Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 in the bay area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Recently picked up my S75 and been driving it around the bay to get acquainted. As a preface, I absolutely love the car but haven't been very impressed by auto-pilot yet.

On certain roads it performs well, but on hills, tunnels, or when the sun is reflecting a certain way, auto steer feels less confident on the road (esp relative to my colleagues' older MS w/AP 1)

I know that AP 2.0 isn't up to par yet generally with AP 1.0 but was really surprised that bay area, home of Tesla / many Xs and Ss, are facing similar challenges.

Am I an isolated case or are other bay area drivers with AP 2.0 having similar issues?

I mostly used AP 2.0 in freeways. And for me it works great. I use it during my commute from Peninsula to Easy Bay and during heavy stop and go traffic. I don't have experience with AP 1.0 to compare against though. Another thing that does happen is over time you learn the limitations of AP and work around it. For example, I don't use the change lane feature in heavy traffic.

• Helpful
Reactions: TwitchADC
Am I an isolated case or are other bay area drivers with AP 2.0 having similar issues?
Your issues are not unique to the Bay Area. EAP works great in certain use cases (as noted by @dmode ) but it has its limitations. Use it, pay attention, learn where it works best, and it can be awesome. Remember that it will continue to improve over time. Patience...

I am currently in New Mexico. Drove there from the SF Bay Area. I love EAP on wide open freeways and in stop-and-go traffic. It makes long distance trips much more relaxing and enjoyable.

• Helpful
Reactions: TwitchADC and bmah
Your issues are not unique to the Bay Area. EAP works great in certain use cases (as noted by @dmode ) but it has its limitations. Use it, pay attention, learn where it works best, and it can be awesome. Remember that it will continue to improve over time. Patience...

I am currently in New Mexico. Drove there from the SF Bay Area. I love EAP on wide open freeways and in stop-and-go traffic. It makes long distance trips much more relaxing and enjoyable.

This idea of learning the limitations of the system, when it’s appropriate for use, etc., is key. AP1 drivers went through this too (the details were different I’d imagine), although not everybody remembers (or realilzes it). I’ve never driven an AP2 car, but if I were going to, I’d imagine I’d do so more-or-less like I did with AP1...try it out in a few use cases, being ready to jump in when things went weird, and then gradually relax over time and let it do more as it proves itself.

There’s a thread titled “A Flight Instructor Teaches Autopilot” in one of the Model S subforums. AP2 drivers who haven’t read through this thread, probably should. It was written awhile ago but I believe it’s still relevant today.

Bruce.