Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spigen screen protector crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All
I fitted a Spigen matte screen protector within a week of getting my 2021 M3. A couple of months later I noticed a small flaw on the bottom edge where it looked as though it had been caught when lifting a phone from the wireless charger.
About a week later, this turned into a vertical crack across the entire screen.
My assumption was that the screen itself had cracked but when a Tesla ranger was looking yesterday, as part of a different service visit, he mentioned that the screen would likely not be working if it were cracked and that you also would be unlikely to be able to feel the crack through the tempered glass protector.
Anyone else had a similar issue with the protector? Any thoughts on whether to do anything about it or just leave well alone since it is hard to see and isn’t impacting screen performance.

I removed our screen protector as first attempt it had a tiny dust spot at centre of screen. On that occasion it had literally just been fitted, but as they do not use cured glue I don’t see that time would make any difference. After removing the dust spot I refitted the same protector. Its still perfect 4+ years later.

Basically lifted one corner (with fingernail) then once got started the whole protector could then slowly be slightly lifted diagonally away from the screen.

Reactions: mick4545
How easy is it remove, do you have to get a hair dryer to it.
Have you ever fitted a tempered glass screen protector to your mobile phone? It's exactly the same as that except on a larger scale. Removal is simple once you have it lifted at one corner slightly, the glue is not that strong and the protector will come off easily. Be careful near the cracked section though as the protector may snap.

Reactions: mick4545
Why not just peel it off and replace with a new one? That’s sort of the point of a screen protector.
This.

That’s the whole point of a screen protector. It is sacrificial and (hopefully) absorbs the damage that would otherwise impact the screen. Peel it off, apply a new one (or not), problem solved.

I fitted one early into ownership of my car, belts and braces even though it has been argued that unlike a phone your screen doesn’t move so why does it need a protector… I’ve caught my phone and ring on it a couple of times so it’s been a worthwhile investment.:)