Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone paint their Aero hubcaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of those that don’t like the look of the aero’s. I will probably never use them outside of testing the range on vs. off. I rarely drive more than a few miles so range is not really a big deal for me. Even on road trips the extra miles won’t change much, I would still need to stop at the same superchargers.

That said I decided to make an art project out of my aero hubcaps. I am going to try a few different looks to see if I can find a look I like. Anyone else paint them and have pics? Seeing other looks may save me a few paint jobs in finding what I like.

Here is my first attempt. If this thread stays alive I will keep posting them as I do them. Maybe help someone else find a look they like.

AB3A99C1-BECD-4914-A4DC-E338B6D11292.jpeg

I'm feeling this look, the splash of red would be perfect for my mcr. I bet they look awesome on your Model 3.
Can you share the steps and type of paint?

It is really still just a prototype paint job at this point. This one was more about seeing the look than the quality. I will share but I would recommend more effort than I put in for a final solution. I will also take pics of the process on the next one I do to give more clarity.

First step was taping off the darker areas. I just used blue painters tape and laid it right down the lines. I also taped off the entire center cap area so just the larger light grey blades were exposed.

Second step was to clean the exposed surfaces. I used detailer spray first and then rubbing alcohol. This works best in a low dust no air movement area. I buy a few plastic painting sheets and tape them to the floor and hanging from the ceiling in my garage to create a mini paint booth.

Step three is painting it, I used spray paint (I would recommend plasti-dip for this step in a non prototype). Krylon flat black was my choice because that is what was in my garage. I put the hubcap against a box so that it is sitting upright but at a slight angle. Basically the same way it is sitting in the picture in the first post. Then I shake the can and spray it down. Back and forth across the hubcap from about 12 inches away. Start with a light coat, you will still see some spots of grey underneath but you will avoid runs. Wait 20 minutes and spin the wheel about a quarter turn so the part that was on bottom is now to the side, this ensures you get all the curves from various angles. Add another light coat, repeat this process until you have solid coverage everywhere (3-4 coats). Let it dry overnight.

Step 4, after it is dry we do the red accents. Flip the hub cap over so that the front is now against the box. This part I also used Krylon spray paint, the color was regal red (I don’t think plasti dip would work for this part, spray paint or spray gun). Take the paint and spray it through the holes on the back of the hub cap from about 15 inches away. Be careful not to over apply, the coats will lay in a gradient type look, the more coats the less subtle the gradient. Let it sit overnight.

Step 5 tape off everything but the grooves in the hubcap, (the areas between blades) I was sloppy on this step. The better you can get the tape perfectly along the lines outside the grooves the better it will look.

Step 6 is to add the white lines. Once Again I used krylon spray paint color white. With all but the grooves taped just spray it down. Add around 5 coats to make sure you get a good deep white. The grooves are deep and can hold a few extra coats to ensure it is all filled in. Let it dry overnight.

Step 7 pull off all the tape

Step 8 I added a few layers of clear matte spray paint. Clear gloss may make it pop a bit more depending on the look you are going for.

I hand painted the Tesla logo. Sprayed red krylon into a puddle on a plastic sheet and used a tiny paintbrush.

That is it, I will add pics to give clarity when I take on the next one.

I am one of those that don’t like the look of the aero’s. I will probably never use them outside of testing the range on vs. off. I rarely drive more than a few miles so range is not really a big deal for me. Even on road trips the extra miles won’t change much, I would still need to stop at the same superchargers.

That said I decided to make an art project out of my aero hubcaps. I am going to try a few different looks to see if I can find a look I like. Anyone else paint them and have pics? Seeing other looks may save me a few paint jobs in finding what I like.

Here is my first attempt. If this thread stays alive I will keep posting them as I do them. Maybe help someone else find a look they like.

View attachment 342052
At first I thought what a waste of time. But those look awesome.

Need to see them on the car!

I was thinking of plasti-dipping mine.. But then I got suckered into getting the performance upgrade package instead. Now I can't even run them if I wanted to. Pffft

I only have one done so far, I will throw it on and take a pic tomorrow to give a feel for the look. I certainly wouldn’t mind the P+ but couldn’t talk the wife into the $$$, she worries enough that the AWD’s speed will get us too many tickets.

I'm feeling this look, the splash of red would be perfect for my mcr. I bet they look awesome on your Model 3.
Can you share the steps and type of paint? Outside of this one with painted Silver Aero's I haven't seen anyone else yet try: Tesla tale: A man, his Model 3, his silver Aero Wheels, and serendipity

I have the silver Model 3 , and I LOVE the silver painted Aeros !
I would love to try this on my own and see that this person used a professional detail shop to do this. Does this look like something that could be done by a novice?

It looks like the way to go is to Plasti dip the aero covers. Any opinions on other methods?

Last edited:
I would love to try this on my own and see that this person used a professional detail shop to do this. Does this look like something that could be done by a novice?

It looks like the way to go is to Plasti dip the aero covers. Any opinions on other methods?

I think plasti-dip is your best bet for the silver. I see no reason to get it done professionally and spend a grand on 20 dollar hubcaps. No one will notice the difference especially if it is all one color. Not a lot of complexity for you to make mistakes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X and laudbrian
In the process of painting mine Blaze Green (plastidip), which requires a base coat. So right now they're white. I'll post up a pic of the white (on and off the car) when I get a chance, and a pic of them in Blaze Green, which is basically neon green, when they're done.

Awesome, I am interested in seeing the white on a vehicle. I also want to hear how it goes with plastidip, I think it will look much cleaner than the spray paint I am using.

What color is the car?

Hey @plasmo this post is probably helpful if you haven't seen it already: Greetings from CA

Can you share the steps and type of paint? Outside of this one with painted Silver Aero's I haven't seen anyone else yet try: Tesla tale: A man, his Model 3, his silver Aero Wheels, and serendipity

Here are pics throughout the process. A few small areas left to paint with a brush tomorrow to finish it off but this is 90% of the process outlined above.

85868B6F-8834-4FC1-A250-B02C4253C0C5.jpeg
AC3F6477-B737-4952-B506-CD18E49FD801.jpeg
29E449D8-A870-4544-9376-775ED168F6E8.jpeg
5B2D998C-4BEA-4688-ACEE-997146D9D18C.jpeg
38F45AD0-0C21-4473-8B38-BEDE3EA19924.jpeg
4AA519B2-7822-428E-966B-B8D40F5A8ACE.jpeg
B506F76E-EE2F-4E79-9E86-17E0DFDD9445.jpeg
4D7D9E32-42C1-492A-A9A5-659219C7E7D8.jpeg
15EDCD40-1145-4363-8AEE-7845925A2C92.jpeg
0EC8329E-C333-46E4-83BD-EE95932F4564.jpeg

In the process of painting mine Blaze Green (plastidip), which requires a base coat. So right now they're white. I'll post up a pic of the white (on and off the car) when I get a chance, and a pic of them in Blaze Green, which is basically neon green, when they're done.

If I am going to plastidip my hubcaps Silver, does this need a base coat? What would people use- black or white base coat?

Also, where is a good place to buy Plasti dip colors? I notice my local shops don’t have silver or a good selection of colors other than black and white. Amazon or direct from the plasti dip website? Any other local suggestions?

Last edited: