Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything I'll miss upgrading to "just" a M3 SR+ from Audi A4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really don't want to even try this.

It WILL ruin every.other.car.you'll.ever.drive.again.

(of course by this, I mean you'll love it! It's insanely great.)

You guys are going to say that I'm just going up against a brick wall here and partly you may be right but to be honest, I really don't find regen braking that amazing. Sometimes it just feels wrong like something dragging... hard to describe. I miss the feeling of just lifting off in an ICE car and letting it roll...

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
You guys are going to say that I'm just going up against a brick wall here and partly you may be right but to be honest, I really don't find regen braking that amazing. Sometimes it just feels wrong like something dragging... hard to describe. I miss the feeling of just lifting off in an ICE car and letting it roll...

Actually I'd say that this comment lines up nicely with most of the rest of your comments, meaning that you really don't like Tesla or the way they drive and that you take every opportunity to point that out.

Reactions: SammichLover
Actually I'd say that this comment lines up nicely with most of the rest of your comments, meaning that you really don't like Tesla or the way they drive and that you take every opportunity to point that out.

Gotta even out the harcore fanbois doing the same to point out how great tesla cars are.

To go a bit further on the regen thing I mentioned above, I did try to just set it to low, but then the brakes are woefully inadequate. Just to slow down you need to really stomp on the pedal, much harder compared to a properly designed system.

...Can't wait to try this...

I drove Audis for 20+ years before buying my TM3P.

The Tesla is far more fun to drive day-to-day, at the expense of some quietness on the freeway and a less comfortable back seat.

As far as the question about audio/infotainment quality: The premium audio sounds fantastic to me, especially with a good audio source. It's better than any system I had in any of those Audis. What's even better though is the infotainment system overall - it's simply generations ahead of any other mfr's. system.

I'll be interested to read your reactions after your test drive.

...but then the brakes are woefully inadequate. Just to slow down you need to really stomp on the pedal, much harder compared to a properly designed system.

No actual test results support your statement.

The Model 3P stops from 70 mph in 149 feet according to Car and Driver, or as quick/quicker than any of its direct competitors.

Reactions: SammichLover
No actual test results support your statement.

I don't need to prove this to anyone. It is very obvious to me and I know this is the same in all Teslas (same on other models I test drove).

Coming from a similar year Mazda which cost a third of the Model S I am driving, it had a way better brake system. Like day and night difference. It would pre-load the brakes using the radar and when you really needed to stop fast, it would be much easier than on conventional systems and it felt great.

I understand that the Model 3 may be a bit better but it's still a heavy car and with regen on low or off, the brakes are just inadequate compared to other newer cars. Maybe inadequate is the wrong word here because most likely in testing conditions, if you stomp on the brake with all the power of 7 tigers, it will stop fast. It won't be enjoyable, but it will stop. Let's go with poor design then.

I don't need to prove this to anyone. It is very obvious to me and I know this is the same in all Teslas (same on other models I test drove).

Coming from a similar year Mazda which cost a third of the Model S I am driving, it had a way better brake system. Like day and night difference. It would pre-load the brakes using the radar and when you really needed to stop fast, it would be much easier than on conventional systems and it felt great.

I understand that the Model 3 may be a bit better but it's still a heavy car and with regen on low or off, the brakes are just inadequate compared to other newer cars. Maybe inadequate is the wrong word here because most likely in testing conditions, if you stomp on the brake with all the power of 7 tigers, it will stop fast. It won't be enjoyable, but it will stop. Let's go with poor design then.
The stock braking legitimately, and quite handily, serves in Autocross racing.

That's far beyond what you should ever be normally doing on a public street.

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits and Zcd1
Come on, now you're just twisting words. The S and the 3 is not that different in the regard I was talking about.
Twisting your words? No, pointing out you're talking out of your butt.

They are massively different vehicles, and how they handle driving is one way in which they differ greatly. Frankly I couldn't be bothered to regularly drive as S if someone gave it to me, it isn't really what I look for in a vehicle.

Now it is entirely possible that you honestly don't like the Normal regen braking. It is really about being more responsive in the same way a standard transmission drivetrain is. Only more-so, as if you could always be downshifted. Some people are "drivers" that want that fine control and immediate responsiveness to input, some aren't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However your imagining about this braking issue? That the Model 3's stock brakes aren't pretty darn good? Yeah, clear sign you're just trying to fabricate an excuse. The pads themselves could definitely be sharper, if you're looking for Porsche levels. They won't stand up to actual road track use, either. But supposing you have trouble stopping on them on public road use? LOL

P.S. Chuckle all you want at my other post, it is entirely factual, pertinent, and you're full of BS. And if I wasn't already entirely confident of that your silence would further assure me that you've got nothing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zcd1 and cucubits
it is entirely factual, pertinent

Now this really made me chuckle.

