Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone gone from 2019/20 Performance to 2022 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of trading in my 2020 Performance for a 2022 Performance or possibly a LR, anyone done the same? Interested to see if they found any significant improvements in range and efficiency with the bigger battery and heat pump. Also interested if there is any improvement in cabin noise and comfort (I find mine a bit noisy with the frameless windows when there is strong winds). Anyone know if there are any other improvements in the pipeline worth waiting for?

My wife also has a 2020 M3P, so we would also be interested in the answer to this question.

A friend took delivery of the new MY LR a few days ago and took me for a drive yesterday. I noticed the interior cabin sound is much improved (i.e. reduced in the MY)...so I'm hopeful this may also apply to the 2022 M3P. What did surprise me was the ride in that MY was really quite firm...nearly as firm as our M3P yet it was the standard wheels on it.

I guess the sensible thing to do would be to book a test drive in a 2022 M3P - coming from the 2020 M3P you will immediately notice any differences.

Reactions: seadog
The only Tesla branch in our area has no Performance models to test drive but I am getting to try a LR which may help give me an idea but it's likely to be quieter anyway due to the smaller wheels causing less road noise. I also noticed that there is no longer mention of the sports suspension on the Performance configurator so unsure if it still has different suspension or if they are all the same now?

No two cars are the same in terms of road noise. That being said the fact the newer cars have dual pane windows and are made in China which has been established as being much more consistent should mean that - in theory at least - you’d have a higher probability of lower noise in the newer car I’d think.

The windows are still frameless, though, and there’s a lot of adjustment in them so I wouldn’t be making a ~£10k bet purely on that.

The most recent and any ordered now M3P aren’t lowered and don’t have “sports suspension” anymore. Tesla quietly removed that from the specs.

I wouldn’t be making a ~£10k bet purely on that.
Still looks fairly decent value to change considering, 2 years newer car and 2 years more warranty, new tyres all round, larger battery, heat pump, power tailgate, no chrome (personal preference but I prefer the black), dual glass, new processor, heated steering wheel, matrix headlights.

Last edited:
Don't think my answer will be any help ...

I had a performance MS initially. Took my mates out to the main road and did a launch. That was fun, and they were suitably impressed, but they'd all come round for a look-see within a couple of months.

After that I rarely used performance. Made no difference tootling along the motorway. If I had passengers and I jumped out onto a roundabout into a narrow gap between vehicles "because I could" any passenger who was not watching and paying attention found it very uncomfortable. So when I replaced it I got a bog standard one - 3.4s 0-60 (current model now 3.1s), not sure I actually need 2.4s (now 1.99s with Plaid) ...

I have only drive my own MSP; I've driven a number of loan-vehicles plain-MS and my replacement MS Raven LR. The MSP put the power down floorlessly. Never any drama. Even in the wet, at a roundabout with a "sharp-ish" left first exit onto sliproad ramp - "just floor it"

Can't say the same for the non-P. They all scrabble a bit. I've also not driven M3P, don't know if that is as well sorted as the MSP was. I don't know why the non-P MS isn't as good; perhaps the bigger motor doing "push" makes the difference?

My perception is that the P-boost is largely in the 0-30 range, so little improvement in overtaking range.

From memory the 0-60 spec for my MS Ravel LR is 3.4, the M3 LR 4.2s and the MY LR 4.8s. I have a 200M straight near here, with suitable Start / End markers. Approach at 40MPH on cruise and then floor-it at first marker:

The MS and M3 both get to exactly 90 and the MY to 86 (sadly I never did the test on my old MSP)

I haven't even bothered with acceleration upgrade on either the previous M3 nor the current MY

But that's just me of course.

Main reason I'm looking at another Performance is the availability, looks like you can get one May 22 compared to February 23 for a LR with 18" wheels. I don't need and rarely use the performance and although it is nice to have I know a LR would be plenty fast enough and probable better suited to me. But I'm a sucker for the looks of the 20" wheels although don't want the car to suffer too much road noise.

I’m sceptical about the delivery projections being into next year to be honest. What are Tesla expecting to deliver in Q2-4 from China if not Model 3s? It can’t all be Ys.

I personally think it’s a bit of a sales tactic.