Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone refinish their 19” sport wheels in dark gray or black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FB_IMG_1516703034416.jpg

Reactions: steele and lupend88
Thanks for the replies everyone! My 3 will be Red and I'm trying to decide between black like wbhokie's red 3 or the "Tesla turbine gray". I like the gray color a lot on some of the red S models I've seen, guess I just need to find a shop near me who will do a good job.

Those aren't mine but yeah, I like them both ways there. I will be going with the gloss black Tsportline turbines but I liked the powder coated sport wheels a lot.

View attachment 317172

Please don't post this photo again! I was convinced that blue was the right color for me, and then I see this again... Ugh. I think I should remain off of this site until I take delivery of my P3D. I wonder if the blue will look as good as this with the same color wheels and trim?

• Funny
Reactions: TQCLove
SD_Engnr, Heh... I'm in the same boat. Ordered Deep Blue Metallic Performance, but everytime I see Franz von Holzhausen's Model 3, I have second thoughts... (Red was a close 2nd choice). But I've never owned a blue car, and for some inexplicable reason I just think blue "works" on the design of the Model 3. I still think powder coated wheels on the P3D could be very striking. The more I think about it, a dark grey chrome delete along with Tesla Turbine Grey powder coated wheels could be very cool. Cherry on top could be a blue body color match on the door handles (similar to Franz' car).

SD_Engnr, Heh... I'm in the same boat. Ordered Deep Blue Metallic Performance, but everytime I see Franz von Holzhausen's Model 3, I have second thoughts... (Red was a close 2nd choice). But I've never owned a blue car, and for some inexplicable reason I just think blue "works" on the design of the Model 3. I still think powder coated wheels on the P3D could be very striking. The more I think about it, a dark grey chrome delete along with Tesla Turbine Grey powder coated wheels could be very cool. Cherry on top could be a blue body color match on the door handles (similar to Franz' car).

Yep. Instead of going with black on the 20s, I will go with a gunmetal, as I think that matches the blue better than black. As for the chrome trim, I might go with black, but am still undecided.

Please don't post this photo again! I was convinced that blue was the right color for me, and then I see this again... Ugh. I think I should remain off of this site until I take delivery of my P3D. I wonder if the blue will look as good as this with the same color wheels and trim?

I'm also in San Diego. Let me know what you decide to do, maybe we can do it together and get a better price. I ordered June 26th and may get mine before you.

Model 3 AWD P MDM with black seats

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Yep. Instead of going with black on the 20s, I will go with a gunmetal, as I think that matches the blue better than black. As for the chrome trim, I might go with black, but am still undecided.

I'm also in San Diego.

Me three. PAWDP, red, black. I'll probably end up doing nothing, because if I went with black wheels, I'd also want to go with black window trim and black or body-color door handles -- and that's more than I want to bother. (But I'll keep an eye on this thread in case I change my mind. Again.)

(ETA: planning black licence plate, though.)

Me three. PAWDP, red, black. I'll probably end up doing nothing, because if I went with black wheels, I'd also want to go with black window trim and black or body-color door handles -- and that's more than I want to bother. (But I'll keep an eye on this thread in case I change my mind. Again.)

I'm also in San Diego. Let me know what you decide to do, maybe we can do it together and get a better price. I ordered June 26th and may get mine before you.

Model 3 AWD P MDM with black seats

Looks like we'll need to meet up once we all have our P3DPs (<--still not sure what to call it...)

@bradhs, I just found a powder coating place in CV that has stellar reviews and apparently good prices for powder coating wheels ($500). I doubt they'll do a group deal, but it could be worth a try.

Please keep me posted when you have any contact from Tesla regarding your order. I'm 2.5 weeks behind you with my order, but it will help me gauge their progress with delivering the P3Ds.

Reactions: xhawk101

(ETA: planning black licence plate, though.)

This is exactly what I'm doing. P3AWD Red / White Interior - 19" TST Black wheels, Chrome delete to include door handles and emblems, PPF and ceramic) Can't decide if I will do Kenriko's matte white center console wrap or the brushed black on the inside.

If you planning to get factory wheels and want to change the paint, take a look at Autoflex aerosols (high gloss, matt etc.)

Costs about $300 to $400 for all wheels and the best part is you can peel the paint off and try a different finish in few years.

I'm anyway planning to get 20" TST gloss black wheels once my M3 AWD arrives, but I have used Autoflex in the past for my entire exterior body (BMW X5) and it looks amazing, in many occasions it looks and feels better than OEM paint.

Btw I'm still debating if I should switch from AWD to a Performance model, I have the chance to edit the design.

These pics give you an idea of the color combination of blue paint, grey wheels, and satin black chrome delete. The first pic has satin black chrome delete, and the second picture was edited to lighten up the chrome delete and replicate what a gunmetal grey chrome delete might look like.
bluem3_grey-wheels_satin-black-delete.jpg

bluem3_grey-wheels_grey-delete.jpg

Credit for the pics to this post: Rear window tint - anyone done it?

TSportline makes some metallic grey wheels and has pictures of them installed on a blue Model 3 on their website:
deep-blue-metallic-tesla-model-3-metallic-gray-grey-19-inch-tst-1280-2_9bfd8d98-2cbb-4608-a7ed-9feea561f0dd_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I live about an hour and half from Bradford Powder Coating in Chula Vista. If other Tesla owners have found them to be really good, it may be worth the drive (unless anyone else has recommendations in Orange County).