Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Game Controller Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried to pair my Bluetooth Xbox S controller to my 18 MS.
NO
LUCK.
didn’t recognize it at all.

Thoughts?
Do you have picture of the controller? The latest one (ver. 1914 - black attached) will not work. 1708 (white) seems to be ok. Never tested it but saw reviews.
From the description both support appropriate BT protocols (to have a backwards compartibility) but I didn't find the way (if even possible) to switch from BLE to classic BT.

Attachments

• Kontroler-MICROSOFT-bezprzewodowy-Xbox-Carbon-Black-v2-1.jpg
    Kontroler-MICROSOFT-bezprzewodowy-Xbox-Carbon-Black-v2-1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 20
Hey all. I asked some of the hardware guys at Xbox why their gamepads didn't seem to work in Teslas...They tried testing some gamepads out and confirmed that they saw late model Xbox gamepads working fine over USB connections but not pairing via BT.

They did, however, note that older (Xbox One-era, I think?) gamepads with older firmware seemed to sync properly over BT. I actually have all sorts of gamepads from the last two Xbox generations, and was able to confirm that some of my older gamepads sync up properly in my Tesla (2022 Plaid) whereas my Elites and other newer gamepads won't.

Without getting into the details, they think that Tesla might be white-listing some gamepad makes, if it's not an issue with Tesla supporting Bluetooth Low Energy modes...and we couldn't find a contact at Tesla to ask to find out more...

Hey all. I asked some of the hardware guys at Xbox why their gamepads didn't seem to work in Teslas...They tried testing some gamepads out and confirmed that they saw late model Xbox gamepads working fine over USB connections but not pairing via BT.

They did, however, note that older (Xbox One-era, I think?) gamepads with older firmware seemed to sync properly over BT. I actually have all sorts of gamepads from the last two Xbox generations, and was able to confirm that some of my older gamepads sync up properly in my Tesla (2022 Plaid) whereas my Elites and other newer gamepads won't.

Without getting into the details, they think that Tesla might be white-listing some gamepad makes, if it's not an issue with Tesla supporting Bluetooth Low Energy modes...and we couldn't find a contact at Tesla to ask to find out more...
Tesla states that they support BT Classic (not BLE) which is wierd as BLE is knows since ages. Could be HW4 will support.

• Helpful
Reactions: Murtaya
Tesla states that they support BT Classic (not BLE) which is wierd as BLE is knows since ages. Could be HW4 will support.
Do you have a link to the documentation where they say they don't support BLE (Or is it in the manual)?

The Xbox guys said they would "be shocked if Tesla didn't support BLE", but that would explain these issues. I'd love to forward the documentation over to them to let them know-

Reactions: zivac87
Do you have a link to the documentation where they say they don't support BLE (Or is it in the manual)?

The Xbox guys said they would "be shocked if Tesla didn't support BLE", but that would explain these issues. I'd love to forward the documentation over to them to let them know-
I don't have the tech docs but manual states --> LINK (Refer to section game controllers)
Apparently BLE is not BT Classic :) but I am shocked too. BLE was developed in 2009 (LINK). I am not 100% sure but, as per section Compatiblity, both Classic and BLE can run on the same BT HW. This gives me an idea that the issue is FW or they were using some deeply customized HW to reduce the cost. Second bottleneck is number of BT devices one can connect --> 2. So I have to disconnect phone (theory, didn't try it) in order to connect 2 wireless controllers :)

Reactions: Murtaya
It’s the 1403 Xbox 360 controller. But no idea if it will work. Can’t find info anywhere. Please help.
I dont think it will work. Check wiki for this model. AFAIK, there was no BT support in X360. It started to be used since later versions of XBOX

UPD: i have X360 and, apparently, I have controllers representing 1403 (just checked). It doesn’t have BT onboard so will not work directly. You can try to add USB BT adapter but I didn’t try as my main goal was not to install it to the glovebox (TMY). The goal was to connect controller directly to the car. BZW, latest controller (1914) can be connected same way using the „whistle” USB adapter (example attached). I red about it but didn’t try. Please research before you decide to use this shortcut. I will try to find used 1708 controller.

Attachments

• IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
is it possible to connect controller directly via cable did anyone test input lag of Dualsense? My phone bluetooth has huge lag when connected to car media. I wonder if controller is using different protocol.
It is possible. I was using 1914 connected to a USB port in glovebox (TMY ‘23). No lags, all is smooth. The reason I did it was exactly because I was not able to connect using BT. The only IMHO it is a hassle as I have PWD for the glovebox -> remove USB drive (dashcam) -> try to connect USB-A (assymetrical) from the driver’s seat and a reverse actions to continue drive. Cable hanging around. Maybe I am too picky :)

P.S. The only lag (or by design) I have is when I race Beach Buggy Racing 2. When I activate some tricks, car stop respond to steering wheel and I have to turn it aggressively once to restore normal operation.