Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else still buying without seeing or driving a Model S?

Will you see/drive a Model S before taking delivery?

• Yes, have driven a Beta or Production

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Yes, have seen but not driven a Beta or Production

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • No, haven't seen or driven a Model S and likely won't before taking delivery

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • No reservation or Non-US reservation

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I would think that, by now, most people have had a chance to get out and see at least a Beta and attend one of the test drive events. While I've been in cities with Tesla dealerships in the past few months I just haven't had time to get out and actually lay my eyes on a Model S or test drive one. It's a bit odd b/c it's difficult for me to relate to exactly how big the car is compared to my Prius, or other cars I'm familiar with.

I suspect many of our European and other non-US buyers still haven't seen or driven, but who else in the US hasn't and why?

I got my finalize email before I decide to fly and see, and drive, a Model S for the first time. I am glad I did. I knew and expected about everything I saw. My dad said this to me "It is stupid to spend $60,000 on a car without actually seeing or driving it. Spend the $300 and fly to Miami." I did and finalized in the Dania Beach showroom. I would have finalized without it, but I really cemented my decision. I think it is worth a weekend trip.

It was a nicer quality interior than I expected.
I was not prepared for the silent instant torque ride. Way better than I imagined. I don't think all the reading in the world would have prepared me.
The car seemed smaller, when driving, than I was expecting.
The car looks better in person than in pictures, in my opinion.

P.S.: After my dad said $60k is when I was convinced to up it to the 85kWh pack.

We had been driven in the proof of concept car back in March 09 and been driven in a beta. We never drove a car until we got ours. Can't say I would have had it any other way!

I have to admit that I ordered the car online 4 years ago-or there abouts. After all that wait, I waived on getting in line to drive and alpha/beta model. I do not regret the wait. My jaw is dragging a bit on the ground both during and after my comute now a month into ownership. Without any advertising, I do understand that they sell the car via the test drive for those that already know they probably want one and have gone to the test drive step. I guess that I drank the koolaid earlier than most. In retrospect, knowing what I know now, I would have paid more even if it meant going to the bank for the extra. So there it is.

I happened to be in the Bay Area for a board meeting when the Get Amped tour started, so I did get to test drive the car. But I absolutely would have purchased one without a test ride. I mean, I wouldn't have purchased the first one off the line with no independent assessment, but the early reviews from magazines and the first owners were plenty for me. It's way nicer to drive than I need, so there was no go/no-go purchase information to obtain from the drive. The car just had to drive adequately; I was largely interested in finding a good long-range EV (both our cars are EVs, so one has to have really good range), and there were no other choices. It helps that I'm pretty average size, so I don't have to worry about fit issues.

Same thing with the Roadster - there was no store here at the time, and I would not have traveled to test drive one. I was ready to buy after reading some magazine articles and talking to a local owner that I ran in to. As it happens they had just hired a local person that had a test car; when I started asking questions, he brought it to my house and I drove it. But I had already made the purchase decision.

I've purchased plenty of previous cars that way, too. I bought a used 2003 Toyota RAV4-EV from Utah without ever having seen or driven one. I bought a used 2005 Honda Insight from Utah (just chance!) without ever having driven one. I bought a 2000 VW Golf TDI online without ever having driven one. But in all cases I was buying petroleum frugality, not driving experience. It's really nice that with EVs you can get both.

I happened to be in the Bay Area for a board meeting when the Get Amped tour started, so I did get to test drive the car. But I absolutely would have purchased one without a test ride. I mean, I wouldn't have purchased the first one off the line with no independent assessment, but the early reviews from magazines and the first owners were plenty for me. It's way nicer to drive than I need, so there was no go/no-go purchase information to obtain from the drive. The car just had to drive adequately; I was largely interested in finding a good long-range EV (both our cars are EVs, so one has to have really good range), and there were no other choices. It helps that I'm pretty average size, so I don't have to worry about fit issues.

Same thing with the Roadster - there was no store here at the time, and I would not have traveled to test drive one. I was ready to buy after reading some magazine articles and talking to a local owner that I ran in to. As it happens they had just hired a local person that had a test car; when I started asking questions, he brought it to my house and I drove it. But I had already made the purchase decision.

I've purchased plenty of previous cars that way, too. I bought a used 2003 Toyota RAV4-EV from Utah without ever having seen or driven one. I bought a used 2005 Honda Insight from Utah (just chance!) without ever having driven one. I bought a 2000 VW Golf TDI online without ever having driven one. But in all cases I was buying petroleum frugality, not driving experience. It's really nice that with EVs you can get both.

You want to buy a new 2013 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design....I'll even deliver it to you...its listed on Portland's craigslist =)

Gotta sell it so I can buy my Tesla

There should be a poll option for my situation which I suspect is not that uncommon...

Never driven or seen one. Reservation placed. Would not finalize before driving. This is probably especially common since it is hard to road test without a reservation. I am planning a trip to the Bay area in March and my number is 16250 - I will have plenty of time to decide and take a second trip if needed.