Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Game Controller Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joey D

Apr 28, 2023
NJ
It looks like (particularly for the Model S 2021+ Refresh vehicles,) the state of game controller support is in flux. I decided to try and see how game controller support works and how robust it currently is.

My vehicle is a 2023 Model S (not plaid). Build Date of June 2023, hardware 4. Currently on software 2023.20.9. At some point (I'm not sure if it was with the rest of the 2021 refresh changes, HW4 changes....or at some other time), Tesla removed "data connections" from all USB ports except the USB-A port in the glove box. (The port that you connect a flash drive to for dash cam and sentry mode storage). This means that wired controller support is not really usable. (It would certainly not be convenient).

The manual (and in car screens) indicate that Tesla supports controllers that support "Bluetooth Classic", but that the best support is for PS5 controllers. My quick findings:

XBox One Controller
  • I tried pairing an XBox One controller (official Microsoft brand)...no luck. Bluetooth search does not find the device. (I can pair this controller with a PC without issue)
  • I tried connecting the XBox One controller to the data USB port in the glove box....also no luck.
PS5 Controller
  • A PS5 controller does pair as expected via bluetooth. I did not try and connect a "wired" PS5 controller to the USB Data port...I did not see the point.

One last comment on game controller support: Currently, a total of 2 Bluetooth connections are supported. This means a max of 2 controllers...and if you want to have 2 game controllers connected at the same time, you will need to disconnect your phone. May be relevant if you have 2 passengers playing games in the back seat.

Periodically (as I get new software updates), I will retest connectivity of the XBox controller and see if support ever gets added.

I have some spare Xbox One Controllers and wanted to pair to no avail. I gave up and got PS5 controllers even though I don't own a machine. Apparently you need Bluetooth Classic.

Someone pointed out to me that Xbox One Controllers use Bluetooth (LE) which is why it won't work. PS5 has Bluetooth Classic and LE.

When I was playing the driving game with 2 controllers, the car is smart in that it determines whether you are on the driver or passenger side as well!

Reactions: Joey D
Glad I checked the forums - almost bought an Xbox One controller today. I have a PS4 controller paired that works, but I noticed that on at least one game (Shadow of War) the game seems to think I'm using a Xbox One controller based on the buttons it sometimes instructs me to press. Easy enough to learn the equivalent ABXY positions on the PS4 controller and continue using that I suppose.

Some progress...on my 2023 Model S HW4 (firmware 2023.26.11), all front USB ports recognize my XBox one controller...so it could be used wired. It is still not, however, able to pair via bluetooth and be used wirelessly. Also, the back seat USB ports cannot be used for game controllers.

I have tried a number of options. So far the only thing I’ve been able to get to fully work is a PS5 controller hardwired into the center console, USB-C port. When I do that, it supports Gyro and rumble… in steam.
I can hook it up to the car via Bluetooth. However, Gyro does not seem to be supported.
I’m definitely a newbie to current gaming consoles.
My thoughts are the best way to accomplish connecting 2 game controllers would be to use USB/Bluetooth dongles
I have already tried this one with no luck (not visible in steam or beach buggy)
KenSera 8Bitdo Wireless Controller USB Adapter 2 Gamepad Receiver Mini USB Switch Converter Compatible with Switch/Switch OLED, Mac, Raspberry Pi, Playstation, PS5, PC Windows, with Black OTG Adapter https://a.co/d/dgREMJR

I’ve seen some posts, suggesting this item, but now reluctant without additional confirmation of compatibility.
MAYFLASH Magic NS 2 Wireless Bluetooth USB Adapter for Switch/Switch OLED, Steam Deck, Windows, Raspberry Pi, Compatible with Xbox Series X & S Bluetooth Controller, PS5 Controller and More https://a.co/d/94HzjOk

If anyone has any insights, please respond

Last edited:
Are there any controllers that my young daughter can use for Beach Buggy racing that has tilt/rotate so she can steer like the car's steering wheel without using the controller buttons? I got the Logitech F310s. It's large for her hands, and using the joystick controller for left/right is proving difficult. It also doesn't help that she literally moves the whole controller like a steering wheel but to the extreme! Like when non-bowlers go bowling and lean to the side they want the ball to go, after releasing it! :-D

Hi Folks;
I have a 2015 MCU1 S. I'm not a gamer but would like to try a game controller, if I can make one work. My user manual doesn't mention game controllers, but I tried a couple anyway without them appearing to work (with Asteroids). I don't need wireless, but it would be nice. I use a flash drive with music so I know the ports work.
What (cheap) controller will work and how do I tell my car to recognize it?

Thanx

Glad I checked the forums - almost bought an Xbox One controller today. I have a PS4 controller paired that works, but I noticed that on at least one game (Shadow of War) the game seems to think I'm using a Xbox One controller based on the buttons it sometimes instructs me to press. Easy enough to learn the equivalent ABXY positions on the PS4 controller and continue using that I suppose.
I did this mistake :( playing by wire. What I found on the web is that earlier versions work (rev 1797 or 1708) but mine (1914) not.