No, I won't bother to keep this going. I understand and accept that there will always be blind fanbois in the cult of elon who just won't accept reason and always come up with "facts" to prove their point. Btw, that comment wasn't intended for you but it's good to know you like to jump in like flies in....

To be honest, I don't even know why I started posting here... well, I do know... maybe if I had read more actual honest facts about tesla before buying one, I wouldn't be here now.

No, I won't bother to keep this going.
Because you have nothing. Nothing. You are dead wrong and you can't even fake a plausible retort. So you just slip off into "fanboi" deflections.....

To be honest, I don't even know why I started posting here... well, I do know...

We all do, and I expect you won't be honest about it. Leading us to....

....maybe if I had read more actual honest facts about tesla before buying one, I wouldn't be here now.

This is a Model 3 forum. You just said you don't have a Model 3, don't really drive one.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Are you talking about "discounts" from their used inventory? If not, what kind of discounts have you and others been seeing?

Are there incentive discounts that are making new ones more appealing? This is what's happening in my situation.

Can't wait to try this. Sounds orgasmic.

Don’t get me wrong, regen break is nice and is a good benefit, but in my experience it’s a little weak in the TM3. Even with the weather now in the 60s up in MA, I still find myself having to use the breaks more often than I would expect to slow down when necessary. This is one area where my old Chevy Volt had my TM3 beat.

This is one area where my old Chevy Volt had my TM3 beat.
Never driven a Volt, can only compare to the Bolt. How much different is the Volt from the Bolt on this, if at all?

I've found, switching back and forth between both, that the Model 3 is currently on par with the Bolt. Driving in 'L' (which I always do) it is almost exactly the same overall results. In fact I recall someone on here going out and testing it highway speed down to 5 MPH and they were incredibly close, no way to be sure which was stronger regen.

Note that the Bolt's regen can at times feel stronger because it just isn't as smooth. The onset is jerkier. The Model 3 is a much more refined regen. The Bolt still has the paddle that'll give you an extra touch, but that's fairly modest and if you're operating in the range where you need it you're probably going to need to fall to the pedal at some point, anyway.

They only took it down to 5MPH testing because the Hold feature hadn't shipped yet. That Hold feature was a big addition on this front. It was something I missed, even a year plus in, when going from the Bolt to the 3. The Model 3 Hold is actually a superior feature. It actually stops the vehicle and keeps it stopped. In fact when I tested it the Model 3 has slightly stronger regen right at the bottom to stop on a steep incline, and you know exactly when it stops. The Bolt will move, it doesn't actually lock in place and will restart moving and continue indefinitely rolling down the incline if you take your foot off the pedal.

The later is why you really should always have your foot on the Bolt's brake when stopped at a light, for example. Plus the brake lights aren't on if your foot isn't on the pedal, compared to the Model 3 keeping the brake lights on when at (H).

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. To be honest, don't think I really need FSD...

And what rebate on used cars???

As far as I know the rebates are only for new cars, at least in CA.

As far as FSD, it is worth $7,000 right now and will go up in a month or so. The only benefit possibly of looking at a CPO Tesla with FSD is you might try your luck at getting them to remove it and save the $7,000 off asking price. It brings pricing more in line with a new one with rebate ($43,000 in my example) and you don't have to file any paperwork or wait for the rebate.

In the end, I think it goes back to my comment on being ready to buy exactly what you want without sacrifice. I think the SR+ is fantastic and I don't feel like I sacrificed anything. However, if I sacrificed something I really wanted like range or AWD I think I would constantly look back and might view the purchase as a mistake in the long run. Having to trade in even at 90% resale value means you just gave away what you saved in a rebate and depending on the state you only get one rebate per person so you'd be forced to buy the new car with no rebate (although you'd be $1,000 positive from your initial purchase minus rebate). Waiting a few months while you save to get exactly what you want might be the best option.

As far as I know the rebates are only for new cars, at least in CA.

As far as FSD, it is worth $7,000 right now and will go up in a month or so. The only benefit possibly of looking at a CPO Tesla with FSD is you might try your luck at getting them to remove it and save the $7,000 off asking price. It brings pricing more in line with a new one with rebate ($43,000 in my example) and you don't have to file any paperwork or wait for the rebate.

In the end, I think it goes back to my comment on being ready to buy exactly what you want without sacrifice. I think the SR+ is fantastic and I don't feel like I sacrificed anything. However, if I sacrificed something I really wanted like range or AWD I think I would constantly look back and might view the purchase as a mistake in the long run. Having to trade in even at 90% resale value means you just gave away what you saved in a rebate and depending on the state you only get one rebate per person so you'd be forced to buy the new car with no rebate (although you'd be $1,000 positive from your initial purchase minus rebate). Waiting a few months while you save to get exactly what you want might be the best option.

Good call on asking for an FSD removal to potentially save $7k.

Glad you felt like you didn't sacrifice anything by getting the SR+.

Reactions: EV-CPO