TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone Have partial hood and partial fender PPF?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by RV8R, Jul 16, 2018.

1. RV8R

RV8R Member

I'm pricing out PPF for my MS coming soon, and find wide price difference between full front and partial front coverage. The vendor with the partial says you'll never see the line, and you get the impact areas covered. Any experience/feedback?

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

You will see the line overtime if not sealed with a ceramic or some coating as dirt will accumulate ...what is price differential ?

3. RV8R

RV8R Member

The difference is $600 between pastoral and full PPF.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Big diff ...the S hood is not as flat so can get some chips closer to the windshield ..normally I have seen quoted for full front 1200-1800

5. docrice

docrice Member

I went with just full front at first, but after Tesla Service had their hands all over the car and added their "cosmetic enhancements," I got the rest wrapped. I also don't trust shopping carts or anything else in the parking lots. Even if you park on the deserted far end of the lot, The Force will guide them to you.

• Funny x 2
  6. Tozz

Tozz Active Member

i'm no expert, but from what I've heard the color of the film will become a little yellowish after time (and exposure to sunlight). Then you might start to see a difference between the film and the non covered parts. An even discoloration might be better in such a case.

Also, my cars were usually damaged more on the sides than the hood. But in The Netherlands here we have roads in good quality, so that might save me a few dents in the hood from loose rocks.

7. RV8R

RV8R Member

Thanks for the input. I've decided that for the long term ownership the full coverage will serve me best, regardless the cost!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

Get the full done so you don't see the seam. And make sure you use film that shows no orange peel. My xpel on my bmw compared to Clearguard on my MX, MS, and M3 are so much better. The finish is so much smoother than Xpel.

• Informative x 1
  9. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

My Roadster and wife's S and X had partial.
    My S had none.
    Our new 3 has full.

Not having film at all stinks - my S hood is fairly pitted. The partial wraps really seem to do the job, I only remember one pit past the film.

The patrial wrap was pretty noticable on my wife's Sig Red S. But not usually noticed unless you were looking for it on my yellow Roadster and her silver X.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

I had it on my Ford Fusion Energi. You saw the line all the time save for freshly cleaned, but honestly didn't bother me. I have full coverage on my Model S, it's worth the extra coverage... not really for rocks, but car doors, shopping carts, kids, people moving between you car and the one next to it... etc.