Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else not care about video games and farts in their car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I don’t get it. I don’t play video games in my car. I dont own any gaming consoles at home either. Yes, my kids have them but I don’t get why this is being added to a car. Seems like they could make better use of their time then calibrating which seat will have a fart sound. Maybe at 52, I’m too old to get the humor. I’d rather have a look at the stock market or breaking news. Actually, I use my phone for that. Am I alone here?
I too am surprised as there are still real problems like audible blind spot warning or very long times for the car to wake up or the radio and even turn signals losing sound.

Maybe I don’t get it. I don’t play video games in my car. I dont own any gaming consoles at home either. Yes, my kids have them but I don’t get why this is being added to a car. Seems like they could make better use of their time then calibrating which seat will have a fart sound. Maybe at 52, I’m too old to get the humor. I’d rather have a look at the stock market or breaking news. Actually, I use my phone for that. Am I alone here?

So, maybe we aren't as lucky as your car has been.

My car doesn't already have an old fart in it, as yours evidently does

One other aspect of this is that Tesla does not advertise in the traditional sense. Each time they release one of these fun little Easter Eggs hundreds of articles get posted about them and thousands of people see the name Tesla. Intended or not this generates a lot of low cost advertising for them in social media and headlines. I've had several non-Tesla owning friends and family ask if I've got the fart update yet. These people are seeing articles and posts about these and it is keeping the name Tesla in people's minds in a positive post.

Have you got the fart update yet? Hehawhawhawheeheee!

This is brilliant! I think it's like surgical mind-control advertising. You see, Tesla has a problem. Just about everyone wants a Tesla, even those who say they don't. And if you have read Aesop's Fables, you know what the term "sour grapes" refers to. The problem is, Tesla are somewhat expensive, at least the upfront cost - not everyone can swing it which tends to make Tesla seem kind of high faluting, stodgy, for rich bastards. People that want a Tesla but think they can't afford one need an excuse not to buy one. So they bad-mouth them, call them "toys for the rich", etc. Fart mode breaks right through all that stodgy, toys for the rich perception and creates the car for the common man, most men don't "pass gas", they "fart". Women too. Who can badmouth a car with "fart mode" as a toy for rich people? You have to chuckle.

This is not about giving owners another valuable software upgrade, it's about surgical advertising. And all publicity is good publicity.

Not to be taken too seriously, these simple Easter Eggs are gifts, given to owners to let they know that real people are behind the cars, and life, while serious, should be taken with a grain of humor.

Some will get a smile out of them, and others will just scoff "Bah Humbug" at the simple joy.

Jeep is another company that includes Easter Eggs in their production vehicle. They are not listed on the Moroney sticker, but little things hidden in and on the car that are designed to bring a little smile to those that discover them.

Usually, after a Tesla Easter Egg is provided, clever owners will continue to find delight in finding the Easter Egg hidden inside the obvious Easter Egg.

• Love
Reactions: Krugerrand
Typically, the people complaining about "this is wasting time from something else that should be fixed!!!" dont understand how developers / scientists generally work in tech forward companies. Thats why you get people saying "They are wasting their time when they should be doing XXXX" when the person saying that has no clue how development or "Fixing XXXX" actually happens.
I work at a major tech company (Microsoft). I know how development & fixing bugs actually happens.

These are not new projects that are likely to inspire innovative new features for the vehicle. They are distractions, and any time spent on them is time not spent doing other things, whether that's fixing bugs or adding new features.

I think there would be less complaining about these sorts of "extras" if there were more consistent improvements happening in other areas and/or if they were delivering on all of Elon's promises (i.e. improved Summon before EOY). The release notes spend lots of time talking about the new games/fart apps, and they never spend any time talking about bug fixes. Gives the impression that they aren't fixing much, when they probably have dozens of fixes in each release.

wish they would spend their time coding a working USB music streaming and a bluetooth phone set up that works

OP is a grinch.

No laughing for him is not enough. He wants to try and stop everyone else from laughing too.

I am 49 and laughed hard with the stupid farts and the fireplace. Guess I am stupid too. Should be worried about the stock market instead.
I agree, I am in my 70’s and get a laugh out of the Easter Eggs. But I get more enjoyment out of explaining the eggs and all the fun stuff Tesla has given us. My grandkids and just young folks cant believe all this is in my Tesla. They gives me so much joy!! I keep thinking GM trying to explain to the Board of Directors the need for a “fart meter”!!

I work at a major tech company (Microsoft). I know how development & fixing bugs actually happens.

These are not new projects that are likely to inspire innovative new features for the vehicle. They are distractions, and any time spent on them is time not spent doing other things, whether that's fixing bugs or adding new features.

I think there would be less complaining about these sorts of "extras" if there were more consistent improvements happening in other areas and/or if they were delivering on all of Elon's promises (i.e. improved Summon before EOY). The release notes spend lots of time talking about the new games/fart apps, and they never spend any time talking about bug fixes. Gives the impression that they aren't fixing much, when they probably have dozens of fixes in each release.

Microsoft doesn’t have any coders working on games? Of course they do. There have been games in every version of windows since the first version I remember using (windows 3.0). They develop other games too as I’m sure you know.

Have you considered the possibility that there are different teams working on different projects? I’m quite sure that is how your employer works, right?

