Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with Portland General that have solar AND time-of-use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m currently a Portland General customer that has solar but no time-of-use. I’m about to run out of my net metering bucket from generation during summer months. What I’m wondeirng is if I should use this as a chance to add TOU to my plan.

From reading over the PGE docs, it looks like the solar credits are applied to the tier in which the generation happened and then excess is applied to the next highest tier. Since I have an EV and can have the majority of my usage be off peak with timed charging, it seems to make sense to move to the TOU plan.

Anyone on PGE with both net metering and TOU have thoughts or feedback from your own experience? Thanks

Time of day is worth it by itself if most of your consumption is off-peak or even mid peak. But any consumption 5-9 hurts quickly. Look at your data and decide. Storage would help to use your production when the grid is most expensive but if you have excess production as you noted you won’t be compensated at the rate for which you injected power necessarily.