Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have their delivery delayed due to car issues that need to be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a notice on Friday saying I can pick up my car earlier than expected on March 18 (Monday) instead of March 19 (Tuesday) and I said I accepted the offer.

I got a call from my service center that the pick up date has been pushed back to the 19th (Tuesday) because there was an issue during the detailing and inspection regarding one of the doors wasn't properly opening/closing due to an alignment issue. They said it will be fixed on Monday and ready on Tuesday.

Is this normal to have issues to fix upon delivery? I told the shop that is wrapping my car that I will be dropping it off on Tuesday because of the above and they laughed and said oh that's typical Tesla, so I imagine this must be a pretty normal thing and I shouldn't be concerned.

I wish Tesla Rocklin, CA would have done that for me. I pointed out a badly misaligned frunk and they told me if it was sent to them for delivery, it met all of Tesla's delivery specs. If I ever do get another Tesla, I will not take delivery at Rocklin.

Another complaint for Rocklin. Car had paint issues and the rear lights were filled with water/condensation!! I turned down home delivery and instead chose to drive 45 min to Rocklin to inspect car prior to doing the paperwork. Good thing I did. Now in a holding pattern and waiting on a resolution. Their excuse was oh this car is from Fremont and we only got it this morning. Still, these issues should have been obvious during the detailing/prep stage and I should have never been called to take delivery of it.

To expand on how bad Rocklin was, I pointed out several paint defects along with the misaligned frunk. This is for a car the delivery advisor said was perfect and ready to go. Took 2.5 months for an appointment at Tesla approved body shop. The cost to fix the paint issues and align frunk and trim was about $3500.

The delivery coordinators take a quick glance at the cars. They don’t pay that much attention to the details. I showed up to pick up a car two weeks ago and the front door trim was higher than the rear door trim due to a large gap between the two doors. When I pointed it out they apologized. They said they would have to send it back to Fremont to see if it could be fixed. I ended up rejecting the car and placing an order for a new one, along with a new two week lead time. I’m sure they will just try to sell it to someone else without fixing it.

Reactions: jonotastic
More confusion and delays now...

I got a call today saying the problem with the door is more than expected and the car needs to be shipped back to California to be fixed. They said they paired me up with another car with the same specs and would get it by the end of the week. They contacted me again saying that car is actually still in California, so they are now looking for other cars... I guess I’m back at square one again? I don’t know.

I had my delivery delayed by about a week after the Delivery Center discovered a paint bubble shortly after I signed my paperwork. Even post delivery, there were numerous paint defects all over the car which took about 10 weeks to get resolved.

Once I thought I was in the clear, turns out the Tesla Approved Body Shop that completed the paint repairs scratched up 3 of my windows and forgot to plug-in 2 ultrasonic sensors. I went to a SC to get the sensors plugged back in last week while also getting a new tire for one that popped due to a LA pothole. However, while the punctured tire and associated rim were in possession of the tow company / SC, somehow my rim ended up getting scratched up and cosmetically damaged. Mobile was sent to touch up the cosmetic damage on the rim as best they could, but still now waiting on having the windows replaced....

So all in all, I'd say it's better to have the issues fixed before taking delivery as you could always reject the VIN and get another one assigned if the repairs are not satisfactory