Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with Chicagoland car detail experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or how about a good hand wash?

I took mine to a place called Platinum Hand Car Wash, and they appear to do a good job. But, I have noticed some swirl marks, which I think may be from dirty hand mitts or from salt that wasn't washed off the car initially.

Has anyone gone to Bucktown's?

Unassuming little We Wash III (452 North Halsted, Chicago 60622, 312-666-3011, We Wash III - Chicago) does all the prep for Tesla Chicago and detailing for Mercedes-Benz of Chicago.

I'd ask the Chicago Service Center about CQuartz or Opti-Coat, but the nice thing about We Wash III is there's a built-in Tesla connection.

Unassuming little We Wash III (452 North Halsted, Chicago 60622, 312-666-3011, We Wash III - Chicago) does all the prep for Tesla Chicago and detailing for Mercedes-Benz of Chicago.

I'd ask the Chicago Service Center about CQuartz or Opti-Coat, but the nice thing about We Wash III is there's a built-in Tesla connection.

My opinion is that I'd recommend AGAINST using what ever service Tesla Chicago SC uses. When I took delivery of my car, it had swirls from uneven polishing, water streaks, and product buildup in crevices.

I used to own mobile detailing service as a side gig about 15 years ago....so I figured, no matter, I'll take a weekend to detail the car myself. When I did that, I found the worst thing I could find....on the rear of the hatchlid, I found swirls of scratches with paint stripped off. Small enough to miss on day of delivery on a black car, but large enough to notice when clay bar-ing the car.

I plan to do the Opti-coat by a professional....maybe. Come spring, I plan to have the car wet-sanded and fine detailed first. I'm not sure on others' cars in the area, but my car has a lot more orange peel than I care for. I'm a big fan of black cars, especially when prepared properly. Wet-sand and fine polish will smooth and deepen the factory black paint. Then Opti-coat on top of that to protect.

If you're (or anyone) is out in the NW or western burbs that needs detailer recommendations, please let me know. I've stayed in touch with a lot of the pros from years back that are still in the business. I do advise researching who is used. In the last 5 or so years, there have been a lot of 'pop-up' detailers. A lot of these detailers are 'product and tool' guys...they throw products and orbitals at paint problems. There's a lot of art and technique to proper detailing that comes with experience, mentoring, and experience. A $300 detail can easily cost $5000 for a new paintjob.

I'll second not having the SC do your detail. Take your car delivered as is and get it done professionally.

I do it myself. I recently put on Gtechniq C1 and EXOv2, and it looks fantastic. I considered Opticoat, but I didn't have the experience and cajones to put it on. :)

Not sure where you are located, but Rush Group in St Charles does incredible work. Ping Dave Rush and tell him Jeff with the Lotus sent you - he knows me well.

He's done my Lotuses a few times and also my wifes car. A black with light tan/ivory interior Infiniti QX56. Three young sons. Filthy. It comes back looking brand new.

Can't say enough about them. They are car enthusiasts too. The two brothers (Dave, Justin) and the other Dave that works there are all big Evo guys.