Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else think the new visualizations are too much?

Are the new visualizations too much?

• Yes

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 84.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all the new visualizations of cones, and trash cans, and traffic lights, etc... are a bit too much. Having a visualization of the cars around me and the lines on the road was nice but now it's just distracting. We have intersections here with 8-10 lights. It gets really confused trying to render them all so some appear and then disappear. Same with lane markings (like turn lane) they'll show, then not show, then show again flashing on/off randomly. And then the absolute worse is the cones. They use these plastic reflective poles along the center lane of the highway here and Tesla thinks these are cones. So when I'm on the freeway I just see a constant line of cones running down the left hand side. In real life they're white with like two reflective stripes on top, but on the Tesla screen they're bright orange cones and very distracting.

I know they're eventually going to use this info for FSD, but do they have to show it all on the screen?

Good point. I don't have HW3 yet so I haven't experienced what you are describing, but I have watched some videos and I can see how it would get to be a bit much. Hopefully they will allow you to turn those things on and off.

I guess, but even when they're actually cones they seem redundant. Bright orange cones are pretty easy to see out the windshield, don't really need to see them rendered on the screen too.

I wish there was an option to turn this off. I don't even have FSD so most of this info is useless to my car anyway. I do occasionally play with autopilot occasionally, but I don't trust it so it's rare. Seems to get really confused when you're in the right lane and the lane for the on ramp merges into the main lane. It just acts like it's one big lane and tries to center itself in it, which can be abrupt and scary considering the freeway I drive on has a giant wall just outside the right lane to block road noise from hitting the town.

I turned off the option and it no longer shows lights or road markings but it still shows cones.

It's just annoying. Like back in the v9 days when you'd be stopped at a light and the cars around you would dance. Not crucial to functionality, but annoying.

Had another annoying one the other other night. I was in a drive thru that is right next to a busy road. I was just in Hold, not Park. The visualization kept flipping between the overhead view it shows when you're parked and the behind the car view you get when you're driving or stopped at a light. It couldn't decide if I was actually stopped or just waiting at a light. And it would flip every time a car drove by on the street next to the restaurant. It looked like it was going crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I enjoy the visualizations. I don't find them distracting at all but then again I do play a lot of video games so I'm used to filtering and prioritizing visual cues from a screen.

My favorite one is when the little stop lights turn from red to green just a fraction of a second after the real stoplights change color.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I enjoy them as a reminder of why I did not purchase FSD.

If the screen is at all an accurate representation of what the car sees, FSD is still a long way out.

My car struggles to tell the difference between a yellow and red stop light, infrequently dances back and forth between the two. And it does not seem to have any idea which lights are signaling which lane or even which road (it frequently shows the cross traffic stop lights).

Last edited:
If the screen is at all an accurate representation of what the car sees, FSD is still a long way out.

What do you mean? Aren't we supposed to be turning our cars into robo-taxis next year? ;)

I will try to remain open-minded but the marketing of "Full Self Driving" is almost criminal. They should have broken up the individual "Driver Safety and Assistance" features instead. I see Hyundai is starting to advertise Smart Park (funny commercial).

They are marking these features as SmartSense, which has a lot of the same stuff included as standard equipment. This is why I think raising the price of FSD is silly, it should actually come down in price.
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 4.02.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 4.06.58 PM.png

They are marking these features as SmartSense, which has a lot of the same stuff included as standard equipment. This is why I think raising the price of FSD is silly, it should actually come down in price.

FWIW I just had a rental hyundai last weekend.

Their features might be "a lot of the same stuff" on paper- but in actual use they're pretty garbage compared to EAP/FSD.

This baffles me. Why are people looking in detail at and being distracted by the visualizations while driving? I'm looking out the window/mirrors and glancing at the speedo readout. The visualizations don't even register unless I get bored at a stoplight.
%swoozle,

‘totally concur. I’m looking out the windshield, mirrors etc. I quickly scan speed, or autopilot set speed etc, but spend a very small amount of time looking at the center display.

I think their intent is to not display them so the driver can be alerted of what is where, except perhaps cars around you. I certainly don’t believe they had any intention of it augmenting whatever you are able to see with your eyes.

I think their intent is to display what the car is seeing, so that it provides some degree of reassurance to the operator and even passengers that FSD considers many different environmental objects, etc in determining g it’s behavior To the car a white reflector is functionally no different than a cone. It’s used to mark a boundary etc, regardless of orange cone or white reflectorized strip.

My suggestion is spend more time looking out then window when you drive and less time fretting over graphics. I’m sure the car will be smart enough to discern what to do on our roadways; even if it shows a panel van the same, regardless of whether it’s UPS, FEDEX or Amazon vehicles

This is an interim step, I think eventually we will see visualizations that are close to real life. All those video games being released aren't just for playing, they have the potential to carry that visualization tech elsewhere in the car's UI too.

But for now, the visualizations will look half-baked, and sometimes busy on the eyes.