Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get the new Tesla Gateway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
We had a pre-installation inspection today for our Solarglass roof. We went over placements of the various boxes. One item was the Gateway and the guy doing the inspection said they will soon be installing the new smaller gateways. Has anyone installed one of these installed?

Thanks for the info. I am in the pipeline so I will be sure to ask for those. Do you have more info on them, like size, model?
The other question to ask is how many have been installed and reliability.;)

ps. when did you start the process?

Thanks for the info. I am in the pipeline so I will be sure to ask for those. Do you have more info on them, like size, model?
The other question to ask is how many have been installed and reliability.;)

ps. when did you start the process?

Not too much info on the new gateway. This article, Tesla Begins Rolling Out Its Sexy New "Mini-Powerwall" Backup Gateway 2 Hardware | CleanTechnica has some info. This youTube video also has some info,

Regarding the SolarGlass roof, we put our $100 deposit down Oct 31.

Reactions: charlesj
I dont know if anyone in the US has gotten that gateway 2 as of yet. When I was looking into it, it seemed that it was only being installed outside the US. I know that I got gateway 1 for my install last week, and I didnt even ask about gateway 2 because reading in this section seemed to indicate it was not ready for US yet for some reason.

edit, here is one thread, but a few more pop up when I search gateway 2 in this section:

Gateway 2

disregard, its gateway 1. was thinking of a different piece of equipment and for some reason cant find the edit for the post

No problem. I think it would be really easy to tell between the two, because what I see from the pictures, Gateway 2 looks like a mini powerwall. Gateway 1 is your standard grey box, which looks like a load center / breaker box.

This is from an install 2 weeks ago..Utility company inspection is today
PW2.jpg

Reactions: Ulmo
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 5.38.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 5.38.29 AM.png
If someone wants to see what tesla shows as the difference in appearance between the two, check out the "connecting to the tesla gateway" video. In the first 30 seconds, they give directions on connecting to gateway 1 and 2.

Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

You can see that gateway 2 looks like a mini powerwall, with the tesla lettering and everything. Gateway 1 is a grey box that looks like every other eletrical utility load center box.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and jboy210
View attachment 501253 View attachment 501254 If someone wants to see what tesla shows as the difference in appearance between the two, check out the "connecting to the tesla gateway" video. In the first 30 seconds, they give directions on connecting to gateway 1 and 2.

Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

You can see that gateway 2 looks like a mini powerwall, with the tesla lettering and everything. Gateway 1 is a grey box that looks like every other eletrical utility load center box.

This UK site has a nice side by side photo of a PW2 next to a GW2. I love the look of Gateway 2 naturally as it looks like the beautifully designed PW. We are in the process of working out details for an install now and really would like this instead of the ugly, heavier and larger GW1 that doesn't support a LTE/4G connection. If it doesn't come out until later in the year (no official word), we are trying to weigh what do to as far as install time. Apart from the aesthetics and other factors would be when 3G will be phased out?

Tesla Gateway 2 - Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

Last edited:
We had a pre-installation inspection today for our Solarglass roof. We went over placements of the various boxes. One item was the Gateway and the guy doing the inspection said they will soon be installing the new smaller gateways. Has anyone installed one of these installed?

My understanding is that the Gateway2 is not designed for the U.S. It is designed for 3-phase electric or 240v single phase which neither of these are standard U.S. homes. This is again only from what I have read. I do prefer the looks of the Gateway2.... I actually had been thinking of trying to make my Gateway1 look like the GW2... below is a pic of the PowerWall2 next to GateWay2.
Tesla-Powerwall-2-Gateway-e1558098544591.png

• Informative
Reactions: CSFTN
This UK site has a nice side by side photo of a PW2 next to a GW2. I love the look of Gateway 2 naturally as it looks like the beautifully designed PW. We are in the process of working out details for an install now and really would like this instead of the ugly, heavier and larger GW1 that doesn't support a LTE/4G connection. If it doesn't come out until later in the year (no official word), we are trying to weigh what do to as far as install time. Apart from the aesthetics and other factors would be when 3G will be phased out?

Tesla Gateway 2 - Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

The thing is, it (gateway 1) doesnt look nearly as out of place as you think it would, because its next to other grey boxes. Its normally close to the new Load Center (breaker box) they put in, which is a grey box. Also, the cellular connection is a backup connection for almost everyone. You will connect the gateway to your home internet via either wireless, wired, or both. The gateway will use the "strongest" is what the installer said, but Its likely also the "cheapest for tesla" so I would imagine it prioritizes wired, then wireless internet, then if BOTH of those are out, THEN cellular.

The gateway 1 being a grey box next to the other grey box(es) doesnt look out of place at all, IMO so while I get the asthetics, I dont think it would be something I would hesitate to install over. You definitely want to be installed before the PSPS' start back up, for example.. and nothing I have seen about gateway 2 says to hesitate, other than its appearance.