I share your frustration that some issues haven’t been fixed yet (despite being present for some time) but to be brutally honest I’ve got the same sorts of issues with some of the products created by your employer too.

Have you got the fart update yet? Hehawhawhawheeheee!

This is brilliant! I think it's like surgical mind-control advertising. You see, Tesla has a problem. Just about everyone wants a Tesla, even those who say they don't. And if you have read Aesop's Fables, you know what the term "sour grapes" refers to. The problem is, Tesla are somewhat expensive, at least the upfront cost - not everyone can swing it which tends to make Tesla seem kind of high faluting, stodgy, for rich bastards. People that want a Tesla but think they can't afford one need an excuse not to buy one. So they bad-mouth them, call them "toys for the rich", etc. Fart mode breaks right through all that stodgy, toys for the rich perception and creates the car for the common man, most men don't "pass gas", they "fart". Women too. Who can badmouth a car with "fart mode" as a toy for rich people? You have to chuckle.

This is not about giving owners another valuable software upgrade, it's about surgical advertising. And all publicity is good publicity.

Don’t agree with this at all.

Not everyone wants a Tesla. I know many who have driven them and have no interest. And they certainly have the means to pay cash for a new Tesla. Any of them. Trust me, these are not seen as “toys for the rich”. That’s many levels up.

Besides, OP already has a Tesla.

Don’t agree with this at all.

Not everyone wants a Tesla. I know many who have driven them and have no interest. And they certainly have the means to pay cash for a new Tesla. Any of them. Trust me, these are not seen as “toys for the rich”. That’s many levels up.

Besides, OP already has a Tesla.

I ddin't say "everyone" wants a Tesla. But most people do. At least most people who have driven one.

Yes, the OP already has a Tesla. That was my point. The "fart mode" is not for owners, it's surgical advertising targeting those who are not yet owners. You must not have read my message very carefully.

It's definitely not for me, but I have to acknowledge its good marketing.

It's also a reminder of just how powerful the Tesla name/image is among people with kids.

What I find funny is Porsche has acknowledged that they're copying the Tesla strategy. At least in terns of superchargers, SW updates, etc.

I would love to be a German speaking fly on the wall in a German boardroom talking about the Fart app.

Reactions: ModelX
I am 64 and I have 3 grandchildren. I LOVE the eggs. The kids use the doodle pad all the time and I occasionally put on the Christmas eggs at this time of year, particularly for people who have not seen it before.

I am not really interested in the game on v9 but the Emission Testing has my grandchildren in hysterics.

A car manufacturer with a sense of humour. Other than in advertising, who could have anticipated that.

I am a 100% devotee to my P85D but that doesn't mean I that I love everything about it. There are a few niggles, adjustable seat belt height being the main one, but after more than 22 months I still get a kick out of it every time I get in and drive away, even if it is only to the shops.

Reactions: Bobbo8 and EinSV
The romance mode, the games and especially the farts set Tesla cars apart from all and any competition.

upload_2018-12-23_7-19-50.png

No more fartless cars for me. In the future all car purchases will be determined by the quality of the farts.

I ddin't say "everyone" wants a Tesla. But most people do. At least most people who have driven one.

Yes, the OP already has a Tesla. That was my point. The "fart mode" is not for owners, it's surgical advertising targeting those who are not yet owners. You must not have read my message very carefully.

Your exact words were “just about everyone”. Which is totally false, sorry.

I read your post carefully. I just happen to disagree with your point. I do agree that it’s marketing, for sure. But my belief is that it’s primarily meant for owners. I have no idea where your sour grapes / jealousy theory came from.

I do agree that it’s marketing, for sure. But my belief is that it’s primarily meant for owners.

Well now, that is some fine double-speak!

I have no idea where your sour grapes / jealousy theory came from.

It's simply a personal observation of people I know who love the idea of an insanely quick, good handling electric car but can't afford any new car, let alone a Tesla P3D. A $70K car is viewed by many to be impractical, excessive, wasteful, and more. They still want one but will make up excuses why they really don't want one. But you can see the lust in their eyes, it's unmistakable.

"Sour grapes" was recognized by Aesop, a former Greek slave, over 2,500 years ago and is far more common than you might know. People of 2,500 years ago had the same human characteristics of modern humans. The "sour grapes" phenomenon is also well documented in modern human psychology so I'm not sure why you would deny something that is so well recognized.

But you are correct, I over-stated the situation when I said "nearly everyone wants a Tesla". You see, those who CLAIM they don't want one can't be counted because "wanting" something is very personal and can only be determined by asking someone whether they "want" something. Someone afflicted with "sour grapes" will clearly say they DON'T want it.

But, yeah, deep down inside, nearly everyone wants one, at least of those who have experienced one first hand. Even if they say they don't. And "fart mode" brings a little levity to the situation. It's brilliant marketing.

Last edited:
I am with the OP on this. I don’t care for them either.

I am not sure these apps are there because Tesla programmers need an escape. I think they are there because Musk is silly and he wants it. And maybe because he is a marketing genius and the buzz from these apps sells more cars. Who knows? Whatever the reason, I have no use for them.
I like a little fun though I do think it’s a brilliant marketing strategy.