Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Near Hayward, CA with Tesla Roadster Charger Connector? ;)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone! I had my buddy buy me a Roadster from the Manheim in Hayward and unfortunately it didnt come with a charger :( The car has like 5 miles remaining on range and really want to get this thing out on the road. If anybody can help a brotha out let me know!

I do have a Model S Connector but Im guessing that wont work or even work as a base?

Thanks in Advance

Whatever you do, do it fast because the Roadster will not shut down the way the Model S does to prevent destroying your battery. You need to pull the service disconnect (search the forums for how to do this) which will stop all vampire drain on your battery. That will give you a few extra days to find a solution. There are lots of people in and around LA who can loan you a CAN SR adapter if you don't want to buy one. They use one at the Torrance Service Center.

Whatever you do, do it fast because the Roadster will not shut down the way the Model S does to prevent destroying your battery. You need to pull the service disconnect (search the forums for how to do this) which will stop all vampire drain on your battery. That will give you a few extra days to find a solution. There are lots of people in and around LA who can loan you a CAN SR adapter if you don't want to buy one. They use one at the Torrance Service Center.

Or the Bay Area, OP (@LP925) is up North in Dublin, CA and not around Southern California.

There is a Tesla Service Center in Dublin:

Dublin-Amador Plaza
6701 Amador Plaza RoadDublin, CA 94568
Sales & Service: (925) 361-1173
Roadside Assistance: (877) 798-3752

Did you try contacting them to see if they have any Roadster charging equipment you can buy?

Is the car physically stranded in Hayward right now?
I may be in the area on Sunday and may have access to adapters.
If you haven't found anything by Saturday, try PM'ing me.

There is a Tesla Service Center in Dublin:

Dublin-Amador Plaza
6701 Amador Plaza RoadDublin, CA 94568
Sales & Service: (925) 361-1173
Roadside Assistance: (877) 798-3752

Did you try contacting them to see if they have any Roadster charging equipment you can buy?

Is the car physically stranded in Hayward right now?
I may be in the area on Sunday and may have access to adapters.
If you haven't found anything by Saturday, try PM'ing me.

I called them and they pretty much shut me down and referred me to fremont. Fremont said their charger is not available due to construction.

The car is a manheim, they are open 24/7 and they have a Nova Branded Charging station which is used for Fiats and Leafs. I think i can use their charger if i have the adapter. I honestly just want to charge it for a hour max just so i have enough to park it home.

Sent you a PM.
Hi Everyone! I had my buddy buy me a Roadster from the Manheim in Hayward and unfortunately it didnt come with a charger :( The car has like 5 miles remaining on range and really want to get this thing out on the road. If anybody can help a brotha out let me know!

I do have a Model S Connector but Im guessing that wont work or even work as a base?

Thanks in Advance

By the way, if you are at the Dublin service center, they have four HPWC charging ports, two for the "sales" folks, two for service. The sales ones are immediately to the right of the super charging stalls, just outside the main door. If you ask nicely, I have found the sales folks are very supportive of Roadsters charging there. You will, of course, need HCSharp's CAN-SR adapter. Note that the one on the left seems to have some sort of problem - kept faulting on me last weekend. The sales guy I talked to acknowledged that it seems to be flakey, needing to be wiggled a bit. The one on the right worked perfectly. 70 amps, 200 volts. The two service chargers appear to only supply 40 amps, but are in the shade at the service entrance. Again, ask before use; they aren't intended for general public charging.

Lance how long did it take you to charge up the first Roadster we plugged in?

Did it ever show more than 30A when charging?

Look under the passenger seat and see if the original factory owner's guide is there. Read, and memorize. There will be a quiz. ;)

The car showed an Ideal Miles range in the teens. Pretty low, but I think the battery will be okay.

Keep reading the TMC Roadster forums and learning about the extraordinary and special cars we own. Give your new baby(s) a thorough cleaning inside and out and inspect it carefully before deciding on your next steps. Learn about how to download the logs and check the battery CAC. That is the most important single piece of data to know.

Post what you find out. And photos of course! :D

By the way, if you are at the Dublin service center, they have four HPWC charging ports, two for the "sales" folks, two for service. The sales ones are immediately to the right of the super charging stalls, just outside the main door. If you ask nicely, I have found the sales folks are very supportive of Roadsters charging there. You will, of course, need HCSharp's CAN-SR adapter. Note that the one on the left seems to have some sort of problem - kept faulting on me last weekend. The sales guy I talked to acknowledged that it seems to be flakey, needing to be wiggled a bit. The one on the right worked perfectly. 70 amps, 200 volts. The two service chargers appear to only supply 40 amps, but are in the shade at the service entrance. Again, ask before use; they aren't intended for general public charging.

Thanks for the helpful info! For the 40amp chargers do i still need a connector or CAN for it to work on the roadster?

Did it ever show more than 30A when charging?

Look under the passenger seat and see if the original factory owner's guide is there. Read, and memorize. There will be a quiz. ;)

The car showed an Ideal Miles range in the teens. Pretty low, but I think the battery will be okay.

Keep reading the TMC Roadster forums and learning about the extraordinary and special cars we own. Give your new baby(s) a thorough cleaning inside and out and inspect it carefully before deciding on your next steps. Learn about how to download the logs and check the battery CAC. That is the most important single piece of data to know.

Post what you find out. And photos of course! :D

The first one took about 5.5 Hours. Yeah if the battery is in the teens its a bit rough to sleep at night knowing its at that yard lol I'm gonna need to fix the radio/nav not working. Hoping i can sell one of them soon and keep the other!

You were a great help and i truly appreciate it!

Thanks for the helpful info! For the 40amp chargers do i still need a connector or CAN for it to work on the roadster?

Yes, you will still want "The CAN".

Tesla got rid of nearly all charging stations with native Roadster plug ends and put in the newer Model S type instead. So having some kind of adapter will come in handy repeatedly.
Having both types of CANs (For Tesla Model S/X/3 plug, and J1772 plug) will let you charge most places that matter.
The CAN - Roadster to J1772 or Model S/X connector

You may want to find the 120V trickle charge cables as well in case you are only able to find a typical outlet, although charging that way is very slow.
Tesla — Spare Connector - Available in North America Only

Also, instead of the J1772 version of the CAN, Tesla made a cable (although less elegant than the CAN-Jr):
Tesla — Roadster J1772 Mobile Connector

There are also Roadster UMCs with various adapter cables for 240V charging (NEMA14-50 at campgrounds), dryer outlets, etc.
Tesla — Roadster Universal Mobile Connector - Available in North America Only

Last edited:
Hoping i can sell one of them soon and keep the other!
Wait... this is a tale of TWO Roadsters?!
pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_poster-rafce5a91cfbe4e509401c9434d861ab7_tvw_8byvr_540.jpg