good advice on 3P with 18". Thanks.

Considering that the 3 is usually $3-4K cheaper than the corresponding Y, even with the Highland updates, I simply cannot recommend her (or anyone) to buy a 3LR for almost $10K more than a YLR.

(The irony is that I have personally bought multiple Ss, 3, X Plaid, and ordered CT as soon as each of them was released, but somehow can't recommend a friend to make the same dumb decisions I have made.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thp3
What I would do shouldn’t have any influence on your friend. Y vs 3 is personal. Lowest price vs getting exactly what you want (if different) is personal. How long a wait for a Highland Performance is unknown. Future pricing and tax credits is unknown.

None, is that an option?

As a Tesla owner, the Tesla CEO is an embarrassment. I suspect the brand is just starting a downhill slide that won’t recover. I think within 10 years Musk will shut the car manufacturer business down including Service Centers, leaving owners without support.

Musk will be making billions off charging stations, he’ll be the BP of EV’s.

Last edited:
Just drove a highland and IMO, the ride quality and NVH improvement is worth the wait and cost. Pre-'24 m3 just doesn't seem worth it anymore if you're looking at a new/newer vehicle anyway. Regardless of any price difference. Highland feels like a real, grown-up car. Older m3 has always felt like a rattletrap econobox.

Last edited: