Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone purchased and use a pre-cut ppf before?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the eBay store no. But he has a website you can order from.

I'm still not fully decided on getting PPF... Has anyone priced out getting the car repainted again vs cost of doing PPF... I can get the front PPF done for $1700...

Has anyone done the full front install? Curious to know how long that would take to do.
I did full front, but took my time and several days since I was learning and never did this before. I got my pre-cut XPEL from opuspremiumfilms. Josh is great to work with and responded to all my emails incredibly quick.

A couple tips:

Have good light! I am happy with how mine turned out, especially since it was my first time. If I had better light, I would have seen a couple hairs that I missed.

Cut each piece out of the big roll you get when it is time to apply. I didn't think about this when I did the hood. I quickly figured that out. :)

Don't worry about bubbles that appear, as long as they aren't air. You can tell the difference. I had the ppf down smooth and an hour later all these bubbles appeared. I had used the XPEL gel and these were the places where the film was adhering and pushing the small amount of gel together. This goes away after several days. Don't worry about it, and especially don't try to push it out...like I did.

Do the front bumper last. And jack up the front end of the car if possible. Makes things much easier. Don't be afraid to use that tack solution to hold down the PPF.

Keep working the "fingers" that wrap around the edges. Eventually they will stick. Don't give up on this.

Watch several YouTube videos. Several times.

I did full front, but took my time and several days since I was learning and never did this before. I got my pre-cut XPEL from opuspremiumfilms. Josh is great to work with and responded to all my emails incredibly quick.

A couple tips:

Have good light! I am happy with how mine turned out, especially since it was my first time. If I had better light, I would have seen a couple hairs that I missed.

Cut each piece out of the big roll you get when it is time to apply. I didn't think about this when I did the hood. I quickly figured that out. :)

Don't worry about bubbles that appear, as long as they aren't air. You can tell the difference. I had the ppf down smooth and an hour later all these bubbles appeared. I had used the XPEL gel and these were the places where the film was adhering and pushing the small amount of gel together. This goes away after several days. Don't worry about it, and especially don't try to push it out...like I did.

Do the front bumper last. And jack up the front end of the car if possible. Makes things much easier. Don't be afraid to use that tack solution to hold down the PPF.

Keep working the "fingers" that wrap around the edges. Eventually they will stick. Don't give up on this.

Watch several YouTube videos. Several times.
I appreciate the detailed insight, thanks!

Yup. But over squeegee the first go over. Definitely a learning curve, but also doable.
Yes, definitely a learning curve, but the curve is sharp. You pick it up really quickly.

I also recommend not trying to do too much in a single day. I did the hood and headlights to start. Next day did two side doors. Day after did the other two doors. Then fenders. Finished up with the front bumper. Mirrors and other little pieces here and there.

Reactions: brkaus
I have the same question! we have a guy who does all the work on my boyfriend’s GTR and offered to do the PPF on our MYP too. I was looking at buying precut XPEL PPF for the entire car but I’m not sure if you can order it directly from their website. anyone know of another place to order XPEL precut for the full car?

I have the same question! we have a guy who does all the work on my boyfriend’s GTR and offered to do the PPF on our MYP too. I was looking at buying precut XPEL PPF for the entire car but I’m not sure if you can order it directly from their website. anyone know of another place to order XPEL precut for the full car?
I got my XPEL from opuspremiumfilms. I have no affiliation with them other than being a really happy customer. You can search these forums and find others who had the same great experience. That's how I ended up going with them. I recommend getting the edges wrapped around.