Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone seen this paint issue before? Is it a paint issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had the car for a little less than a month and I just started noticing. You only see it when the light catches it the right way, but when it does, man you can see it from like ten feet away. Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know what it is? It’s like a perfect circle, does not clean off, but feels exactly the same. (Originally thought it was adhesive from a sticker or something but it’s smooth and certainly doesn’t feel like something stuck on the surface)

If this is a paint defect, is it too late to have Tesla do anything? I took delivery at like 9:45pm and while I used a flash light to go over the car, this isn’t noticeable unless the sun is starting to go down (think like 4pm onwards) or under garage lights.

If it is a paint defect and Tesla owns up to it, would I have to take it to a service center (~150 miles away), or could this be documented via pictures/video and then fixed locally at a certified detail shop or paint shop?

1F4D3258-B1A7-4270-966A-31686D81AA79.jpeg
C4846F74-5E57-4679-9D55-81A945410FC7.jpeg

Yes plenty of people have had these. This is from where the delivery center sanded off a paint nib (dirt in the paint). A polish will take care of it.

How interesting!! Is there any chance I can get Tesla to cover the cost of that? My PPF installer might try to tackle it (for free, well, after I paid $2800 for PPF and tint, lol) if he has time during my 1 week check up... but if he can’t, I assume it’ll require a professional since I have none of the tools and zero experience with polishing...

Probably any local body shop would buff it for $20, would take 30 seconds with a DA polisher. If your PPF guy does paint correction too he'll surely be capable (unless it’s under the PPF!)

Thankfully this isn’t... it’s on the rear quarter panel.

I assume I can trust him... though he said something like “I’m getting so many Tesla’s now I probably need to refresh my polish skills... I haven’t done any for years since PPF and tint has seen such demand...”

So hopefully it’s one of those thing you just always remember ;)