Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Does Wall Connector Installation Take? I'm WFH, Need a General Estimate for How Long Power Will Be Out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everybody,

I think I'm going to go in and buy a Model 3LR, assuming I can get it in time before the tax credit potentially goes away. Anywho, I'm wondering how long a Wall Connector installation would take. It's not so much the amount of time that the overall process takes that matters for me but more so the amount of time that the electricity would be out. Are we talking a matter of half a few mins/half an hour or are we talking multiple hours of the power being out? I can utilize my phone's hotspot but where I live, that connection is insanely spotty and often isn't consistent enough and I need a reliable WiFi connection which obviously can't happen if there's no electricity.

I understand everyone's situation may be different depending on how much work is needed but in my scenario, I'd like to install it right next to the panel so I imagine that will reduce the amount of labor/parts/time required. What was everyone's installation time like here and more so, how long was your electricity really out for during the process?

In general, is the Wall Connector recommended or is a NEMA 14-50 the recommended go to here? I'm all about cost efficiency so I'm definitely trying to gather as many opinions/advice as possible. Appreciate everyone's help here!

Definitely wall connector, and the actual power-out connection time should be measured in minutes. If you really want, I'm sure that some electricians would do it with no power-off at all. Its a little harder to do that because the wires involved are super stiff.

Also, unrelated to this work, consider getting even a cheap UPS to keep your cable modem and access point running. They take very little power and can run for hours.

Definitely wall connector, and the actual power-out connection time should be measured in minutes. If you really want, I'm sure that some electricians would do it with no power-off at all. Its a little harder to do that because the wires involved are super stiff.

Also, unrelated to this work, consider getting even a cheap UPS to keep your cable modem and access point running. They take very little power and can run for hours.
Noted! My main concern was the power being out for a prolonged period of time. If I can aim to get it done during lunch time, I think that would be perfect! Valid point about the UPS, thanks for the suggestion!

A good electrician shouldn’t need to turn off the power at all for most installs (I don’t know the details of your panel obviously). If you are going to install an EVSE (recommended, and I recommend buying the $425 Tesla one), then ask the electrician to install a 60 amp breaker to get the full use out of it. Easiest way to install that is via a short conduit between the panel and the EVSE and pulling 6 gauge wire between them.

A good electrician shouldn’t need to turn off the power at all for most installs (I don’t know the details of your panel obviously). If you are going to install an EVSE (recommended, and I recommend buying the $425 Tesla one), then ask the electrician to install a 60 amp breaker to get the full use out of it. Easiest way to install that is via a short conduit between the panel and the EVSE and pulling 6 gauge wire between them.
Definitely going with a Tesla Wall Connector just for peace of mind! Thank you for the reply, appreciate it.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
That makes sense to me! How long was your install time overall? Is this less than an hour type of thing?
For the installation you've described if it takes more than an hour overall I'd be surprised. This assumes you have space in the panel for the breaker and the mounting location is right next to the panel and has appropriate materials to mount to. If the installer has to get out a concrete drill or put in a plywood panel to mount the HPWC to it might take a little longer.

Reactions: GoHawks29
For the installation you've described if it takes more than an hour overall I'd be surprised. This assumes you have space in the panel for the breaker and the mounting location is right next to the panel and has appropriate materials to mount to. If the installer has to get out a concrete drill or put in a plywood panel to mount the HPWC to it might take a little longer.
Panel has plenty of room for additional breakers. I believe there's some stud behind the drywall next to the panel on either side so should be all good on that front. Appreciate the responses, trying to save as much money as possible here since I've heard these installations can get super pricy!

Hi Everybody,

I think I'm going to go in and buy a Model 3LR, assuming I can get it in time before the tax credit potentially goes away. Anywho, I'm wondering how long a Wall Connector installation would take. It's not so much the amount of time that the overall process takes that matters for me but more so the amount of time that the electricity would be out. Are we talking a matter of half a few mins/half an hour or are we talking multiple hours of the power being out? I can utilize my phone's hotspot but where I live, that connection is insanely spotty and often isn't consistent enough and I need a reliable WiFi connection which obviously can't happen if there's no electricity.

I understand everyone's situation may be different depending on how much work is needed but in my scenario, I'd like to install it right next to the panel so I imagine that will reduce the amount of labor/parts/time required. What was everyone's installation time like here and more so, how long was your electricity really out for during the process?

In general, is the Wall Connector recommended or is a NEMA 14-50 the recommended go to here? I'm all about cost efficiency so I'm definitely trying to gather as many opinions/advice as possible. Appreciate everyone's help here!
If you want to be able to charge from 0 to 100% in ~8 hours then you need a NEMA 14-50 outlet and/or a Tesla Wall Charger. If you can get by with only a ~50% charge every night, then you could add a NEMA 6-20 outlet and an off brand J772 EVSC and a J1772 to Tesla adapter, which is what I did:

We never had to turn off the power.

Main shouldn't need to be turned off if you have space in the panel for the breaker.

That said, I turned off my main breaker when I installed my wall connector, and it was all of about 15 minutes. First time using 6 ga wire and all that, so I figured a little caution was warranted.

Wiring into the breaker box: 1/2 beer job.
Wiring into wall connector: 1/2 beer job.
Running wire from breaker to wall connector: depends greatly.