Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have their screen go black and wont reset...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If so, what was the outcome? No reset works, even after disconnecting the battery. Car will operate via the start icon in the app. Technician coming tomorrow but just wondering if anyone else been in this situation? It happened after I pressed the power down button on the screen...

Have you tried removing any USB storage device that you are using for sentry mode? What about disconnecting any third party devices (like additional screens) that you have installed, if you have any installed like you mentioned you do in another thread?

2019 M3 DM: Last night I updated to 2023.7.10 with FSD 11.4.2. Went for a few drives. All good.

today:
I was headed back from lunch.. got in car and pulled out of restaurant parking lot.
The screen went black. Music was playing and GPS was giving direction. Waited a few minutes but it did not come back on.

Did a soft reboot (hold 2 scrolls) .. 2 times.. The music and GPS direction stopped and came back on.
Screen stayed black.

Pulled into parking lot.. did a soft reboot again. No change.
Did a full reboot (Hold break and 2 scrolls). No change.
Music and GPS direction came back. Screen still black.

Drove back to office and parked the car.
The car works with everything. but the screen is blacked out.

started a mobile service request. Mileage 49,963!!!!!!! warranty is about to end!!!

Tesla Service has been requested via mobile app.
Scheduled for June 6th.

only connect 3rd party was a flash drive for sentry mode.
I pulled it ... tried a reboot. No help.. still black screen.

Question...
Since it has 49,963 miles... should I go ahead and purchase the extended warranty? $1,800.
before it hits 50k miles

Tesla Service has been requested via mobile app.
Scheduled for June 6th.

only connect 3rd party was a flash drive for sentry mode.
I pulled it ... tried a reboot. No help.. still black screen.

Question...
Since it has 49,963 miles... should I go ahead and purchase the extended warranty? $1,800.
before it hits 50k miles

ok .. Tesla originally scheduled a mobile service, but they changed it to a service center.
I live only 14 miles from the center.

I dropped it off and it was done in 1 day.
Tesla said it was a coax cable that had a short.. the short also fried the screen.
So they replaced both parts.

I was lucky it happened within warranty.. by 37 miles!!!!
he said it would have cost:
the diagnostics = $250
cable = $90
screen = $300
with labor it would have totaled about $2100.