Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ordered S90D over S100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that unlimited charging is gone (except for orders prior to 1/1/2017), I am scratching my head if anyone choose S90D.

With only 3K difference in price, and about 17Kwh more usable battery, it is beyond me why Tesla would even sell S90D option.

Still a wonder how 60 to 75 is 7K price upgrade when the juice is only upgraded 10.2Kwh.

Tesla Logic is quite interesting...

I wonder if any TMC members who have recently bought 90D just to save 3K.

I can tell you why we decided to keep our ordered S90D instead of jumping to the S100D. The #1 reason was to keep the interior configuration we wanted (perforated and ventilated seats, color combo, gloss obeche, etc) and #2 was the unlimited SC. I was hoping to get the 100kWh battery but the sticker on my battery says 90kWh. ;)

I think what's even more baffling is that at one point, it was 3K to upgrade an 85 to a 90. $3,000 for a 5Kwh upgrade. I remember back then the big discussion was "no point in upgrading for that kinda cash". Now you its 3K to go from 90 to 100. But that's just the tea leaves telling us that the 90 will likely die at some point. Which I think would give the 75 some better face value once the 90 is gone.

Either way, if anyone is ordering a 90D it's likely to keep options or supercharging. After all those orders are filled I can't imagine many are gonna outright order 90.

I can tell you why we decided to keep our ordered S90D instead of jumping to the S100D. The #1 reason was to keep the interior configuration we wanted (perforated and ventilated seats, color combo, gloss obeche, etc) and #2 was the unlimited SC. I was hoping to get the 100kWh battery but the sticker on my battery says 90kWh. ;)

Your choice is valid because of Unlimited Charging and ventilated seats.
But now those are gone, I don't see how people would select 90D.

Thanks for the input tho'.

I agree, other than the cost savings (which much of will be wiped out by resale), the only minimal advantage that I can see for new orders is that the battery pack of the 90D should weigh a little less. So two (very) small possible benefits from the reduced weight:
1. Less electricity used for stop&go driving (saving as much as a few dollars per year!)
2. Faster acceleration (as much as a few thousandth of a second 0-60)

And maybe more reliability from a proven and more conservative battery packaging design.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximilien
It's probably still available due to 90 batteries in inventory. When they're gone it will probably be dropped. That's my guess anyway to try to make sense of it. And why drop the price when they will eventually sell?

If so, it sounds like Selection of 90D will be there quite long time as 3K is literally nothing for those who can afford 100K car. :rolleyes:
Unless of course, they decide to have massive inventory sale for 90 battery cars with heavy discounts (which is more likely.)

If so, it sounds like Selection of 90D will be there quite long time as 3K is literally nothing for those who can afford 100K car. :rolleyes:
Unless of course, they decide to have massive inventory sale for 90 battery cars with heavy discounts (which is more likely.)

I agree with that. Tesla will sell the last 90s as inventory cars and then erase it from their configurator. I doubt that 3k will sway many customers. I'd definitely spend more on a 100D, just for the resale value. It might be different, if someone already ordered one with free SC, but there will be close to zero new orders.