Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had a M3 who's screen will not turn at all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes.
Failed 'car computer' aka MCU2 - it was actually a 'comms gateway' that wouldn't boot, or at least, not in a timely way.

Computer replaced and thankfully original could be occasionally rebooted so could be backed up so that was transferred to new computer so we lost nothing - settings, trip etc.

For us, we lost car overnight before it was able to be recovered (second attempt) then 48 hours at service centre. Other have not been so lucky and some stories of not being able to source a new computer for many weeks.

Not had that, but FWIW the screen is a separate computer to the car computer, so it sounds like the car computer is fine but screen is not. Hopefully the ranger will figure out why the media unit isn't working. Certainly not safe to drive without a visible speedo.

I had a new car computer last year as it had a fault measuring it's temperature which caused lots of issues when it though it was overheating. Not relevant to your problem though.

Reactions: boombap
I think it was youtube creator Frugal Tesla Guy who broke the connector on his display relating to a tilting screen "upgrade" he did in his Model 3 right before a road trip vacation. He couldn't get it repaired before the trip. He and his family was able to survive and do stuff like navigate and control the climate control using ABRP and the Tesla app on tablets and phones in the car as they were driving. :) It depends on the failure, of course, but it is amazing how you get the idea that the display *is* the car and the world will end of the display is blank. I have had it reboot and have explicitly rebooted it while driving and other than it being dark the car functionality was unaffected.