Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Having Consistent Problem With Cameras After 2019.12 And Worse With 2019.20?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am having a constant experience related with road sign and car detection around the car. During driving or getting in the car, all of my cameras around the car is stops working for a while or even does not come back until the next day. These are started for 2019.12.X update and it gets even worse after 2019.20.X. The cameras also does not work sometimes when I back up the car.

When cameras are out the car also runs the headlights. I assume the automatic lights are depended on cameras rather than light sensor.

I have a service appointment to see if there is a hardware issue or just software problems.

I just checked my USB drive today and things looked pretty good. Some files pre-2019.20.2.1. I will still occasionally get a few left repeater issues, and noticed a few green corruption videos but for the most part I think an improvement over time for me.

OP the issue you reported with no cameras for a period of time is not normal. You're losing connectivity somewhere along the line. Is your USB drive firmly in place? Might take it out and plug it into the second location for the USB connectors.

BTW I just noticed you mentioned the headlights were on. So here's another thought. There is a problem people have been having (several threads on this) where their AP will go out, headlights will be on during the day, and some were having issues with wipers. My husband had his AP go out and turning off Sentry Mode on the main screen and having the car parked for a short period fixed his issue. He was able to turn Sentry Mode back on and everything still worked as intended.

Last edited:
I just checked my USB drive today and things looked pretty good. Some files pre-2019.20.2.1. I will still occasionally get a few left repeater issues, and noticed a few green corruption videos but for the most part I think an improvement over time for me.

OP the issue you reported with no cameras for a period of time is not normal. You're losing connectivity somewhere along the line. Is your USB drive firmly in place? Might take it out and plug it into the second location for the USB connectors.

BTW I just noticed you mentioned the headlights were on. So here's another thought. There is a problem people have been having (several threads on this) where their AP will go out, headlights will be on during the day, and some were having issues with wipers. My husband had his AP go out and turning off Sentry Mode on the main screen and having the car parked for a short period fixed his issue. He was able to turn Sentry Mode back on and everything still worked as intended.

My car does not have any AP option but from my experience its totally related with AP computer since all the cameras all hooked up to it. It stops detecting the lane marks and all the cars and objects around. I do believe its a different scenario that is going on unrelated with sentry mode. I did parked the car, restarted several times, disabled the sentry but none of them worked until the next day car resolved itself while its parked. This happened at least 3 times in a week after the last update. It sounds similar what your husband is experiencing. It might be a good idea to schedule an appointment as well for your car.

Got a reply from service this morning and they said everything is fine. They examined the logs of the car and they concluded that the car was rebooting itself. Here is the official response from my invoice.

Performed autodiag on the DAS system and did not find any concerning issues. Reviewed vehicle system logs and
periscope for the timestamps provided and found that the DAS ECU was in a safe rebooting state, which caused the dash
recording to stop. No hardware or concerning issues with the DAS ECU found.

Could someone elaborate whatever is the DAS ECU?

Good afternoon. After reading your post I realized that I am experiencing the same problems as you are. Not sure if you've found a fix to it yet, but my problems began Monday July 15th.
Starting with my autopilot/cruise control not working, unable to see the vehicles or Lanes around me.
Headlights on all day long regardless of day or night
Sentry mode not working due to error.
All of the above alone point to problems with the cameras. The only camera functioning properly is the rear camera.
I also noticed that the passenger side vanity mirror light is not working properly. The light to the left of the mirror doesn't turn on and the one on the right if the mirror is dimly lit when opening up the mirror cover.

I've trying toggling on and off autopilot
I've tried turning off sentry mode - just as one YouTuber had suggested, to no avail.
I have even rebooted the system 3 or 4 times.
I have a service appointment August 9. But that's more then 2 weeks away.
I'm running version 2019.20.4.4 edb5360

Any suggestions?

Good afternoon. After reading your post I realized that I am experiencing the same problems as you are. Not sure if you've found a fix to it yet, but my problems began Monday July 15th.
Starting with my autopilot/cruise control not working, unable to see the vehicles or Lanes around me.
Headlights on all day long regardless of day or night
Sentry mode not working due to error.
All of the above alone point to problems with the cameras. The only camera functioning properly is the rear camera.
I also noticed that the passenger side vanity mirror light is not working properly. The light to the left of the mirror doesn't turn on and the one on the right if the mirror is dimly lit when opening up the mirror cover.

I've trying toggling on and off autopilot
I've tried turning off sentry mode - just as one YouTuber had suggested, to no avail.
I have even rebooted the system 3 or 4 times.
I have a service appointment August 9. But that's more then 2 weeks away.
I'm running version 2019.20.4.4 edb5360

Any suggestions?

Did you turn off Sentry, unplug your usb device and then turn off the car by leaving it for a period of time? Not just toggling sentry setting. Of the people reporting these same issues on a number of threads over the past few months both on the Model 3 and the Model S (I don't read the Model X forum generally but sure they are there too), this has worked for them. Most people posting still don't think this is a problem with the cameras themselves but the software. Try the above and report back.

As for the light issues at your mirror area, that definitely is a different issue and sounds like Service needs to look into.

Last edited: