Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF for front bumper advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up a new Model 3 this afternoon. I’m really just interested in protecting the front end, because that seems the most vulnerable, particular the large central panel where the radiator grill would be on an ICE car. Looking at some threads here, I have some questions.

It seems doing the front bumper as a single piece is the most difficult PPF project for a newbie like me so, a couple of alternatives:

1. I see that just a small piece of precut PPF is available that covers just the large flat central ”radiator“ grill section. This seems like the most vulnerable part to me, so is this enough?

2. I see that there are multi piece front sections that make the job a little easier, any thoughts on these?

Thanks!

Do the whole front bumper with a two piece precut. It will help alot to have a tack pattern. This will help align and place the pieces in a proven systematic way. I suggest you don't do the bumper as your first attempt at PPF. Practice on small easy pieces to get the feel of how the material can be stretched and manipulated. You'll also learn about the tools and materials needed. Maybe get some high wear pieces. For the Model S with wheel fare out, these would be pieces in front and behind rear wheels. As I write this, I think the front lip is easy enough to practice on. It's flat and has a roll over on the front edge. I did my whole 2022 MSLR myself. But I was prepared before the car came in. Garage was cleaner than the house as I cleaned and reorganized it for weeks before the car came in. To help with weeding, I installed a 4x8 whiteboard in the garage. I also went to a local PPF installer, he gave me a lot of tips. Not easy but it's a great challenge.

Last edited: